Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
chartrand

Which is the better surface to park on?

I have Gravel, or Asphalt that I can park my trailer on, is one surface preferred over another to park on?

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Given those options I would choose the asphalt for long term parking. Not that I'm any kind of materials expert, but I would think even tension on the tread would be better than pointed pressure "points". Hopefully someone with some scientific data can verify or puncture holes in my theory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
maverick_415

Not sure which is preferred but when I looked into adding asphalt or base rock to my backyard for my RV parking I was told to avoid asphalt as it would sag and crack under the long term stationary weight of the tires. Concrete is the best option but very expensive so I went with base rock because it is so cheap and does the job just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I have Gravel, or Asphalt that I can park my trailer on, is one surface preferred over another to park on?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
gearhead

I put down crushed limestone over a road base material for my rv parking. But I have 2x12 boards for the tires to sit on. I don't why, but I do.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
GaryWT

If you have to park on dirt, put boards or bricks under the tires. I have crushed stone but put patio bricks under the tires.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW I have a concrete pad. Traded some auto repair work for the cement labor, only paid for the actual cement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Desert185

FROM MICHELIN:

"LONG TERM STORAGE AND RV TIRES
Unless the RV owner is a full-time RV-er, the vehicle
probably spends some time in long-term storage. But what
the RV owner probably didn’t know is that rubber tires age
when not being used. So, if the owner must store the RV,
a cool, dry, sealed garage is the best bet. Also, some storage
surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That’s why Michelin
recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or
plywood) between the tire and the storage surface.
Here are some other steps the RV owner can take to help
reduce the aging effects from long-term storage:
1) Thoroughly clean tires with soap and water before
placing into storage.
2) Cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet rays.
3) Store out of a high ozone area.
Note: When a vehicle is stored, tires should be inflated to
the inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.
Before removing the vehicle from long-term storage,
thoroughly inspect each tire — this includes sidewalls, tread
area, and air pressure. If the tires have lost air, be sure to
inflate them to the correct pressure before driving."
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
jerseyphil

I have a crushed stone parking area, but I put down 16 inch square 2 inch thick concrete blocks for the tires to sit on. It works great!
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
CWtheMan

IMO trailer tires should always be setting on some sort of barrier material no matter what type of surface the trailer is being parked on.

I’ve always used wooden blocking materials that I normally get from new home construction discards. I just ask the Forman whenever I see one of those large dumpsters full of trashed lumber.

I cut a 45 degree angle on one end (or both) and make sure the entire tire footprint will be supported on the block’s surface. As depicted below.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=16759

Whenever the surface is level I use thin Ľ” material as shown in the pix.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=16760

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Desert185

Here's more from Trailer King tires, the (china bomb) tires I just removed from my SRX with 8/32" tread remaining. Pretty flimsy sidewalls and glad to have them removed. Oddly, they have the same exact tread pattern as the Maxxis (made in Thailand, and with a good reputation) that replaced them.

"Long Term Tire Storage & Care

Long term tire storage, or storage of seasonal use recreational vehicles requires special preparations. RVs should be raised on blocks, so weight is removed from the tires. Storage should be in a dry, cool, sealed garage.

If blocking is not possible, tire pressure should be increased 25% from inflation required for the loaded vehicle. The RV/trailer storage area should be level and well drained. Care should be taken to avoid prolonged tire contact with petroleum based substances: oils, fuels and asphalt. This can be accomplished by placing cardboard or plywood between all tires and storage surface.

The RV should be moved every three months to prevent flat spotting and ozone cracking at the tire sidewall flex point. Flat spots usually disappear, when the tires warm-up, after a 25+ mile drive. Flat spotting, which occurs on vehicles not moved for six, or more months may not disappear."

...and storage recommendations from Maxxis:

"Maxxis recommends storing tires indoors in a clean, cool and dry area away from UV rays or ozone gases (eg. generators). Tires should be stacked flat and reduced to 15 psi if mounted on wheels during storage.

If tires must be stored outdoors, Maxxis recommends raising tires off the storage surface to avoid excessive contact with the elements. If possible, wrap the tires in an opaque polyethylene cover to minimize the effects of ozone and oxygen.

If a trailer is being stored without removing the tires, place blocks under the trailer to remove all weight from the tires. Avoid moving the trailer during extreme cold weather.

Always adjust inflation pressure before putting tires back into service."
Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #11
Rex1vt

tires,tires,tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Here's more from Trailer King tires, the (china bomb) tires I just removed from my SRX with 8/32" tread remaining. Pretty flimsy sidewalls and glad to have them removed. Oddly, they have the same exact tread pattern as the Maxxis (made in Thailand, and with a good reputation) that replaced them.

"Long Term Tire Storage & Care

Long term tire storage, or storage of seasonal use recreational vehicles requires special preparations. RVs should be raised on blocks, so weight is removed from the tires. Storage should be in a dry, cool, sealed garage.

If blocking is not possible, tire pressure should be increased 25% from inflation required for the loaded vehicle. The RV/trailer storage area should be level and well drained. Care should be taken to avoid prolonged tire contact with petroleum based substances: oils, fuels and asphalt. This can be accomplished by placing cardboard or plywood between all tires and storage surface.

The RV should be moved every three months to prevent flat spotting and ozone cracking at the tire sidewall flex point. Flat spots usually disappear, when the tires warm-up, after a 25+ mile drive. Flat spotting, which occurs on vehicles not moved for six, or more months may not disappear."

...and storage recommendations from Maxxis:

"Maxxis recommends storing tires indoors in a clean, cool and dry area away from UV rays or ozone gases (eg. generators). Tires should be stacked flat and reduced to 15 psi if mounted on wheels during storage.

If tires must be stored outdoors, Maxxis recommends raising tires off the storage surface to avoid excessive contact with the elements. If possible, wrap the tires in an opaque polyethylene cover to minimize the effects of ozone and oxygen.

If a trailer is being stored without removing the tires, place blocks under the trailer to remove all weight from the tires. Avoid moving the trailer during extreme cold weather.

Always adjust inflation pressure before putting tires back into service."
There have been more postings of late regarding tires,some from veterans,some from less informed,like me. I had been looking into various manufacture web sites regarding warranty and storage and viewed the above
information on the respective sites and wondered if this road had been traveled on the forum before.I honestly was not aware of the recommendation to block the rv in storage and seriously doubt much use.I thought this heads up may be of interest again.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
poncho62

6 patio stones in the grass....one under each wheel and under the legs
Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
notanlines

LHM, can anyone imagine coming in from a last trip and removing 4-6 RV tires and wheels, stacking them in the living room (you don't have room in the garage) after wrapping them in $75.00 worth of Saran wrap? Oh, I forgot to mention you have to lower the pressure to 15psi. And then go about winterizing your beast. All this is going to make DW give you the evil eye over her glasses. Just put 'em on stones or pieces of plywood and block the sun from one side.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #14
Desert185

It can get crazy and overly obsessive. I'm just going to park it with a plywood, surface barrier, shade the tires and hope for the best without china bombs.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

In a perfect world, I'd follow Maxxis' recommendations about storing tires over the winter. In a perfect world, I'd eat more broccoli, tofu, quinoa, fish and less red meat and coffee.

Move over hankaye and let me join you in "striving for a less complicated life".
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

I inspect them before and during travel. Remove all at spring clean up and again inspect them along with 4 on the boat trailer. They get replaced every 5-7 years, so I do not cover or place them on blocks. I have a cement driveway( 27 yards worth) my vehicles sit on.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote