Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
hlh1

RV Park Power Issues

I'm currently at an RV park that has poor power. I have a 30 amp hookup. My EMS shows 118 VAC until I load it with with 15 amps and then it shows 108 VAC. If I load any more amps the EMS drops the power connection. I mentioned this to the park admin and they say I need to turn off items in my RV. They don't get it, they need to supply 30 amps and 120 VAC. My neighbor at the RV park is now running her generator so that she can run her air conditioner. I've had this problem before at this park and they need to get the power company out here to investigate, but it will probably cost them. Others here are having power issues but they have dumb surge protectors and can't see what's going on and think they're running too much load. I'm paying for "full hookups" and would like for all of them to work.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
I'm currently at an RV park that has poor power. I have a 30 amp hookup. My EMS shows 118 VAC until I load it with with 15 amps and then it shows 108 VAC. If I load any more amps the EMS drops the power connection. I mentioned this to the park admin and they say I need to turn off items in my RV. They don't get it, they need to supply 30 amps and 120 VAC. My neighbor at the RV park is now running her generator so that she can run her air conditioner. I've had this problem before at this park and they need to get the power company out here to investigate, but it will probably cost them. Others here are having power issues but they have dumb surge protectors and can't see what's going on and think they're running too much load. I'm paying for "full hookups" and would like for all of them to work.
There must be a reason that you stay, maybe they're a lot cheaper than the place down the road with 50amp services.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Your park is the cause of the problem I'm relatively sure. They have told you they don't care and you need to deal with it basically, now it's on you to live with it or get another park. Lots of those places out there; I'd would have been gone first go round.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #4
Canonman

Too many people running hi amp appliances at the same time. It's hot, everybody wants to run the A/C. The park likely does not have sufficient service from the utility company to supply all the camp spaces with full power. Entire cities out west are experiencing the same problem with the current heat wave. I'm nosey, I'd wander around and see just what kind of service is coming in from the street to the park.
Right after I cranked up the generator and got the air working
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
Gegrad

That's a terrible experience, I would definitely be looking for another park as soon as I could.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Too many people running hi amp appliances at the same time. It's hot, everybody wants to run the A/C. The park likely does not have sufficient service from the utility company to supply all the camp spaces with full power. Entire cities out west are experiencing the same problem with the current heat wave. I'm nosey, I'd wander around and see just what kind of service is coming in from the street to the park.
Right after I cranked up the generator and got the air working

I was thinking this was the case but after Labor Day the crowds left and the problem persists. We would go somewhere else but the place is really nice otherwise. We really like the location.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
hlh1

Maybe I should just request a 50 amp service for my 30 amp travel trailer. Maybe that would solve the problem.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlh1 View Post
Maybe I should just request a 50 amp service for my 30 amp travel trailer. Maybe that would solve the problem.
Not sure where you are camping but check campgroundreviews.com and MOVE to another park. That kind of treatment wouldn't earn my continued stay or business. Write up a review for campgroundreviews.com so others don't fall into the same situation.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Your EMS is shutting you down to low voltage on the one leg of AC. Going to a 50A gives you 2 legs of AC but if they are below the cutoff threshold of the EMS, which they probably will be, you gained nothing other than moving. The issue should be pressed with the park or move IMO. If you didn't have an EMS, as I'm some of the poor souls don't, they will be slowly killing their appliances as they endure this.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Your EMS is shutting you down to low voltage on the one leg of AC. Going to a 50A gives you 2 legs of AC but if they are below the cutoff threshold of the EMS, which they probably will be, you gained nothing other than moving. The issue should be pressed with the park or move IMO. If you didn't have an EMS, as I'm some of the poor souls don't, they will be slowly killing their appliances as they endure this.
The OP has a 30 amp rig, if he connects today 50 amp outlet, the 50 to 30 amp dog bone will only deliver power from one leg of the 50 amp. The advantage is that the wire to the pedestal should be at least 6 gauge instead of 10 gauge for 30 amp, so less voltage drop if only drawing 30 amps.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:15 AM   #11
hlh1

Your excellent responses are why I posted this. I knew the knowledgeable members of this board would give me good advice. Because of this forum I bought the EMS that's probably saving my AC/Fridge, etc. Right now I'm getting by with staying below 15 amps.

I'm new to RV'ing and I'm not sure what to expect, power wise, from these RV camps. I can see how it's possible to go over 30 amps with my TT if I have everything running. We were at a State Park two weeks ago that showed 127 VAC and I was running 35 amps with no issues.

I will try to talk with the camp admin again today and explain. Or I may just send them an email with details of what I'm seeing. We want to stay here in the future, even with the bad power, so I don't want them to black ball me. And yes, I do need to write up a review.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:26 AM   #12
HouseMouse

You are paying for a Full 30Amps. Would you pay full price for a new truck that has no engine or transmission? Walk away from this deal.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 AM   #13
dutchmensport

I don't understand how you can be running 35 amps on a 30 amp camper. Once you exceed 30 amps (even if the shore power supply can exceed this), the main breaker in your camper should trip. If it's not tripping, then you got another problem going on.

Now, if you are running a second extension cord from the same power pole (for example, your normal 30 amp RV power cord and then a 15/20 amp extension or utility cord) and running another appliance, then I can understand how you could exceed 30 amps from one shore power source.

Power management, regardless if 30 or 50 amp availability is always something you have to be aware of in any camper, otherwise breakers trip. BUT low voltage is not something that you should have to deal with.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:21 AM   #14
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I don't understand how you can be running 35 amps on a 30 amp camper. Once you exceed 30 amps (even if the shore power supply can exceed this), the main breaker in your camper should trip. If it's not tripping, then you got another problem going on.

Now, if you are running a second extension cord from the same power pole (for example, your normal 30 amp RV power cord and then a 15/20 amp extension or utility cord) and running another appliance, then I can understand how you could exceed 30 amps from one shore power source.

Power management, regardless if 30 or 50 amp availability is always something you have to be aware of in any camper, otherwise breakers trip. BUT low voltage is not something that you should have to deal with.

I was kind of surprised to see 35 amps on the EMS.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:38 AM   #15
dutchmensport

What kind of EMS do you have? Built in or portable, Progressive - Hughes AutoFoamer - SurgeGuard? Maybe there is something failing in the EMS causing false output readings?????
Old 09-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #16
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
What kind of EMS do you have? Built in or portable, Progressive - Hughes AutoFoamer - SurgeGuard? Maybe there is something failing in the EMS causing false output readings?????

I have the progressive ems. I guess I need to check it with a good voltmeter, amp meter.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:03 AM   #17
dutchmensport

Progressive should be good and reliable. It won't hurt to double check. This way you can eliminate every possible excuse with campground management, and the problem is truly 'on-them."
Old 09-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The OP has a 30 amp rig, if he connects today 50 amp outlet, the 50 to 30 amp dog bone will only deliver power from one leg of the 50 amp. The advantage is that the wire to the pedestal should be at least 6 gauge instead of 10 gauge for 30 amp, so less voltage drop if only drawing 30 amps.

You are correct. I re read post 1 which seemed to leave the amperage of the trailer in doubt, I failed to re read post 7 which stated it was a 30A trailer. Moving to a 50A service with 30A cables and a dogbone would do nothing for the OP.

As far as pulling 35A on a 30A circuit OP needs to look into that with an ammeter. If would seem there could be multiple problems; if the trailer is pulling 35A from inside the 30A breaker inside the trailer should trip. If it didn't the 30A breaker at the ped should trip. If neither is tripping ?? With the apparent poor power service I would suspect the ped breaker but why isn't the trailer tripping? Or is the readout faulty? I would lean toward a faulty reading I believe.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:38 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You are correct. I re read post 1 which seemed to leave the amperage of the trailer in doubt, I failed to re read post 7 which stated it was a 30A trailer. Moving to a 50A service with 30A cables and a dogbone would do nothing for the OP.

As far as pulling 35A on a 30A circuit OP needs to look into that with an ammeter. If would seem there could be multiple problems; if the trailer is pulling 35A from inside the 30A breaker inside the trailer should trip. If it didn't the 30A breaker at the ped should trip. If neither is tripping ?? With the apparent poor power service I would suspect the ped breaker but why isn't the trailer tripping? Or is the readout faulty? I would lean toward a faulty reading I believe.
Yes, his 30 amp cable is still the same, BUT the park feed to the 50 amp outlet is 6 gauge wire not the 10 gauge for the 30 amp, thus likely less voltage drop when drawing near 30 amps
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Reading thru this thread is a bit confusing. Experiencing a voltage drop during high amperage draws are common. It can be caused by insufficient feeds from the utility company, an overloaded transformer line (unbalanced loading) or a wiring issue anywhere in between the transformer and the trainer's power panel.

If you only have the issue at that park then it points to the issue as the park/utility problem. Either way it's the park responsibility and if they aren't willing to address it then I wouldn't patronize them. If I'm paying for a service then I expect that service to be fully available. I would feel ripped off if I paid full price at a car wash and they didn't was 1/2 of the car.JMO.

As to the accuracy of the EMS voltage reading that's easy to verify with a multimeter or a plug in voltage meter. I keep a voltage meter plugged into an outlet so I can glance at it anytime. It cost <$20. The Amp reading would require an amp clamp portable meter or a permanent mount ammeter to compare and verify. A 35 Amp constant load should trip the 30 Amp main breaker. If that 35 Amp load is a peak load, i.e. short duration like a motor starting, then it shouldn't trip.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power