Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
derowe82

New floor for camper

Hey everyone,

Wife and I are looking to remodel our camper inside, but also keep weight in mind. We are looking to remove the old carper from the floor, and the slide out floor, and replace it with either that thin, fake wood snap together floor, or peel & stick tiles.

Also looking to paint the cabinets... tip and tricks on painting the vinyl face of the cabinets???

Any info on the best way to accomplish this would be awesome. Maybe some Do's and Don'ts on this project???

Thanks in advance
derowe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I’ve used thin laminate on floors, actually installing that in a 1976 Holiday Rambler now, attached pic. I’ve also used Allure flooring, I believe it’s by traffic master, bought it at Home Depot. It’s a thinner material and has glue strips. That worked very well also. The biggest concern is the slides. If you look at the carpet in the slide, there’s a flap that extends beyond the edge. That flap covers the slide mechanisms/floor strip. If you remove the carpet, you’ll expose that. Doesn’t hurt it, just doesn’t look good. New RVs use a floor that looks like vinyl, but is very durable, but they still have the flap. Don’t know how you would be able to create that with either of the options you’re talking about. I never replaced the carpet in the slide when I did mine, just the main floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DFF48A0-7F92-4C17-B4C2-A0904FADBBA4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	41225  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I’ve used thin laminate on floors, actually installing that in a 1976 Holiday Rambler now, attached pic. I’ve also used Allure flooring, I believe it’s by traffic master, bought it at Home Depot. It’s a thinner material and has glue strips. That worked very well also. The biggest concern is the slides. If you look at the carpet in the slide, there’s a flap that extends beyond the edge. That flap covers the slide mechanisms/floor strip. If you remove the carpet, you’ll expose that. Doesn’t hurt it, just doesn’t look good. New RVs use a floor that looks like vinyl, but is very durable, but they still have the flap. Don’t know how you would be able to create that with either of the options you’re talking about. I never replaced the carpet in the slide when I did mine, just the main floor.

That looks really nice. Yea I put in something similar when I built my wifes salon in out house, so I am somewhat familiar with the flooring... although the stuff i laid down just had a water barrier, and not glue strips, so that's good to know.

The carpet in out slide is somewhat of a burgundy color. Not horrible, but for what we are going with color wise on cabinets and such, may clash. I did notice the flap of carpet though. Maybe I leave the flap and about 6" of carpet on the slide and then do the wood floor vinyl with a threshold to join them???
Old 08-17-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
travelin texans

The other issue is painting the cabinets. You won't be able to sand the vinyl clad or use any type harsh cleaner to prep the cabinets for fear of lifting the vinyl. Then what kind of paint that would adhere to them without chipping or rubbing off of the vinyl.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The other issue is painting the cabinets. You won't be able to sand the vinyl clad or use any type harsh cleaner to prep the cabinets for fear of lifting the vinyl. Then what kind of paint that would adhere to them without chipping or rubbing off of the vinyl.

This came to mind as well. I had ready that if we lightly sand them just enough to take the shine off, the paint will adhere. I am not 100% sure it would work.

I have heard that Chalk paint as a primer helps alot, as well as a Tile & Laminate primer too. I have no experience with either of these, so not sure, but might be worth a shot???
Old 08-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If you replace the floor, be aware that some slides count on the carpet to slide on and it may mar the surface. You might want to consider getting something for the slide to “ride” on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you replace the floor, be aware that some slides count on the carpet to slide on and it may mar the surface. You might want to consider getting something for the slide to “ride” on.
Oh good advice. I'll investigate.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Lippert (and others as well) make slide out slickers. I’ve seen them used, seem to work pretty well. They’re around $60 on Amazon.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:13 PM   #9
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Lippert (and others as well) make slide out slickers. I’ve seen them used, seem to work pretty well. They’re around $60 on Amazon.
Thanks!
I will look into those.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by derowe82 View Post
Oh good advice. I'll investigate.
I put vinyl plank floor in my camper and the slide will scratch in four places with our slide. The ends the heaviest. I bought 1/8" plywood and cut into 3' strips about 6" wide and put in the area where it was initially scratched to keep it from marring worse. They make expensive bits to do the same thing but the 1/8" plywood works fine. My slide comes out a bit over a foot then settles when retracted and I put the plywood in place after bringing the slide in a bit. The couch, dinette and chair are now gone. I didn't put the tie on the slide out as has been mentioned there is an ugly black strip the length of the slide that would be hard to hide and since the carpet gets little traffic, just left it. I now have a dining table and chairs with a plastic floor protector under to keep the carpet from getting dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_floor.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	41286  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I put vinyl plank floor in my camper and the slide will scratch in four places with our slide. The ends the heaviest. I bought 1/8" plywood and cut into 3' strips about 6" wide and put in the area where it was initially scratched to keep it from marring worse. They make expensive bits to do the same thing but the 1/8" plywood works fine. My slide comes out a bit over a foot then settles when retracted and I put the plywood in place after bringing the slide in a bit. The couch, dinette and chair are now gone. I didn't put the tie on the slide out as has been mentioned there is an ugly black strip the length of the slide that would be hard to hide and since the carpet gets little traffic, just left it. I now have a dining table and chairs with a plastic floor protector under to keep the carpet from getting dirty.
Dealer gave us a pair of the Slide Slickers, we were going buy another pair til I saw the price, found some scrap paneling that worked just a well as the SSs & were free.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:03 AM   #12
derowe82

Thanks all!
Old 08-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #13
skids

Quote:
I put vinyl plank floor in my camper (snip)
George, the picture doesn't do it justice. I see no planks...
Old 08-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
George, the picture doesn't do it justice. I see no planks...
Perhaps I didn't call those things the right name. They are about 2 1/2' long and interlock and don't have glue strips. Only thing with this type tile is that they don't like temp extremes. I had some that pulled apart slightly (probably due high temps when camper was not in use). These spots were about 1/8" and I filled them with matching wood filler; looks fine now. I left a gap around the outside and covered with quarter round. The original carpet (2002) was fine but it is really not a great idea to have carpet in a camper.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #15
skids

OK, now I understand. I thought you made sliders or something. The floor looks good.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #16
derowe82

So how would one know if these are needed before trying the slide and at that point almost too late? Also, how would you know where to put them?
Old 09-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

IMO, if you have any doubts, get them. Better safe than sorry

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:39 AM   #18
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
IMO, if you have any doubts, get them. Better safe than sorry

Yea, I was kind of thinking the same. Now I just need to figure out where to place them. The carpet doesn't seem to have any marks on it from the slide... so I will investigate.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #19
jasin1

Quote:

What keeps the plywood from slipping along the floor as the slide is retracted? I have started noticing a slight scratch in a couple of places on my long dinette slide. My slide seems to tip down for a couple of inches before it tilts back up at the end of its retraction process. Starts in tilted up. Then herky jerky until it tips down for a couple of inches then tips back up. Seems like it just started happening recently. I may try a couple of pieces of luan. I noticed the darco has a few scratches in it underneath but not ripped so far.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
What keeps the plywood from slipping along the floor as the slide is retracted? I have started noticing a slight scratch in a couple of places on my long dinette slide. My slide seems to tip down for a couple of inches before it tilts back up at the end of its retraction process. Starts in tilted up. Then herky jerky until it tips down for a couple of inches then tips back up. Seems like it just started happening recently. I may try a couple of pieces of luan. I noticed the darco has a few scratches in it underneath but not ripped so far.
I start the slide in and stop at about a foot then put the 1/8" plywood in place and once partly in, the outer pieces stay in place and it may push the two inside slats a bit but they are in far enough to keep the floor from scratching.

I started by following a video I saw and had glued non-stick shelf material to once side of the 1/8" plywood and very thin plexiglass to the floor side (for easier sliding). It was a wasted effort and the added materials pulled off almost immediately and found the plywood itself worked fine.

Tags
floor