Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2020, 05:01 AM   #21
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

If there is any current flowing through the system removing the positive wire will produce a spark. Vapor from a battery is explosive and sparks not good.
Try it some time if you don't believe me. Turn on your parking lights and connect the positive wire and see the spark. Now do it the other way and do the ground. You will see no spark. This is DANGEROUS so please don't do this. Just take my word for it. I can't remember how many times I have read disconnect the negative battery cable before working on your car. It even says if you need to jump start a car hook the negative cable up last.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #22
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman30 View Post
Have a 2020 Passport 199 ml is there a battery disconnect switch somewhere on the unit? (Cant locate one)Or do I just need to install one (If so any recommendations) or Just disconnect the battery leads during storage?
have you looked inside the pass through storage area? my 2020 Outback has the disconnect on the front wall passenger side corner
Old 05-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
have you looked inside the pass through storage area? my 2020 Outback has the disconnect on the front wall passenger side corner
That factory disconnect you mentioned DOES NOT totally disconnect all drains, your batteries WILL be dead in just a few days if using the factory disconnect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
rodgebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That factory disconnect you mentioned DOES NOT totally disconnect all drains, your batteries WILL be dead in just a few days if using the factory disconnect.
yeah i realize, just wondered if the OP had looked in there
Old 05-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #25
LERD

Look in any marine supply for the Perko battery disconnect. I had one left over after I sold the boat and I installed it right after the battery, and before the first breaker bus. It kills everything with the twist of the switch. Mine actually has a 4 pole switch. OFF, battery 1, battery 2 or both. Works off of the positive. Put the battery cable from the trailer on the common stud. Then place a short new cable to either of the battery studs on the switch (1 or 2) then attach to the battery. Never come back to a dead battery again.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
hornet28

I installed this type in our Mountaineer. I've had one just like it on the hot rod for 25 yrs and never a problem. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Cutof...9A0CD8A3575B52
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:45 AM   #27
Marvin Law

Keystone Hideout 25RLWE Battery Shut Off

Hello fellow campers,
Does anyone have an image, or wiring diagram, of the battery shutoff on a Keystone Hideout 25RLWE or similar trailer (I would presume the wiring would be the same no matter what size of trailer it is on)?

I need to know how this is wired so I can add a battery monitor. The ground wire coming off of the battery goes into this batter shut off box. I need to feed all returns through the battery monitor then to the negative of the battery, otherwise I won't get a true reading of charge and discharge usage.

Thanks for anyone that can provide that.

Marvin Law.
Marvin Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #28
Marvin Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Law View Post
Hello fellow campers,
Does anyone have an image, or wiring diagram, of the battery shutoff on a Keystone Hideout 25RLWE or similar trailer (I would presume the wiring would be the same no matter what size of trailer it is on)?

I need to know how this is wired so I can add a battery monitor. The ground wire coming off of the battery goes into this batter shut off box. I need to feed all returns through the battery monitor then to the negative of the battery, otherwise I won't get a true reading of charge and discharge usage.

Thanks for anyone that can provide that.

Marvin Law.
Well, after somemore research I have answered my own question. Keystone calls it a 'Giggy Box'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Giggy Box.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	701.5 KB
ID:	41892  
Marvin Law is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery