Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #1
Momwifecop

Hello from NJ

Hi everyone! Just put a deposit on a Passport 282QB. Won't come in until December, just in time for retirement! Looking forward to this journey with my new Keystone TT! I'm a first time camper and will be towing it with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost.
Momwifecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
Outbackman57

Hi MWC, welcome from Daytona Beach. Spent many a Summer in Ocean City, and riding my bike thru the Pine Barrens. Best corn and veggies anywhere. Grew up in PA with the Jersey Shore an hour away via 195. Great memories. Have fun and ask away. These people here are awesome and very knowledgeable. Safe travels!

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momwifecop View Post
Hi everyone! Just put a deposit on a Passport 282QB. Won't come in until December, just in time for retirement! Looking forward to this journey with my new Keystone TT! I'm a first time camper and will be towing it with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost.
Before December retirement you may want to crunch some numbers on the F150.
That 33' long rv has a GVWR of 7700 lbs = right at 1000lb tongue weight (average 13% of the rv GVWR posted on the manufacturers tag on the drivers side front corner) + 100lb +/- for the mandatory WDH + the weight of everyone/everything in/on that truck, subtract all that from the payload listed on the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb stating "occupants and cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs.
Or load up the truck with everything/everyone as if going out on trip with the new rv & head to the scales, weigh the truck & subtract that weight from the trucks GVWR also posted on the door jamb, the difference is the max weight you can load onto your truck which includes that tongue weight & weight of the hitch.
I know that truck is rated to "tow/haul/pull" a gazillion pounds as advertised, which means nothing in the rv world, but it's limited as to what it can "carry" by those weights posted on the door jamb.
Not trying spoil your enthusiasm, just make sure you, yours & the rest of us on the highways with you are safe.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #4
Momwifecop

Thank you for that insight. Going to look right now!
Old 09-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
Momwifecop

I'm so confused! I have no idea what I'm looking at. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/wEsTCRbs6xqi

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/mDzcEblJbgbs
Old 09-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #6
Momwifecop

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zpyRzst7vRHeQNyq7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qmKgLRqouB3kFF168

I'm not sure if the first link I sent worked!
Old 09-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
travelin texans

From the yellow/white tag you have 1714lbs of payload. Your payload is the tongue weight of 1000lbs +/- (average 13% of the rv GVWR) + 100lbs +/- for the WDH + the weight of all people, pets & anything else in your truck that didn't come with it from the factory, including the change in the ashtray & the flashlight in the glove box, all subtracted from that 1714lbs.
Or as I said you can load your truck as you would to tow that rv, firewood, lawn chairs, bicycles, the DW, Fido, etc. & weigh it then subtract that weight from the truck GVWR on the white tag, the difference is your actual available payload then subtract the tongue weight & weight of the hitch mentioned above from that actual payload.
Rv salespersons are notorious for quoting truck max tow ratings, a truck sales gimmick.
Also rv dry weights, absolutely useless to you once that rv has arrived at the dealer where they added batteries, propane & any other dealer options. You will NEVER tow any rv near that dry weight unless you're the delivery driver & your truck WILL NOT tow any rv near that max tow rating as it will exceed the payload or axle weight ratings before that.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Momwifecop

Thank you. I'm getting a better understanding after reading your replies!
Old 09-19-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
Canonman

Welcome from Utah!! And, Thank You for your service.
As my signature shows, my retirement training is complete. You are in for a lot of fun making memories and enjoying life with your new RV.
I know it might be hard to hear the unvarnished truth the members are offering, but RV dealers can be misleading at best when it comes to telling you what you need to hear opposed to what you want to hear.
In a nutshell, there are some added expenses you'll need to plan for. 1st, you will need a good quality, weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars. Equalizer is one of the more popular brands.
2nd, you need to upgrade your truck tires (assuming you don't decide to just upgrade your truck) to LT type with at least a "D" 8 ply load rating. That's not going to change your 1700 lb payload rating but it will give you better tires for safer towing.
Lastly, you don't mention if your F150 is equipped with any kind of "Towing Package" from the factory. Something to think about if it wasn't. As a simple minded neanderthal I'm all about a new truck but the tow packages on the 150 with the Ecoboost are almost a must have.
Good on ya' for thinking about all this before actually hitting the road. Hope all works out for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	41666  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
markdol1

First time owner ,Youre gonna make his head sizzle !
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #11
markdol1

While you are at it , I have a 2010 ram 3500 hd factory tow package do you know if the truck receiver is class 4 or 5 ? the reese wd setup shows 1210 lb tongue limit , i just bought a 33rli cougar tt 8600 lb empty and just over 10,000 gvw should i move to a 1700 lb. wdh to be safe?
Old 09-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
While you are at it , I have a 2010 ram 3500 hd factory tow package do you know if the truck receiver is class 4 or 5 ? the reese wd setup shows 1210 lb tongue limit , i just bought a 33rli cougar tt 8600 lb empty and just over 10,000 gvw should i move to a 1700 lb. wdh to be safe?
Mark, you have hijacked another's thread with a different set of questions. Best to start your own thread in the appropriate forum area.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #13
markdol1

If you think its a hijack ok it wasnt meant to be. folks talking weights and what is safe i thought was related.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #14
Canonman

Hi Mark,
Looking at the Fed stickers I'd say the OP's 150 is a pretty standard model. Not trying to give anybody brain damage, but I think that 150 is going to need some work. JMHO
We had a 150 with the 5.4 V8 and towed a 7500 lb Wildwood TT. We did have the tow package. Larger radiator, 373 gears etc... I did upgrade the tires to 10 ply LRE and bought a WDH with the sway control. It would pull the Wildwood fine, but any hills were a 3rd gear 4k rpm grind.
As to your question re your hitch, unless your build sheet says different, it's probably a class IV receiver rated at 1200#
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:37 AM   #15
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #16
markdol1

Thank you sir .I think i will be safer with the class 5 hich and WD setup.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #17
Camping family

Welcome n enjoy
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote