Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
GrinchofLA

Angry 2011 Cougar High Country 296BHS - rubber roof peeled off!

We just purchased a 2011 Cougar High Country 296BHS in March 2011 and are not happy! We have only towed our new 5th wheel for 400 miles and the rubber roof peeled off taking our tv antennae with it. I have been camping for 25 years and have never seen a problem like this! We left South Toledo Bend State Park (and yes our antennae was down) and we stopped in DeRidder, LA to show my camper to my insurance agent and everything was fine. Somewhere between DeRidder and Lake Charles, LA (where I live) the rubber roof peel backed and I had no idea this happened until I pulled in my driveway!

I had noticed air bubbles and actually long air streaks in the rubber roof membrane 2 weeks prior when I was washing it but the warranty book and my dealer said this was normal. Don't believe them! I have had many different campers over the years and there were never any air streaks like this in any of their roofs!

Anyway, we contacted the dealer (70 miles away) and he told us to bring it in. We took many pictures for evidence! On 5/30/11 we took back roads to bring it to the dealer in Lafayette and as we drove the rubber roof kept peeling back more and taking off vents and skylights! The rubber roof appears to not have had a good bond on the wood beneath it. On 6/24/11 Keystone has finally agreed to fix it but we are so disgusted we may get rid of it! Of course the dealer has promised to fix it better than the factory installed it! We will see!

GrinchofLA
Lake Charles, LA
GrinchofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
CORATTLER

This is the 1st time that I've ever heard of this happening to this extent. That's not to say it hasn't happened to others. Did the front molding that holds down the front let loose or was the rubber not secured under it in the 1st place?
Whatever happened, they certainly owe it to you to make it 100% right. Hopefully your dealer has competent techs to perform the required repairs.
Good luck!!
CORATTLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
antiqfreq

Please DO keep us informed of the progress of the repairs and solutions for your camper.

We are interested and hope all is fixed to your satisfaction.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
sharon

Unhappy

I am shocked to hear about your roof problem. We just purchased the same fifth wheel in June from a dealer in Ohio and registered it in Canada. I am concerned about this now as we have friends who have a Cougar they purchased last year after their older Cougar was stolen. Their model is the non-helium one. They were returning from Arizona in the spring when their roof peeled off. They had it repaired at their dealership, but they just returned from a holiday here and the roof has peeled off once again.

I would say that Keystone has a problem!! This is our first experience with RV's and I am hoping we are not heading down a road of torment. We have already blown a tire and sustained damage to the rig as a result .
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
I am shocked to hear about your roof problem. We just purchased the same fifth wheel in June from a dealer in Ohio and registered it in Canada. I am concerned about this now as we have friends who have a Cougar they purchased last year after their older Cougar was stolen. Their model is the non-helium one. They were returning from Arizona in the spring when their roof peeled off. They had it repaired at their dealership, but they just returned from a holiday here and the roof has peeled off once again.

I would say that Keystone has a problem!! This is our first experience with RV's and I am hoping we are not heading down a road of torment. We have already blown a tire and sustained damage to the rig as a result .
Welcome to the Keystone Forum, Sharon. You talked of your friend's problem with his roof "blowing off" and being repaired by a dealership and later "blowing off" again. One would have to believe that the dealer that reinstalled or repaired the roof may not have completed the job correctly. Do you have any specifics of what happened?

As for your problem with a blown tire, Had you checked the tire pressure? How fast were you towing? Are there any observations that you or others can give to explain the incident more clearly?

I hope you get your problems resolved and enjoy your RV, it's made for pleasure, I hope you get to experience all it can provide for you and your family.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote