Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
dirt33

Tires on F150

Hello. I have searched through all of the tire and tow vehicle threads, and used the search function. Have found alot of good info, but I guess I feel that I need to start a new thread with specific info to get some clarity.

I use a 2008 F150XLT Crew Cab (6.5 bed) with 5.4L engine to tow a 2010 Bullet 246RBS. I recently bought the trailer, and had a long distance to drive to get it. The day before I left, I went to Discount Tire as the BFG's on my truck were shot. They did not have BFG's in stock, so I ended up just getting pretty much "what they had available". I certainly had/have trailer tires on my mind, but I wasn't giving much thought at all to truck tires and the importance of getting the "right" tires on my truck to tow a travel trailer.

So, after reading threads on here, I assumed, "Great, here's another grand I need to spend on better/different tires", as I assumed I had "P" tires on my truck.

Just went out and looked. I have:

Yokohama YK-HTX
Extra load 265/60R18 114H
Max load 2601 lbs at 50 psi

I was expecting there to be a letter in front of the 265/60R18, such as P. Instead it has (spelled out) "Extra load". So, at this point I am doing more assuming/guessing than I would like to. So, I figure, I might at well just ask on the Keystone forum and have someone explain to me in simple terms if these tires are good for towing, or not. (I know the info should be pretty simple to understand. I think I am in a state where I have read too much and overloaded my thinking)

Thank you.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
therink

There also should be a designation on the tire showing what the "Load Range" is and how many plies. A good Towing tire is a Load Range E 10ply, in which has a 80 psi max inflation specification. These tires are usually load rated at 3,042 lbs each. These are considered to be good tires for towing most heavier trailers. What is more important in your case is your trucks payload and axle ratings. You should not exceed these no matter what the load ratings of your tires are.
Generally speaking, E rated tires have stiffer sidewalls than P rated tires that come standard on most 1/2 ton trucks and are better suited for towing. Not sure what "Extra Load" means.
Have you loaded your 246RBS and weighed it yet?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Check the ply rating on the sidewall. I have not seen that low psi max rating on LT tires. I am aware of 65 and 80 max psi on 8 and 10 ply tires. I have towed with 6 ply tires and than switched to 10 ply. BIG difference and that was towing with 1/2 ton truck, there is a more staible ride while towing, bad part they can ride rougher when empty. Others may have better information, that just what I know.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
dirt33

Boy, I can't find a "load range" listed on these tires at all. As far as plies, the information is listed on the tire. Attaching a photo, not sure how well (large) it will display....

The ply information says:

Plies: sidewall polyester 2
Tread polyester 2 + steel 2 + nylon 1

I have looked every inch of all sidewalls over and cannot find anything about the load range.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Have you loaded your 246RBS and weighed it yet?
No, I have not. I weighed it empty as per TX requirements to title/register. It was 5008 pounds empty. I do intend to go back to the scale as the trailer is now loaded/set up as we will use it. I will be interested to see the loaded number. Doesn't "seem" like much has gone in, but I'm sure it all adds up to a number higher than what I would think.

EDIT: I towed the trailer (empty of course) about 1500 miles home, and have taken it out on one loaded trip thus far. With the E2 hitch, it pulls great. Never had any issues at all, straight and easy. So, I guess mainly I am just trying to make sure that everything as I have set up is "OK". I don't have any complaints, or am not needing to improve the ride or anything. I certainly do understand that E tires would be the "best" tire. I just want to make sure my family and I (and others on the highway) are safe driving down the road. (On that note, the trailer tires will be getting replaced ASAP. Tow Master on there currently, and heck they are brand new from the dealer. What's a guy to do with a set of nearly new China tires? Trash 'em?)
Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Javi

run them for a year or two before buying new ones..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
BulletOwner1

Off the Yokohama site:

265/60R18 114H 05420 XL 720/A/A 35.7 8 7.5,8.5 10.6 30.5 8.1 12 13.9 681 2601 @ 50(Max load cold at 50lbs)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
run them for a year or two before buying new ones..
Javi, you are referring to the Yokohama's on the truck, and NOT the Tow Masters on the trailer, correct? (Just making sure, as both sets are nearly new).
Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
Yokohama YK-HTX

Thank you.
Rather than a "Load Rating" letter as we hear so often, you did provide the "Load Index" of 114. The Discount Tire Company website has a Tire Load Index (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.do) which shows the 114 to carry a maximum load of 2,601 lbs per tire.

Is this what you have been looking for?
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Javi, you are referring to the Yokohama's on the truck, and NOT the Tow Masters on the trailer, correct? (Just making sure, as both sets are nearly new).
No I'm talking about the Tow Masters, while many people describe them as Blow Masters the truth is thousands of them are on the road today and only a very few actually blow out. If truth was know probably no more than any other brand of tire. Folks tend to blame anything but themselves for things breaking on RV's and for that matter in all aspects of life.

Check the date codes, be sure to replace if you see weather cracks, keep them inflated properly, drive within their speed rating, and use common sense on bad roads and they last you as well as most brands.

Are there better tires... yes do you have to replace brand new tires just to feel safe... that's up to you, but I wouldn't
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Hello.

Yokohama YK-HTX

Thank you.
When used on a truck or trailer that tire must be derated. So for your purpose its real load capacity is 2365# at 50 psi.

Suitable LT tire replacements will help stabilize your truck when towing and provide much more load capacity.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
Rather than a "Load Rating" letter as we hear so often, you did provide the "Load Index" of 114. The Discount Tire Company website has a Tire Load Index (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.do) which shows the 114 to carry a maximum load of 2,601 lbs per tire.

Is this what you have been looking for?
I mainly was just curious to know "what type of tires are these anyway?" Thought it was pretty strange that they do not list the load range at all. No E, no LT, not even a P....

Just found info on Discount's website that these tires are load range "XL". Some of the Yokohma's are "SL", whereas "XL" stands for Extra Load. Are these common tire "ratings", or have Yokohama/Discount (this is a Discount Tire exclusive tire model from what I can see...) decided to invent their own "ratings?"

For warranty, it shows 70,000 for P and 50,000 for LT. So, I guess I sit here and wonder, "Well which category do I fall in? You never indicate either on the tire......???" EDIT: no, I did not inquire or care about the warranty at the time of purchase. I have the protection plan from Discount should something happen early in the tires' life, and I know the tires will be due for replacement long before the mileage would come into play, as the truck gets very little use (48,000 miles on a 2008, most of which is from the first 3 years of its life).

Little bit odd... I guess I will just run them and see how it goes. Obviously they aren't the "bottom of the bin" tires, or at least I would HOPE the "Extra Load" designation would be good for something...

EDIT: This tire model is apparently new. I did find info that states that an "E" tire will be available in September 2014.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
No I'm talking about the Tow Masters, while many people describe them as Blow Masters the truth is thousands of them are on the road today and only a very few actually blow out. If truth was know probably no more than any other brand of tire. Folks tend to blame anything but themselves for things breaking on RV's and for that matter in all aspects of life.

Check the date codes, be sure to replace if you see weather cracks, keep them inflated properly, drive within their speed rating, and use common sense on bad roads and they last you as well as most brands.

Are there better tires... yes do you have to replace brand new tires just to feel safe... that's up to you, but I wouldn't
OK thanks Javi. The Tow Masters have a date of mid-2013. They certainly don't have much use on them at all (this trailer was on the dealer's lot for 8 months+ before I came along and swept it up). Of course being new to "ownership" of an RV, I still have quite a list of things that money needs to be spent on (generator, Dish Tailgater, etc). So, I have been sitting here for a week or so thinking that the trailer tires better get moved to the top of the list, but really was having difficulty with that since they are so new. I do have one trip planned to Kansas City and Iowa in a month, and then another to Las Vegas in November. Thinking about these trips, and from pouring over all of the threads on this forum for the last few weeks and "learning" alot, I guess I will just adopt the mindset of, "Be prepared, go slow, take it easy...." and hope that all goes well.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
When used on a truck or trailer that tire must be derated. So for your purpose its real load capacity is 2365# at 50 psi.

Suitable LT tire replacements will help stabilize your truck when towing and provide much more load capacity.

CW
Thank you for the help CW.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thank you for the help CW.
Here is a little more information. I thought you knew the tires in question are Passenger rated tires. When the P precedes the numbers it indicates that the tire is engineered to the American Tire and Rim Association (TRA) standards. When the P is absent it indicates European engineering standards were used. There are very few other differences. To have DOT approval the DOT must be molded into the tire sidewall.

Load Range is the only official descriptive term used with/on LT & ST tires. Service descriptions may be found on some ST & LT tires and a lot of retailers use both methods when describing their stock.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Here is a little more information. I thought you knew the tires in question are Passenger rated tires. When the P precedes the numbers it indicates that the tire is engineered to the American Tire and Rim Association (TRA) standards. When the P is absent it indicates European engineering standards were used. There are very few other differences. To have DOT approval the DOT must be molded into the tire sidewall.

Load Range is the only official descriptive term used with/on LT & ST tires. Service descriptions may be found on some ST & LT tires and a lot of retailers use both methods when describing their stock.
OK thanks again CW for giving me some info. I did not know for sure if these were P tires, the absence of the P was throwing me off.

Pretty funny sometimes how you can think one way as far as "being covered" and then find out that you really are "way off". I stood out there the day I got my trailer home and thought, "Well shoot, brand new tires on the truck and almost new tires on the trailer! At least I can check those two things off the list."

Now, a few weeks later, I realize that I have China Bombs on the trailer and passenger tires on the truck. Certainly wish the importance of the truck tires would have occurred to me sooner, and I wish I had browsed around on this forum prior to going to get the trailer.

With the trailer tires, "it is what it is." That's what it came with, and understandably so from a dealer. The day I replace those, it won't be much bother to me. However, the truck tires.... It's going to burn me pretty good to walk into Discount for the second time in about a month............... Lesson learned I guess. I guess I will just laugh. There are TONS more things in this world that I don't currently know that I'm sure I will find out some day.