Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
KanTC

Giggle for the Day

Not RV related, but a giggle for those who remember "life before cell phones".

Pass the Salt
https://www.youtube.com/embed/6_-xTxP1hD4?autoplay=1

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Thanks that was funny... But so true!:d
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
azlee56

that's funny and I could see me doing what the dad did.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
thewhitehat

If Dad had had a phone of his own, he could have texted his son to pass the salt!
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

That sure makes a good point and funny. I am up to speed with texting, I text ok, no, yes. Any more I call them back and talk. My wife still runs to answer the home phone or cell. I just let them take a message unless I have the phone at arms length.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

During my "working years" I was tied to an "electronic rope", first as one of the old pagers (you had to call the office to get the number to call back), then a voice pager that played the number, then a digital pager that actually gave you the number to call. All of those "technologies" required you to stop, find a pay phone and call for information. Then, along came cell phones, first, a "bag phone" that cost about $1 a minute to use, was installed in the car and not portable, followed by the old Nokia phone that was "voice only" and you could buy a "personalized keyboard overlay" to change your phone's "look".

Finally, in 2004 I bought a Motorola RAZR, the "latest and greatest". Throughout all those "upgrades in service" I was on call 24/7, day in and day out, ready to head to the hospital at a moment's call. I don't think I ever had three meals in a row without having to stop to consult on an emergency. It was a very rewarding career, one I'd not change for anything, but now that it's over, I simply no longer have the "urge or need" to keep that closely "in touch with an electronic link to every breath I take.

When I retired, I promised myself I'd no longer be "handcuffed by electronics" so that same RAZR, now 10 year old technology, is in the console of the truck, plugged into a 12VDC charger and connected to SYNC for emergency reporting of airbag deployment.

Otherwise, like dad in that video, I relegate myself to a keyboard that I can "close the top" and shut down the entire experience. No longer do I listen for the beep, jump at the ringtone or rush to read the text. Anymore, if it's that important, they'll leave a message or call back at a "convenient time".

Funny, but since we no longer answer the phone, we no longer get interrupted by solicitation calls during supper. And I promise, if we're all at the same table, I'll hear you if you ask me to pass the salt.

I kind of like it this way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
If Dad had had a phone of his own, he could have texted his son to pass the salt!
Yup!! Thanks for the laugh.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote