Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #1
Moldham60

Wall Mounted AC Leaking Inside

Hey all,

I have a 2019 Keystone Springdale Mini with a wall mounted ac thats leaking inside from both sides. I've taken the AC out to look for drain holes on the back but I don't think I see any. There are holes on the bottom of the ac that look clear. The drain pan looks totally fine as well. The AC has condensation on the sides and top which makes me think for some reason the AC is throwing water out of the sides/top and it's not being caught by the pan. I'm at a loss here on what to do. Any suggestions?
Moldham60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
Ibdagriz

Is it a Mini-split or a window unit? If window unit, is it angled down in the back where it is outside of the wall?

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldham60 View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2019 Keystone Springdale Mini with a wall mounted ac thats leaking inside from both sides. I've taken the AC out to look for drain holes on the back but I don't think I see any. There are holes on the bottom of the ac that look clear. The drain pan looks totally fine as well. The AC has condensation on the sides and top which makes me think for some reason the AC is throwing water out of the sides/top and it's not being caught by the pan. I'm at a loss here on what to do. Any suggestions?
I had a 2016 17 foot mini with the same air conditioner set up. Whatever you do, don't try to drill a drain hole in that pan. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying a new air conditioner.
Initially I thought a window A/C was a great idea - very economical. I soon figured out it was only a good idea on paper. My unit was behind a corner so I had to put a fan on the kitchen counter to blow cool air up toward the front of the camper. And condensate drainage was a real problem.
I ended up taking the A/C out and installing flashing in the opening. I used aluminum duct tape to seal all the seams and basically made a wall to wall tray that covered the walls up to the top of the A/C. All the condensate that splashed out - especially while going down the road - was then directed out of the vent in the outside wall.
It cured that big water puddle I used to find in the floor whenever we went anywhere. It was still working when I sold the camper three years later.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Moldham60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
Is it a Mini-split or a window unit? If window unit, is it angled down in the back where it is outside of the wall?

Griz
It's a window unit. Yes, it's angled back. I even have the camper tilted so it's angled more.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
Moldham60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I had a 2016 17 foot mini with the same air conditioner set up. Whatever you do, don't try to drill a drain hole in that pan. I ended up going to Lowe's and buying a new air conditioner.
Initially I thought a window A/C was a great idea - very economical. I soon figured out it was only a good idea on paper. My unit was behind a corner so I had to put a fan on the kitchen counter to blow cool air up toward the front of the camper. And condensate drainage was a real problem.
I ended up taking the A/C out and installing flashing in the opening. I used aluminum duct tape to seal all the seams and basically made a wall to wall tray that covered the walls up to the top of the A/C. All the condensate that splashed out - especially while going down the road - was then directed out of the vent in the outside wall.
It cured that big water puddle I used to find in the floor whenever we went anywhere. It was still working when I sold the camper three years later.
I like this idea a lot, definitely gonna do this. Any tips that you can remember? Also how did you mold the flashing if at all?
Old 08-14-2022, 12:25 AM   #6
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldham60 View Post
I like this idea a lot, definitely gonna do this. Any tips that you can remember? Also how did you mold the flashing if at all?
Aluminum flashing is easy to shape by hand. I vaguely recall removing the outside grate as part of the process. Probably in order to seal the raw edge of the wall to prevent water intrusion. I used aluminum tape at the time but if I were doing it again I’d consider using Eterna Bond tape instead.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, mount