Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2022, 04:36 AM   #1
Rocketsled

Next Toyhauler questions

Had a bad experience (related elsewhere) with the bumper pull toyhauler and a fully loaded 3/4 TV that set some things in motion.

Current TV is now a GMC 3500HD with 5200lbs worth of payload that COMPLETELY changed how we tow.

Naturally, having done that, we started noticing the little niggling things that bug us about the current trailer and are looking around…

Relevant to this thread are the following questions:

2 or 3 axles: We do not intend to full-time, but do intend to boondock in some locations like the photo attached. Sizing the trailer to 17000 or 20000lbs seems to be one of the biggest concerns. I’d rather buy once with a larger trailer than have to do it twice….or do it again to downsize. The trailer will probably max out with a 850 lb motorcycle in the garage, if that….mostly it’s a kayak, a camp bike, and a bunch of lawnchairs. That said, I don’t want to go from a bad ‘fully loaded’ TV situation to ANOTHER fully loaded TV…

How long will it live? Assuming we’re financing 50-60% of the purchase price…the dealerships are happy to give you a 20 year loan…our 2017 Toyhauler is still reasonably okay (had to work on suspension, replace the water pump, upgrade electrical), but is starting to fade and the decals are cracking….I’ve noticed they don’t make ‘grey’ RVs much anymore, I suspect fading is a reason. I’ve waxed and polished this thing 3 times and I’ll be damned if I do that with a trailer that’s 40% larger.

I’m thinking a 2 axle, factory painted, trailer would best meet the requiments, but man, nobody seems to option out a trailer that way, and I don’t want to pay that monstrous first year depreciation hit.

Bonus question: I kinda like packaging for a gooseneck hitch…especially how the hitch doesn’t consume a ton of trailer space while not hauling. What are the downsides, compared to a conventional 5th wheel hitch?

(I swear the photos are right-side up on my tablet… )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08D0382D-6519-4039-8C62-03766465E7CE.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	41192   Click image for larger version

Name:	184B6707-A4C3-4B12-9DB0-786DBD882908.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	41193  
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
bsmith0404

First, the 2 or 3 axle question. That usually comes down to garage size (not always) most TH floor plans are similar. The 15’ garages all have triple axle (as far as I know). Some 23’ do, have never seen a triple axle on anything smaller than 13’. So what size garage do you need’. Personally, if I was buying a TH, I’d get a 13’’ regardless. The shorter garages are more difficult to sell down the road. Seems like most buyers have 4 seat side by sides, they need at least 13’. I don’t really like most triple axles because of the length. I’ve have some issues finding sites for a 39’ don’t want anything 41-43’ so if I was buying, it’d be a 39’ double axle 13’ garage. Each manufacturer builds around 2 floor plans that fit that.

As for how long do they last? My 2013 Alpine still looks new…literally. I’m not just saying that, it literally does. I do have full body paint and wax it twice a year. It was stored inside for 4 years of its life, but has been outside the the other 6. We take a trip to Mexico every fall, we have it detailed while down there. $125 for full wash and wax. They even wash the roof for that price. The second detail is a bit more expensive, costs me $375 stateside I haven’t done anything other than routine maintenance. I take that back, I did replace the control board on the furnace.

As for hitch, I’ve had standard, 5th wheel hitches, Andersen Ultimate, and now a Pullrite 2600. I like the 2600 best of those three options, but plan to switch to a Goosebox now. Just too nice to use the factory puck system and not have anything else in the bed. I take a gen along on most camping trips. I load it at the head of the bed, it’ll be so much nicer to not have a hitch in the way. That wouldn’t be an issue with a TH, but I still like the idea of no hitch to load, store, deal with in any way shape or form. Only downside, I have a short bed truck, I’ll lose about 4” cab clearance compared to the Pullrite.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
Rocketsled

Thanks bsmith0404...I'd like a bigger garage as ours is pretty full with the cabana, chairs, BBQ, propane fire pit, the box that has all the various hoses and lubricants and whatnot....all before you actually put the toys in it. In theory, a bigger TH would let you put a lot of that stuff elsewhere...the bunk between the garage and kitchen, the pass-thru at the front.

In two axle TH's, it seems like you get a 4 butt couch, or a longer garage...in the floor plans where they have a couple of smaller couches, the kitchen has ZERO storage space. a 12+ foot garage and a 4 butt couch seems to equal 3 axles.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #4
travelin texans

I've watched triple axle THs backing into campsites & it almost makes me ill watching the tires nearly rolling off the wheels scrubbing in the slightest angle. Which brings up the other point, that's another axle of bearings, bushings, brakes, & tires to maintain.
Not to mention unless you get the longest triple axle the bigger the garage the smaller the living area. Typically with the TV up high in a corner with all seating looking 90 degrees upward at it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've watched triple axle THs backing into campsites & it almost makes me ill watching the tires nearly rolling off the wheels scrubbing in the slightest angle. Which brings up the other point, that's another axle of bearings, bushings, brakes, & tires to maintain.
Not to mention unless you get the longest triple axle the bigger the garage the smaller the living area. Typically with the TV up high in a corner with all seating looking 90 degrees upward at it.
And an added toll for the 3 rd axel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
Rocketsled

I've seen folks say the triple tows better when full (and in a straight line) and heard tire scrub was the worst....and tire scrub wasn't that bad.

But I'm also thinking a 40 foot 5th wheel will take up just about the same footprint as our 37 foot bumperpull.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
bsmith0404

When I transported I pulled a few triple axles (I know people who own them will probably say they’re not bad), imo, they were a pig to tow. Felt the tire scrub in every corner. I also got terrible fuel mileage with them. It’s not because of the weight, they weighed the same empty as my 5er does loaded. If it’s the right floor plan for you, so be it, but I’ll never own one.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #8
P & T

I got the B&W hitch so it's not so bulky in the bed. I've towed a lot of two axle trailers and this Raptor bastard is long, but the 3 axles going down the road are smooth and no sway. The hardest part of towing this thing is the cornering around trees at campsites. With some of our spots it is easier to back out of then taking out trees. The 13' garage even seems small, I could not imagine having anything smaller.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:00 AM   #9
Skillet173

Full body paint really makes a difference but is a very expensive option. When I was searching I never did see one “on the lot” and suspect they are custom order only.
My Fuzion is 44’ overall, l-o-n-g in reverse and somewhat stressful backing into barn, but tows very well forward as I imagine most 5ers do. I didn’t want a tri-axle but do enjoy the 15’ garage space. I try to be cognizant of the tire scrub and not make tight radius turns backing. I’m sure when I have to replace tires (6 truck,6 trailer) I’ll need therapy!
My rig has yet to be at a campground with the exception of using dump station and I was worried about the length and uneven terrain at some of the tracks we race. So far no issues with ground clearance and jacks (knock on wood) but I definitely take it slow.
Find a floor plan that suits your needs and go for it!!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toyhauler