Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2020, 05:16 AM   #41
Ribtip

I will work on it in my free time. Its all simple weighing of your truck. The only real variable involved is weighing your truck loaded for camping and knowing whats left and people buying a camper then then figuring out that they are screwed on weight. Maybe it needs to be a before you buy a camper or truck read this sticky. More of a informational look before you leap type thing.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #42
Frank G

There is a consistent drum beet on this forum that the OEM's continuedly mislead it's customers with false or misleading towing information. I find this not to be the case. If you have never read the owners manual for your vehicle and the additional information contained in the manufactures published Trailer Towing Guide do so.

I will pick on Ford. Below is a link to the 2020 Ford RV and Trailer towing guide.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...owingGuide.pdf

There are 43 pages in this document and contained within are two important statements, payload varies with options and accessories and do not exceed any weight limit or frontal area consideration. Actually there is one more, the third one being the brakes on any Ford vehicle are only designed to stop the GVW of the vehicle not the CGVW. (Tow vehicle and trailer)

Since we are going through the process of purchasing a new TT and Tow Vehicle I have to say that at every interaction with a sales person the conversation starts out with, what are you towing, or towing with. The conversation always revolved around staying within the limits.

I am sure all of the OEM's have similar documentation.

It is your personal responsibility to get it right. If you ever get caught up in a Legal Situation you will be standing alone.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #43
German Shepherd Guy

So I watched the video through 4 times trying to figure out why so many were upset. I never heard the man say to ignore the weight stickers, in fact just the opposite.

Points he made.
Body: Same
Interior: Same
Frame: Same
Front end: Same Dana 60
Rear end: Same options available in 2020.

Engine options: Same
Transmission Options: Same with slightly less flexibility in the 350.
(Points out that he chose the 250 because he liked the older transmission as "tried and tested")
Springs 4 pack in the 350, 3 pack in the 250.
Coils: Slightly bigger in the 350.
He finishes by saying for some the 350 would make the best option because of the higher tow rating. AND if you wanted a dually.

For his project he planned on replacing the coils up front and the springs in the rear (never heard him say what his project was going to be) and I assume from his comments (I know it's an assumption. But listen close to what he says and I think its a better than even bet) he would have done the same even if it had been the 350 so as he said "for his purpose" the 250 and the 1000 less made the choice.

I found the video informative and did not see all the misinformation or ignoring of the weights that some saw, apparently because of his haircut and the fact he was wearing flip flops. By gosh when your young and have hair wear it anyway you damn well want, that's the advantage of being an American.

Just sayin, that if some only listened to the video and what he was saying instead of watching would the criticisms still be the same?

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Get the 350 and be done with it.
Or better yet, either of the 3500 brands!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #45
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
There is a consistent drum beet on this forum that the OEM's continuedly mislead it's customers with false or misleading towing information. I find this not to be the case. If you have never read the owners manual for your vehicle and the additional information contained in the manufactures published Trailer Towing Guide do so.

I will pick on Ford. Below is a link to the 2020 Ford RV and Trailer towing guide.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...owingGuide.pdf

There are 43 pages in this document and contained within are two important statements, payload varies with options and accessories and do not exceed any weight limit or frontal area consideration. Actually there is one more, the third one being the brakes on any Ford vehicle are only designed to stop the GVW of the vehicle not the CGVW. (Tow vehicle and trailer)

Since we are going through the process of purchasing a new TT and Tow Vehicle I have to say that at every interaction with a sales person the conversation starts out with, what are you towing, or towing with. The conversation always revolved around staying within the limits.

I am sure all of the OEM's have similar documentation.

It is your personal responsibility to get it right. If you ever get caught up in a Legal Situation you will be standing alone.
Well you are correct, BUT still many look at the MAX TOWING and forget everything else.
Then there is those that buy the Bling, and don’t realize how much that reduces payload.
Then there those that don’t realize how much weight they add to the TV before they hook up to the trailer. In my case I knew I carried a lot but was a bit surprised that it came to 1,400#.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #46
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

So I watched the video through 4 times trying to figure out why so many were upset. I never heard the man say to ignore the weight stickers, in fact just the opposite.

Points he made.
Body: Same
Interior: Same
Frame: Same
Front end: Same Dana 60
Rear end: Same options available in 2020.

Engine options: Same
Transmission Options: Same with slightly less flexibility in the 350.
(Points out that he chose the 250 because he liked the older transmission as "tried and tested")
Springs 4 pack in the 350, 3 pack in the 250.
Coils: Slightly bigger in the 350.
He finishes by saying for some the 350 would make the best option because of the higher tow rating. AND if you wanted a dually.

For his project he planned on replacing the coils up front and the springs in the rear (never heard him say what his project was going to be) and I assume from his comments (I know it's an assumption. But listen close to what he says and I think its a better than even bet) he would have done the same even if it had been the 350 so as he said "for his purpose" the 250 and the 1000 less made the choice.

I found the video informative and did not see all the misinformation or ignoring of the weights that some saw, apparently because of his haircut and the fact he was wearing flip flops. By gosh when your young and have hair wear it anyway you damn well want, that's the advantage of being an American.

Just sayin, that if some only listened to the video and what he was saying instead of watching would the criticisms still be the same?
German very well said. I think working together with everyone's input we could come up with a good sticky. Dosen't have to happen over night. Lets all sit back think about it and come up with something together.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #47
jasin1

Reading this today threw me for a loop. Why do you think the state of MD has this form?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11F0774B-9A15-4C3A-AE13-17A8BB077336.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	31161  
Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #48
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Reading this today through me for a loop. Why do you think the state of MD has this form?
Forget this one I had a long day and it’s like throwing gas on a fire. I apologize