Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
FoMoCo has went to great lengths on how to interoperate the information contained in the "Trailer Towing Guide" and "Owners Manual" and vehicle information as posted on the "B" pillar stickers. This is the only source of information I trust. For all of you who consider the published GVW as gospel then you need to consider all other published numbers as gospel also. You can't pick and choose. FoMoCo also states that all numbers may not be achievable at the same time.

Let me change the conversation, stop with the number game for a moment. There is a large population of us out there that want to travel from point A to Point B as safely as possible. This means no restaurants, no public rest rooms, no motels and minimal interaction with others. In order to accomplish this we must tow the facilities with us, some of us are looking for smaller units. There are also the physical limitations of climbing into a full size P/U or similar vehicle. The Ford Explorer changed everything in 2020 when they went to rear wheel drive. For those that base towing experience on previous models you need rethink your position. I am a gambler, I am willing to accept failure, If I can't find something with a comfortable tow experience, we'll move on. Whatever we do it will be within the numbers. and that is my responsibility.

Frank I wish you well. I have not driven a 2020 with RWD only but based on your comments I will shortly. RWD/FWD/AWD really makes no difference towing though when the wheelbase and suspension are the weak points. I will say the FWD Explorer was just a nightmare, the AWD Sport was more fun/stable but not a TV.

I am not a gambler and not willing to accept catastrophic failure that can forever impact the future of my family or others. As far as Ford brochures, I've read hundreds. The one thing the do is try to emphasize the ABILITY of a Ford xyz, not its weak points. Keep in mind that the "numbers" on the door are specific for THAT vehicle, brochure numbers are generic. As far as the brochure stating that "all numbers may not be achievable at the same time" - as most brochure statements, that is misleading as well. It means that when you hit the lowest, weakest numbers the others don't matter because that is the limiter - not hit the highest number one wants to and then missed the others because the rig went over them.

As you said, it's all on you and I wish you the best. Just don't be like the guy I saw this afternoon trying to pull a large 5th wheel onto the highway with an old 1/2 ton. Suspension totally squashed and looked like the bumper was going to hit the ground. Watched him for the 1/2 mile I approached "trying" to get on the highway from a side road apparently either hanging the rear or something - could not get onto the highway before I went by.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #42
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Frank I wish you well. I have not driven a 2020 with RWD only but based on your comments I will shortly. RWD/FWD/AWD really makes no difference towing though when the wheelbase and suspension are the weak points. I will say the FWD Explorer was just a nightmare, the AWD Sport was more fun/stable but not a TV.

I am not a gambler and not willing to accept catastrophic failure that can forever impact the future of my family or others. As far as Ford brochures, I've read hundreds. The one thing the do is try to emphasize the ABILITY of a Ford xyz, not its weak points. Keep in mind that the "numbers" on the door are specific for THAT vehicle, brochure numbers are generic. As far as the brochure stating that "all numbers may not be achievable at the same time" - as most brochure statements, that is misleading as well. It means that when you hit the lowest, weakest numbers the others don't matter because that is the limiter - not hit the highest number one wants to and then missed the others because the rig went over them.

As you said, it's all on you and I wish you the best. Just don't be like the guy I saw this afternoon trying to pull a large 5th wheel onto the highway with an old 1/2 ton. Suspension totally squashed and looked like the bumper was going to hit the ground. Watched him for the 1/2 mile I approached "trying" to get on the highway from a side road apparently either hanging the rear or something - could not get onto the highway before I went by.
What in the H*** are you talking about!!! How many times do I have to say all numbers are in the SAFE zone. Do you not read? Do you not understand? Who said generic brochures? The number in the 2020 Ford Trailer towing guide are not generic, Have you read through it? Are you a automotive Engineer? Why do you assume I would put myself or others in danger by not following the towing guidelines provided by the manufacture of the vehicle I selected.

This forum is not about discussion, it is all about being belittled by the chosen few.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
What in the H*** are you talking about!!! How many times do I have to say all numbers are in the SAFE zone. Do you not read? Do you not understand? Who said generic brochures? The number in the 2020 Ford Trailer towing guide are not generic, Have you read through it? Are you a automotive Engineer? Why do you assume I would put myself or others in danger by not following the towing guidelines provided by the manufacture of the vehicle I selected.

This forum is not about discussion, it is all about being belittled by the chosen few.

I'm sorry if you are offended. I do read, I do understand very well and I am not trying to belittle you - my post was actually part of a discussion and your choice is your choice. Maybe you didn't like my part of the discussion? Chosen few? Guess I only fall into that because DW picked me and hope I am in that group when I pass on.

Whether a brochure or "towing guide" the only numbers specific to a person's exact vehicle are on the door. Good luck on your choice....and I will be at the Ford dealer shortly to check out the new, much improved Explorer since I'm always in the market for a good vehicle. Good luck to you.....
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #44
aricker243

Quote:

I say go for it... tow within all the weight ratings and you be fine. BTW, you'll Never EVER EVER be validated here on this forum unless you have a 1 ton DRW.... Even if you tow inside the limits of the vehicle, you be be-rated and until you are driven off, or banned.

I'll probably be banned myself for even saying that.... but who gives a ****?
aricker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
I say go for it... tow within all the weight ratings and you be fine. BTW, you'll Never EVER EVER be validated here on this forum unless you have a 1 ton DRW.... Even if you tow inside the limits of the vehicle, you be be-rated and until you are driven off, or banned.

I'll probably be banned myself for even saying that.... but who gives a ****?

The first things that need to be done for towing anything are having a TV appropriate for the specified RV. SUVs are NOT the best TVs around and have historically been dangerous given the right circumstances.

As in any situation, when presented with incomplete facts "I'm in the safe zone" without any corroborating info, with what has always been a questionable TV, questions will arise. Towing brochures and towing guides are just that, vague guides. There are specific numbers on the vehicle and RV along with scales. Without any of that info cautious folks try to assure anyone attempting a questionable situation have all the info and understand it - not validate their position/decision. For some it's appreciated, for some it's an irritant and they are unhappy.

No one needs a 1 ton dually for everything...but they certainly are required for a given situation. As I've always said, and it's fact, the numbers determine the TV/RV relationship....and they all must be met or then you are "gambling". Anyone with a TV that appears to meet all established weight criteria (not "I'm good") for the prospective RV will receive comments, as they should, but the object is to make sure the poster at least gets all sides of the equation - many don't want that.

Now, your comments about the forum are just wrong from the gitgo as most know that are actually concerned about numbers. BTW, what is your TV/RV combo? I could not find that you posted that anywhere in your profile?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #46
GaryUT

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience towing a 7ft wide 4000lb GVW TT with the 2020 or 21 Explorer with the 2.3L I-4?
Not with a Ford Explorer.

But, I have had similar experience using a midsize SUV to tow a 19' long hybrid trailer. We used a Chevrolet Trailblazer as a tow vehicle for 4 years. It has the inline 6 rated at 275 HP and 275 pounds of torque. Short wheelbase model. Tow rating of 5000 pounds. The trailer was 4300 pounds ready to camp. I had the transmission serviced every year when we were towing with it. I had the highest load rated tires that would fit the stock rims, LT tires were not available in the size needed. I also upgraded the shocks to HD Bilsteins. Fuel mileage sucked, 6-8 MPG, and with the small tank fuel stops came every 100 miles.

From your posts you are good on the numbers, but I cant stress enough the need for a GOOD sway control hitch, an Equalizer, Reese dual cam or the equivalent.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailblazer.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	30998  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #47
Ken / Claudia

I had a 1998 Explorer for 16 years with the 5.0 V-8. It sucked towing my 4,000 boat vs a pickup. Towing that fishing I learned there were real hills on the way to the lake. Instead of 55-65 mph up them when towing it with the pickup, I was blocking traffic at 35 mph.
Also had a 2002 Trailblazer for 5 years that inline 6 was good, not sure about the tranny. Both were replaced while I owned it. It had 1,000 lb payload. Towing any RV would put it close or over payload rating. I had Bilstein's and LT tires while I owned it and they helped. Towing the boat and not using OD was okay but still very sluggish starts. It just plain sucked when compared to a pickup. The shorter wheelbase means your using the steering more to keep it straight. The boats windshield buffeted the wind at highway speeds on the flats. I could feel it in the TVs as they were push side to side in the rear, just a little but I felt it. I am sure the wind does the same with the truck towing it ,but it is not felt. The boat has brakes and still pushed both vehicles when stopping. That does not happen with the truck. I think the TB could go 45 up that same hill to the lake. I now have a H3 hummer with the inline 5. It says I can tow the boat by towing weights it lists. I am not even going to try. I might move the boat around the yard with it, not taking it on the highway.
Yeah they could tow but compare the tow with a full size pickup and a engine made to tow. Now you see and feel what towing should be like. No extra mirrors needed, to see along side of towed vehicle. No rear end wiggle, easier to back up, no sluggish starts, no blocking other traffic on hills. No getting pushed when making a stop.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #48
notanlines

Drew, in your two weeks and 5 posts on this forum you pretty much raised your colors with this post "https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45164"
Your lack of respect for members overall is rather off-putting, especially for a relative newbie to RV'ing. I see nothing you've posted that would even raise the hackles of the moderators, much less get you 'banned."
Why not settle down a little, and learn enough where one day you may be able to give newbies some sage advice?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #49
RGene7001

2.3 Explorer.
According to the Ford site it can pull 5,300 lb
I assume this is with the tow package and all appropriate cooling, hitch receiver etc. Not to mention WD and brake control.
That should answer the question.

I pulled bigger and heavier TT with less power and torque and a 7 speed.

Was going everywhere
60 mph uphill, nothing exploded or even overheated
Never had problems, except blown tires, cut "umbilical cord" and broken hitch hardware.
For 8 years
144,000 miles on the clock
But enough is enough.
I will make one more trip this month and then I will start a new chapter and become a good boy.
I put an order for 2021 Dodge Durango RT with Tow N Go.
8700 lb of TC but it still will fit in the garage.
Will keep you posted.😁

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #50
notanlines

Gene, have you looked into this Durango choice with due diligence? Motor Trend gave it 6 out of 10 stars and said "The 2021 Durango is the Dodge for the driver who has grown out of burnouts and muscle cars into kindergarten drop-off duty and home-improvement store ..."
I don't see where a station wagon is going to improve your situation appreciatively. The specs I read listed the towing capacity generally in the 7200 pound range. Are you absolutely sure that a Ram 1500 might not fill your bill more comfortably?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 12-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #51
RGene7001

I absolutely did.
Durango is built on the same Mercedes platform, it has nothing common with minivan, except rear climate controls.
Town N Go package brings stiffer suspension with self leveling, better brakes, tires from the SRT and many other things to optimize this model for recreational towing. It is rated for pulling 8700 lb and it can be towed behind motor home just in case someone needs one.
I like RAM trucks much more than other brands but living with it while not towing is more complicated in our circumstances.
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

Jim, sounds like he's got "all the answers".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #53
notanlines

I mainly wanted make sure you did your homework and it sounds like you did.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #54
ehidle

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience towing a 7ft wide 4000lb GVW TT with the 2020 or 21 Explorer with the 2.3L I-4?
I have towed trailers about that size with vehicles about that size. If you are in the numbers, the ones that matter, and all of the ones that matter, it will probably work. How well will it work? Who knows, maybe not super well, but as long as you take it all into consideration and drive accordingly, I think you're probably going to be fine.

Here are the things that I learned when towing a 4000lb cargo trailer with my 2003 Pathfinder:

1) Absolutely do use a WDH. A good rule of thumb is to use one whenever your towed vehicle exceeds 50% of the weight of the towing vehicle. You probably already know this or have heard it before, but I am mentioning it for public benefit.

2) Don't forget to check your individual axle weight ratings. You can be within payload and still bust your GAWRR. Your explorer may have 1200 payload but it is not expecting it all to be on its hind quarters. You will probably have to visit a cat scale to figure this one out

3) Do compute the angle shift in the car body that results from the trailer. If you have a lot of squat even with the WDH, you may (or may not) run into stability issues resulting from the loss of caster angle on the front wheels. If your trailer causes more than 2 degrees of incline in your body, then I would either go out of my way to drive slower than normal, or have second thoughts about the towing setup altogether.

You may have to turn a few knobs in your setup to get something that is stable and confident. Do be sure to take the time to do that, as you may (or may not) find yourself with really thin margins on GAWRR or stability.
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #55
Snoking

Might be right vehicle, however wrong engine. That same engine in the Edge is rated so so. Our 2020 Edge ST has the twin turbo 2.7L V-6 with 335 HP and 380 lb ft of torque and is rated to tow only 3500 lbs.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:03 AM   #56
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
2.3 Explorer.
According to the Ford site it can pull 5,300 lb
I assume this is with the tow package and all appropriate cooling, hitch receiver etc. Not to mention WD and brake control.
That should answer the question.
😁
Thanks for the response, Yes, has the tow package, adding the brake control. At 15% tong weight I run out of payload with a 4000K+ TT. The 2020 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide does not have a requirement for the use of a weight distributing hitch on the Explorer. I will use one, either a Hensley Cub at 160lbs or a Equalizer 4point at 100lbs. There is also the 55sq ft. frontal area limit to consider. The Forest River R-Pod is leading the choice with a 6.5 ft wide unit and a GVWR of 3832 lbs.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #57
Ken / Claudia

It's good news your looking at payload ratings. That is just as important as what most vehicles can tow.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford