Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
FoMoCo has went to great lengths on how to interoperate the information contained in the "Trailer Towing Guide" and "Owners Manual" and vehicle information as posted on the "B" pillar stickers. This is the only source of information I trust. For all of you who consider the published GVW as gospel then you need to consider all other published numbers as gospel also. You can't pick and choose. FoMoCo also states that all numbers may not be achievable at the same time.

Let me change the conversation, stop with the number game for a moment. There is a large population of us out there that want to travel from point A to Point B as safely as possible. This means no restaurants, no public rest rooms, no motels and minimal interaction with others. In order to accomplish this we must tow the facilities with us, some of us are looking for smaller units. There are also the physical limitations of climbing into a full size P/U or similar vehicle. The Ford Explorer changed everything in 2020 when they went to rear wheel drive. For those that base towing experience on previous models you need rethink your position. I am a gambler, I am willing to accept failure, If I can't find something with a comfortable tow experience, we'll move on. Whatever we do it will be within the numbers. and that is my responsibility.

Frank I wish you well. I have not driven a 2020 with RWD only but based on your comments I will shortly. RWD/FWD/AWD really makes no difference towing though when the wheelbase and suspension are the weak points. I will say the FWD Explorer was just a nightmare, the AWD Sport was more fun/stable but not a TV.

I am not a gambler and not willing to accept catastrophic failure that can forever impact the future of my family or others. As far as Ford brochures, I've read hundreds. The one thing the do is try to emphasize the ABILITY of a Ford xyz, not its weak points. Keep in mind that the "numbers" on the door are specific for THAT vehicle, brochure numbers are generic. As far as the brochure stating that "all numbers may not be achievable at the same time" - as most brochure statements, that is misleading as well. It means that when you hit the lowest, weakest numbers the others don't matter because that is the limiter - not hit the highest number one wants to and then missed the others because the rig went over them.

As you said, it's all on you and I wish you the best. Just don't be like the guy I saw this afternoon trying to pull a large 5th wheel onto the highway with an old 1/2 ton. Suspension totally squashed and looked like the bumper was going to hit the ground. Watched him for the 1/2 mile I approached "trying" to get on the highway from a side road apparently either hanging the rear or something - could not get onto the highway before I went by.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford