Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #21
audio1der

I lock everything. I want to be trustworthy, but it's a transient lifestyle and neighbors are often gone before we wake...
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #22
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjh1958 View Post
We were at several camp sites over the past year and we saw at least one couple who lock and unlock all doors to their trailer anytime they left the site. So in a day, we watched them lock and unlock all the doors at least 5-6 times.
Then usually on the other side, we saw at least one couple who had everything out in the open and never locked or even closed their doors while they left the site.
We just usually lock up if I am leaving for the day and coming home at night. Things I really don't want to walk away stay with me in our tow vehicle (cells, laptops, tablets etc).
I've even left our tailgater satellite dish out on the picnic table for weeks with only a chain and lock. I don't think people target campers much..... maybe teens looking for beer at times....
Happy camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster81 View Post
My brother in law and a couple friends were out fishing most of the day and returned to their campsite to find their cooler full of beer and chairs were in the next campsite. They were being used by a bunch of young men who denied stealing them and claimed they were their own. My brother in law is a lot more even tempered than me. He reported it to the host but still came home without their possessions
That is the only thing that I have had taken from my camp site. Although not as bold as those guys. Teens would take my growlers out of my cooler (since they are too big for the fridge) the least they could have done was finish them instead of letting them get warm and skunked. Oh well at least I got the bottles back. Like others have said I have heard of thefts but it is usually near the big cities.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #23
sbmarks3

I was in a campground years ago south of Chattanooga, TN in Ringold, GA. During the night almost every camp site was hit by thieves. I lost two bicycles (that were strapped in my truck) many lost CB radios ice chests ect. We drove around the next day, found a seedy looking mobile home park near by, started asking around. Long story short everyone got their items back, a local punk got a trip to the can.
I'm in a park in NM now and last week someone had their fifth wheel hitch stolen from next to their trailer.
I try to keep everything locked up.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #24
turbopilot51

Theft happens even when parked in storage. Happened to us last year so we changed storage lot. We always try to keep things locked up when out and about.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #25
wbatto

Firewood is the hot item

Hi all,
We take our camper on two week vacations once a year, and leave it parked the rest of the season in a park a couple of hours away. Nothing comes up missing but firewood! I think the reason why is, someone pulls in and thinks " hey that guy will never miss 4-5 sticks" After 6-7 time of that and you have no wood left.
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #26
SAABDOCTOR

mark everything! in aplce where it will not be noticed by the theif. take a picture of the marks to show to the local L.E.O.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
rhandyr99

Bike Stolen

My son's bike was stolen from LakeWood Campground Myrtle Beach - We had a cable on it but it wasn't locked. Its was a really nice bike... Golf carts are stolen there all the time as well! Security Guard was not interested in hearing about it or helping us...

& Protected by 2 attack dachshunds

Previous RV's
2003 Cardinal 31LE 5th Wheel

2000 Terry 5th Wheel BH 30'

1995 Salem TT 22'

Pop up Tent (we lasted 4 hours)
rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #28
Essness

If you secure your site, you eliminate the possibility of a crime of convenience. It's too easy for someone to walk up and see something and say, "I like that" and if they are not honest folks, they will now own it.
we tend to go to off road parks where the campground will empty out while everyone is riding during the day. So, we lock up.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
rhandyr99

Actually it was chained but the lock was not actually locked - my son forgot to close the lock.. It was his new bike that was stolen...they left the other bikes but took his... Live and Learn....

& Protected by 2 attack dachshunds

Previous RV's
2003 Cardinal 31LE 5th Wheel

2000 Terry 5th Wheel BH 30'

1995 Salem TT 22'

Pop up Tent (we lasted 4 hours)
rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Retired prison guard..if I'm not sittin inside it or next to it it's LOCKED. 25+years of locking people IN makes it habit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
mikell

Funny story from a co worker when he was about 15 hunting with his grandpa. Walking back to camp 3 guys in a truck drove by and stop just past and said thanks. they got to what was left of their camp and 1 tire on the truck slashed.
Gramps changed the tire and headed to town sure enough the first bar they came to the truck was there.

They headed inside and right up to the table table where the 3 sat and told them they could walk out and return their stuff and he would walk away.

They laughed but just for a second, when the police arrived they were handcuffed together on the floor hand to foot and grandpa was drinking beer.

6'6" and a State Police Commander no real questions asked of grandpa and my coworker. They were given one of the local cops hunting cabin for the rest of their stay
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #32
SAABDOCTOR

I love happy endings:d
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
Ken / Claudia

Good story, refer back to my post #18. CALL the COPS. Park employees Park Hosts and security guards are not trained to arrest bad guys and investigate crimes. You can ask them to help but, what will and can they do nothing. Yes, unless the crooks are still around or you have a good license plate they may not be found. But, you do not know if the stolen items come up found at a nearby dope house, pawn shop etc. You will not know if the police have possible suspects in mind already and just need a detailed report of stolen stuff to get a warrent and boot their door.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #34
floatflyer

I have been full timing for almost two years now with no problems. I do research places in advance and avoid any park that seems like there are"trailer trash" types around. Retired folks and working type families have been excellent neighbors. I lock the doors if I'm gone for the day but not just for a grocery run or such. My kayak, BBQ grill, etc., sit out and have never been disturbed. The other campers I've spoken to say the same thing. Not to say my grill won't be gone tomorrow morning but it's unlikely and I don't worry about it.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote