Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #21
Hovercat

If the window is that easy to remove, remove it and replace with plywood for bending back to shape.
Hovercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #22
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Might be worth buying one on eBay if you can find the size you need. I don’t know what state you live in but you could plan a trip to save on shipping. I wonder if the rv manufacturers have scratch and dent doors, appliances etc in Goshen Indiana. They have to be doing something with damaged parts that they can’t use.
Holy Smoke, the shipping is more than the cost of the door..lol....
If I couldn't fix it, I'd be looking for a surplus trailer business close by and go and get a door... I'm lucky here as I have a Salvage yard close (20 miles)that carry's a myriad of TT doors and such most are new or at least look new...Actually have a ton of miscellaneous items other than TT stuff.....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Holy Smoke, the shipping is more than the cost of the door..lol....
If I couldn't fix it, I'd be looking for a surplus trailer business close by and go and get a door... I'm lucky here as I have a Salvage yard close (20 miles)that carry's a myriad of TT doors and such most are new or at least look new...Actually have a ton of miscellaneous items other than TT stuff.....
Yeah that’s a lot for shipping. It was the first listing that pulled up. I was thinking op could search ebay and see if any were in driving distance from his hometown. Although at that point a new door may make more sense .
Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #24
Miloski

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsulli View Post
And now we need a new door. Thankfully the locks held, but the door is bent at the top and bottom. I'm going to check with an RV dealer, but I also wanted to get some input on what it's going to take to fix this, just a new door, or is the entire door unit one piece? Curious if this is something I might be able to do, or if my best bet is having an RV service shop take care of it. 2017 Keystone Springdale.
Sorry see and here this happened to you.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 AM   #25
Danimal713

My advice- (have to be wary of giving advice. Socrates gave free advice and they poisoned him! EEK!)
Check what a replacement door will cost- having a TT salvage yard near is a big plus. Take old door with you so you can match size and fit. Based on cost you can decide to replace or mess with trying to bend it first. If bending fails, then replace. If cheap enough to justify, get a replacement. The bent one will always show some remainder of the damage even if you get a good fit. It will remind you you want to find the idiot and do some damage!
To try to bend back, it will most likely need to be bent passed straight to allow for spring-back. Playing with how much to over bend so it ends straight is the trick. A metal straight edge is a good guide to check when you have it right. Personally, I would make a jig (frame) out of materials and use a small hydraulic jack to bend it back. I would put the bend down and use jack to push it up into straight. This would require good frame on the ends to hold the door in place so movement goes to bend and not to the ends. Use a shorter 2X4 on top of the jack to spread the pressure across the bend.
Hopefully it wil be cheaper to just replace the door with one that has same fit, but this is another option. I would lean toward a new door myself, but al comes down to $$$.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote