Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
lifecamper

Trailer King Tires? Opinions needed

I have a Springdale 279 5th wheel. All 4 tires are starting to separate so I won't move until I have 4 new ones. I have a quote from Big-o and Goodyear here in Pahrump NV. of $530 mounted and balanced. Big-O will include Nitrogen. I can buy Trailer King load range E for $378 delivered to me here. $84 gets them mounted and balanced with Nitrogen. So, which way would you go? It is only a $68 difference so which tire is best? Anyone used any of these options?
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can buy Maxxis ST20575R15 LRD for $86.99 per tire at this discount tire dealer:

http://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-75r15-tl15703000-tires

doing the math, total cost for what is usually agreed upon to be the best ST tire on the market is $467.90 delivered to your door. Then, just find someone to mount/balance them (probably $20 a tire) for a total cost of about $540 for the "Cadillac" of ST tires.

Do some research on here regarding ST tires and you'll find that most are made in China and are called "China bombs" for a reason. Goodyear Marathon ST tires are also currently made in China, so their reliability is questionable as well. It really doesn't matter if Goodyear stands behind them and will replace them when one throws a tread at 65MPH and destroys the side of your camper on the first day of your vacation. Getting a new tire at the next town may or may not get you back in vacation mode. Chances are, you'll be limping home, upset that your trailer is torn up and your vacation is ruined. I'd stick with ST tires from what appears to be the best manufacturer (Maxxis) and the price is essentially the same as the "bombs"

(EDIT): After reading the post following mine, I realized the 279 is a larger Springdale model and uses ST225 75R 15 tires. The ones on the RV are 8 ply, and as stated in the following post, upgrading to 10 ply (LR E) if the wheels are capable of the increased pressure would be a good option. Either way, whether you remain with 8 ply tires or upgrade to 10 ply one, Maxxis would remain my choice for ST tires. Here are links for them, but you may find them cheaper locally.

10 ply: $553 total price: http://simpletire.com/maxxis-225-75r15-tl15713000-tires
8 ply: $497 total price: http://simpletire.com/maxxis-225-75r15-tl15710000-tires

I apologize for thinking the 279 was one of the smaller Springdale fifth wheels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecamper View Post
I have a Springdale 279 5th wheel. All 4 tires are starting to separate so I won't move until I have 4 new ones. I have a quote from Big-o and Goodyear here in Pahrump NV. of $530 mounted and balanced. Big-O will include Nitrogen. I can buy Trailer King load range E for $378 delivered to me here. $84 gets them mounted and balanced with Nitrogen. So, which way would you go? It is only a $68 difference so which tire is best? Anyone used any of these options?
I'm not very good about doing tire recommendations by brand name. However, I have no problem talking about options.

The only Springdale 279 models I could find the specs for showed ST225/75R15D sized tires as being Original Equipment. A lot of the available brands carry that sized tire in a LRE. It may be best to go up to that load range to help offset your separation problem. Rims will have to be able to hold the 80 psi pressure of the LRE tire.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote