Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
Wattyd

Fan tastic fan install

Looking to install a fantastic fan in the bedroom of my 2016 326Rl! Does anyone know if there will be power wires close by? Thanks in advance!!
Wattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
chunker

I don't know the specifics of your trailer but often the bedroom vent is prewired for an air conditioner. In some cases it also may be compatible with the ducting so you can get the air to all sections of the trailer. But if it is prewired it will be 120vac. The fans are 12vdc. 120vac will burn up the fan. As far as power supply, are there any lights close to the fan? You might be able to tap into one for a power supply.

To know for sure about possible power availability, remove the inner shroud and look for wires. 120vac will likely be 14ga. If it's prewired for the air conditioner the wires should be right there to one side visible. If you can see up into the "attic" it's likely not reinforced for an air conditioner and you might be able to see a nearby lighting wire. With luck it might be hot not switched.

EDIT Adding; I looked and found an Outback 326RL, presume that's what you have, and it had 2 air conditioners pictured so that leads me to believe it's prewired for the air conditioner. No ceiling pictures of it so you'll have to look for the 12vdc wiring.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
Wattyd

My unit is pre-wired for the 2nd AC unit and the 120 power is in a junction box! I was curious if any members had done this yet.? I've got experience in fishing wires in a house but a trailer might be a different challenge.
I do appreciate your reply! Its what I enjoy about forums..
Old 11-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
chunker

Suggestion use the bathroom vent as I assume it's close by. It will be wired for 12vdc. Also get the 10 speed fan since running on about 6 is relatively quiet compared to 10 (top speed). Moves a lot of air. I put 2 in the GF's Crusader 5th wheel, one in bathroom, unfortunately used the 3 spd, and the other in the living room/kitchen area, 10 spd, which had no wiring, but I could fish one from a slide switch to operate the fan. In the Deep South we wanted/needed the air conditioner in the BR. The advantage of putting the fantastic fan in the bath is it will take the stink and moisture out much better than the factory installed "pretend-a-fan".
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Have you considered a Max Air fan? Vent lid is shaped so no vent cover needed and it will operate in the rain. I have two 10 speed reversible fans. On nice evenings one pulls air in and the other pushes stale air out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Wattyd

I've looked at the MaxAir. How do you like them? I like the option of them coming with the hood.no need for rain sensor! Are yours with the remote?

Thanks great input
Old 11-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Wattyd

I was pondering the option of replacing bathroom fan! Easy install! I'm located in Kamloops British Columbia and our summers are dry and hot but at out lake 2 AC units aren't required. And thanks for suggesting 10 speed dint know there was an option. I do want the remote version with rain sensor. Also looking at the MAX AIR
thanks Again
Old 11-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
KRumm

I installed a fan in the bedroom... There is a little cover over the AC prewire access and in there you should find a white & green wire - That is 12v with the green side the hot 12v and the white negative... I just spiced into that... You will need to drill a hole thru the plywwod vent frame to get the wires to the fan...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
Wattyd

Thats a huge help, thanks! I'll definately be looking for those wires.. what trailer do you have? And which fan did you install?
Thanks for the feedback