Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
outrider

Smile 1st Long Trip Done

Hello all, Viv and I just completed our first big trip from Maine to Texas via
PA and AR. 2,665 miles. 1st comment about Duramax and High Country.
WOW! Not only am I surprised by the truck but also about the 5er.

Honest 10.5mpg and highway speeds at or just below the speed limits. What a difference years make when compared to an 86 suburban diesel pulling a 31' Airstream and the 5er. Which was done three times with them compared to this trip. Didn't notice the buffeting from big rigs and tankers near as much. Hard braking once (near Hartford Ct of course) was not as traumatizing as it was back then.

Of course, diesel prices were MUCH higher now then back in 86-88. Ouch.

Comparing vehicle power and refinements....no comparison. This Chevrolet 2500HD is a DREAM when comparing it to the suburban. Power, power and more power. Also, the engine braking works flawlessly. The big test will come in the spring when we leave TX for Alaska and then back to Maine.

Accompanied by Peanut
known as mouth with legs
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
summerhummer

Wow that is a long pull. If braking in Hartford was the only issue that is great. looking at your trip Hartford was on the very early leg of your trip.

I have no idea of what the power was on that vintage burb with the diesel. I have heard so much about the fabled burb with a diesel I wanted to know how it compared to a 2006 gasser suburban with the 8.1L. I really wanted to know how the 2500 burban compared to a durmax. I assume the Dmax is a better way to go but I wanted to know by how much, thus knowing what the 86 was something I was curious about.....
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
bobbecky

The old 6.2L GM diesels were very low power compared to the Duramax, even the early Duramax engines. I was curious also, found the following link that gives the specs on the 6.2.

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/6.2L-gm.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
chris199

Hartford traffic is a mess! Drove thru there twice on trip from SE PA to Bar Harbor. Dangerous in my opinion. Roads were in terrible shape.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
outrider

Hi. To compare; The 86 burb was a great vehicle. I never lacked for power. However, when it is compared to the 2012 2500HD...no comparison. The HD wins.Remember though, the airstream weighed considerably less than my HC. It weighs in at 11900 with all our STUFF. The airstream was half that. Also, towing a trailer is very different than towing the 5er. Again, no comparison. I towed a 21' Sunline Solaris from Maine to Alaska and back. A trip that was 14,281 miles and took 2 months and ten days. I pulled it with a Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner which had a 6cyl at 245HP. No problems on that trip except for a right side trailer tire blow out.. New tire too.

Accompanied by Peanut
known as mouth with legs
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote