Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
albon

Locked out of '10 Everest, deadbolt key won't open it?

Need to get into RV, Holiday week end no locksmiths available. what options are there other than breaking the door window and opening inside?
albon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have any large windows, sometimes you can press on the pane that moves and “jump” the lock.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #3
albon

Jump lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you have any large windows, sometimes you can press on the pane that moves and “jump” the lock.
Thanks for reply, however not sure just exactly how to do that as all the windows are tight and pushing on glass has always been a problem for me!! albon
Old 09-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I know, it needs to be a large window, seen a coworker push on the moving pane and pop the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
Berdan

If you have a laundry chute that goes into the pass through, send someone thin up through it with a #2 Robertson screwdriver in case they need to take the lock apart.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #6
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
If you have a laundry chute that goes into the pass through, send someone thin up through it with a #2 Robertson screwdriver in case they need to take the lock apart.
Great idea! I'll keep that "on file" in case I ever need it. Onetime we were locked inside and had to exit through the fire escape window.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Are you in an RV park? The desk may have a universal key or perhaps you could ask some of your neighbors? I have seen the RV door lock being picked and it is something I would try if all else fails.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albon View Post
Need to get into RV, Holiday week end no locksmiths available. what options are there other than breaking the door window and opening inside?
Is the key not turning in the lock or is it turning but not retracting the deadbolt. If you have the deadbolt key then I would spray it with PB Blater or the like. Sprat it in the lock and spray the key. Keep working it gently, try not to break the key. Keep spraying the key and work it in and out of the lock. Also try to gently push on the door and pull on the door while working the lock. Sometimes a light tap on the end of the key while it's in the lock can free up a stuck tumbler pin.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

RV door locks do not have pins.

Any “double sided” keyed lock has wafers and will “center” itself when the key is inserted.

Picking a wafer lock takes a bit more finesse, I was the “other locksmith” for over 7 years in my previous employment.

Using the key with a lubricant may be a great idea, but I would use a DRY lube so it doesn’t attract dirt and dust causing the same issue later on.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
gearhead

I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. Ultimately a RV Tech pushed and pulled on it while trying to turn the key and opened it. He wasn’t exactly forthcoming on what he did. “Trade Secret”
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:00 AM   #11
ChuckS

On my 2014:Alpine I can access the inside by removing the basement rear panel and going up thru the stairwell.. I’m 5’ 11” @ 195 lbs..

The Everest became the Alpine so you might wanna have a look see.. you would have to knock the stairs loose but they aren’t held in by much

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
wegone

Happened to us once while camping in the Bullet.

I noticed this issue with the door not closing and latching easily.
It was always on my list of fix it things that never got fixed....

I had the key, but I couldn't get it to turn, and I was at the point of breaking that cheap arse key.

I finally got it to open by pushing the trailer door frame in and pulling and lifting the door out and up.

The lock set was not installed at optimal match, and I know for certain if the trailer is not level in all respect, and too much pressure is exerted on a leveling jack to get it just right, it can tweak the trailer frame out of plumb, and that little key is NOT enough leverage or strong enough to clear that pre-loading condition on the dead bolt.

I got it open and then removed the metal strike plate, for at that point I could see it was 1/4 of an inch out of alignment.

I never put it back, never had the problem again, soon it won't be my problem anyway
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Eddie touched on something that I think we all realize, but take for granted. If the trailer is not level, almost always, there will be a door or a window that simply won't work. The "twists and bends" that being unlevel causes will bind something or cause a lock not to work properly and can cause the problems you're facing. The "solution" may be as simple as just raising the tongue jack or the landing gear an inch and "unbinding" the lock.

I think we've all had some issue with a sticking door or a window that won't open or won't close easily, but often "just never put the two together" to pass on that information to someone else who's having a similar problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #14
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Eddie touched on something that I think we all realize, but take for granted. If the trailer is not level, almost always, there will be a door or a window that simply won't work. The "twists and bends" that being unlevel causes will bind something or cause a lock not to work properly and can cause the problems you're facing. The "solution" may be as simple as just raising the tongue jack or the landing gear an inch and "unbinding" the lock.

I think we've all had some issue with a sticking door or a window that won't open or won't close easily, but often "just never put the two together" to pass on that information to someone else who's having a similar problem.
Absolutely buddy, my trailer was very susceptible to quirks re: leveling.

Funny thing is I just gave up on using a bubble because I could NEVER get all four querants to agree.....

Instead, I just asked my wife to climb inside and give me her reading
, as she IS the level-headed one of us

OH, and it may sound silly, but I had 3 separate keys to my trailer, to the door and hatches, outside kitchen, now I just have one, all locks the same....

Make sure if that be the case, you are using the RIGHT key, ya know what they say, they all look alike

Don't ask me how I know this.....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:04 PM   #15
sierraman68

I had a lock issue on my previous rig ( 2013 Cougar 21 RBS ). So, I was the guy that crawled in thru the laundry chute and then disassembled the lock from the inside. Tight fit, but I made it. The photos of me crawling in from the outside are pretty amusing.

Terry
Old 09-06-2022, 03:27 AM   #16
notanlines

When this happened to us ona Class A, we managed to squeeze a small woman through a side window that had been left open, but the dead bolt casting had broken and she had to take the whole lock apart from the inside. Only option was a complete new assembly.
Also had the same experience John mentioned with the Raptor being unlevel. Door almost wouldn't open until I pushed on it with a 'mighty shove' and pulled on the latch at the same time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #17
Camp CA

Locked out of '10 Everest, deadbolt key won't open it?.......A slight door misalignment will cause its deadbolt to get stuck and prevent the deadboltto retract Try lightly pushing on the door frame while unlocking the deadbolt to allow the bolt to retract.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #18
GilaElkHunter

We got locked out of our Montana HC Easter weekend, grandkids were playing running in and out the door and closing it on each other and it got locked, and closed with the keys inside. Luckily friends camping with us that have a Cougar tried their door key and it worked. Was not exactly the same key but close enough with a little wiggling it turned the lock. You might try it.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #19
albon

Smile Locked out of 2010 Everest,, Thank yous

Kind of in a hurry right now,, don't know exactly reply to everyone who sent me offers of help and encouragement to get back into our RV on Labor Day weekend '22. The unit was level. Took it to a Locksmith who would see me on Labor Day (bless his heart) only had to drive 50 miles. He said the dead bolt lock for some reason just wouldn't operate after removing it he said it was working fine. He took a key that wasn't totally cut to the lock and used a small hammer with tapping it till what ever was inside realigned. Then it opened. By the way I actually pulled the key out in the locked position (which you never want to do) that was part but note the start of the problem, it just made it more complicated to get in. He had a scope and took him about 45 minutes to figure it out get in and make 2 new keys. Charged $70, yes he got a tip! Will be getting a new lock as we never figured out what caused the 1st problem.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
If any one can tell me how to respond to all (or if I have) I'd appreciate it.

albon
Old 09-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albon View Post
Kind of in a hurry right now,, don't know exactly reply to everyone who sent me offers of help and encouragement to get back into our RV on Labor Day weekend '22. The unit was level. Took it to a Locksmith who would see me on Labor Day (bless his heart) only had to drive 50 miles. He said the dead bolt lock for some reason just wouldn't operate after removing it he said it was working fine. He took a key that wasn't totally cut to the lock and used a small hammer with tapping it till what ever was inside realigned. Then it opened. By the way I actually pulled the key out in the locked position (which you never want to do) that was part but note the start of the problem, it just made it more complicated to get in. He had a scope and took him about 45 minutes to figure it out get in and make 2 new keys. Charged $70, yes he got a tip! Will be getting a new lock as we never figured out what caused the 1st problem.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
If any one can tell me how to respond to all (or if I have) I'd appreciate it.

albon

This post worked fine for notifying everyone, thanks for the follow up and glad you got things worked out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote