Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #1
jasin1

Different but the same

Different kind of camping this weekend….very similar to rving…my wife and I were talking and realized that we almost always choose seaside destinations when we take out the fifth wheel..some people love the mountains but I like to be near the water.

The power hookup is similar….ours has twin 30amp connections and city water hookup while docked….rates are about the same but some are pricier than others ..this place is almost $4 a foot on weekends and a little under $3 during the week…you get to use the pool and free bikes and they have a complimentary car to drop you off and pick you up in the little town…they charge extra per day for each 30 amp power cord. $15 a cord per day and have Wi-Fi…it was $200 a day total which is more then we usually spend but it’s a nice treat every now and then…might as well enjoy life!..anyway my daughter just did a interview with us for the magazine she works for and it made us realize the similarities…this is Saint Michaels MD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D446B6A-6181-4305-852B-C20468260B64.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	41014   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9EB5A15-7E4C-4633-BD6B-9BAD0B7E32A0.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	41015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD7F4CD0-B379-444F-B77D-0FAA5E0694B8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	41075  
Old 08-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Different kind of camping this weekend….very similar to rving…my wife and I were talking and realized that we almost always choose seaside destinations when we take out the fifth wheel..some people love the mountains but I like to be near the water.

The power hookup is similar….ours has twin 30amp connections and city water hookup while docked….rates are about the same but some are pricier than others ..this place is almost $4 a foot on weekends and a little under $3 during the week…you get to use the pool and free bikes and they have a complimentary car to drop you off and pick you up in the little town…they charge extra per day for each 30 amp power cord. $15 a cord per day and have Wi-Fi…it was $200 a day total which is more then we usually spend but it’s a nice treat every now and then…might as well enjoy life!..anyway my daughter just did a interview with us for the magazine she works for and it made us realize the similarities…this is Saint Michaels MD
Absolutely!
We used to have a 32 foot long Sea Ray that we enjoyed "camping" in. The problems though were mostly oriented around security. I never was comfortable pulling up to a city landing and leaving the boat unattended while out sight seeing. Boaters don't have the same kind of attitude as campers, either. We paid an ungodly fee for a slip at a local marina and most of the people there never got underway - it was just a place to hang out and get drunk for them. We decided are pontoon people, not cruiser people.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Absolutely!
We used to have a 32 foot long Sea Ray that we enjoyed "camping" in. The problems though were mostly oriented around security. I never was comfortable pulling up to a city landing and leaving the boat unattended while out sight seeing. Boaters don't have the same kind of attitude as campers, either. We paid an ungodly fee for a slip at a local marina and most of the people there never got underway - it was just a place to hang out and get drunk for them. We decided are pontoon people, not cruiser people.
Yeah my wife and I aren’t into that lifestyle…know people that just drive the boat 3 miles out and raft up and drink all day and that just isn’t for us anymore…wife was never much of a drinker and I hung up my beer mug years ago for the last time…but to each his own and partiers are “my people” I just can’t hang with them like I used to
Old 08-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I never understood why anyone has to get blitzed on alcohol to feel like they've had fun. If anyone needs alcohol to have fun, then their lives must be pretty miserable. Yet, people abuse it all the time. Life has too much to offer and there is joy in some of the simplest things all around us. People just miss it, absolutely! I don't understand!
Old 08-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
peanut

You are correct - boating and RV'ing are very similar. But RV'ing is MUCH, MUCH less expensive.

I love boats. The last one I had - before retiring - was a 30 foot Tollycraft. Twin 350's and a joy to run.
Moorage is expensive. Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands run 75-80 bucks per night - if you can get in. I paid, 12 years ago, just under $300 per month for my moorage in Portland. And fuel? Oh my. My Tolly had a 200 gallon tank. And I used about 18-20 gallons PER HOUR at cruise speed. At $7/gal you can go thru a paycheck in one day. I remember one weekend trip from Portland to Astoria (at the mouth of the Columbia River - about 100 miles). Fuel and two nights moorage set me back right around $800. I could have driven and stayed in a nice motel/hotel for less than $300. Please don't ask me about the time we sailed between Portland and the San Juan Islands for a 3 week stay. Paid for that trip for months afterwards. At least I can get 12-13 mpg pulling a trailer instead of 1-2 mpg with the boat.

Maintenance is expensive. Constant cleaning, polishing, varnishing, caulking. Marine shops are not shy about their prices when it's time for engine tune-ups or prop repair. And there are almost always two of everything. Zincs, bottom painting every few years. Ugh. And for a lot of maintenance the boat needs to be hauled.

We actually used our boat but many - most ? - don't. It's just a substitute riverfront/beach condo where they go to party and drink. My sister-in-law and her SO bought a 30 foot sailboat after us taking them out a few times. They never - I mean never left the dock. If they wanted to actually go out on the river they called us. But they were down there at least every other weekend and every holiday getting their party faces on.

I miss that boat. I miss not having to make reservations - - just hit the water and find a nice (empty) cove, drop the anchor, and there you are. Fish, swim, dinghy to shore and take walks. Wonderful for last minute "let's go out for the weekend" decisions. But it just got too expensive. Especially once I retired and lost 1/3 of my monthly income. Didn't take long to realize that that 1/3 was what gave me the freedom to have/enjoy that boat.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
wrvond

After several types of boat we ended up with a 19 foot pontoon with a Honda 90 outboard. The freedom is amazing! We can trailer it anywhere and tool around for days on a 23 gallon tank. Winterizing is even easier than a camper. We’ve even got a privacy compartment with a porta-potty.
We’re going to spend a weekend on Summersville Lake sleeping on the boat at anchor. If we enjoy it as much as we think we will I’m going to have camper canvas made for it. We had camper canvas on our Sea Ray and enjoyed bringing meals up from the galley and sitting in there safe from bugs while eating.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
You are correct - boating and RV'ing are very similar. But RV'ing is MUCH, MUCH less expensive.

I love boats. The last one I had - before retiring - was a 30 foot Tollycraft. Twin 350's and a joy to run.
Moorage is expensive. Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands run 75-80 bucks per night - if you can get in. I paid, 12 years ago, just under $300 per month for my moorage in Portland. And fuel? Oh my. My Tolly had a 200 gallon tank. And I used about 18-20 gallons PER HOUR at cruise speed. At $7/gal you can go thru a paycheck in one day. I remember one weekend trip from Portland to Astoria (at the mouth of the Columbia River - about 100 miles). Fuel and two nights moorage set me back right around $800. I could have driven and stayed in a nice motel/hotel for less than $300. Please don't ask me about the time we sailed between Portland and the San Juan Islands for a 3 week stay. Paid for that trip for months afterwards. At least I can get 12-13 mpg pulling a trailer instead of 1-2 mpg with the boat.

Maintenance is expensive. Constant cleaning, polishing, varnishing, caulking. Marine shops are not shy about their prices when it's time for engine tune-ups or prop repair. And there are almost always two of everything. Zincs, bottom painting every few years. Ugh. And for a lot of maintenance the boat needs to be hauled.

We actually used our boat but many - most ? - don't. It's just a substitute riverfront/beach condo where they go to party and drink. My sister-in-law and her SO bought a 30 foot sailboat after us taking them out a few times. They never - I mean never left the dock. If they wanted to actually go out on the river they called us. But they were down there at least every other weekend and every holiday getting their party faces on.

I miss that boat. I miss not having to make reservations - - just hit the water and find a nice (empty) cove, drop the anchor, and there you are. Fish, swim, dinghy to shore and take walks. Wonderful for last minute "let's go out for the weekend" decisions. But it just got too expensive. Especially once I retired and lost 1/3 of my monthly income. Didn't take long to realize that that 1/3 was what gave me the freedom to have/enjoy that boat.
Yeah it gets expensive…I may downsize sometime in the future..I don’t know but I also would love to get a toy hauler and a large inflatable boat to keep in the back with a decent size outboard for getting around in the keys over the winter…saw a guy last winter with one and thought it was a great idea..someone mentioned it on the forum also.

Tollycrafts are nice seaworthy boats.

Anyway I just thought I’d mention another style of camping…I know it doesn’t really fit too well on the forum but thanks all for indulging me
Old 08-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

My wife and I enjoy sailing and maintained a 27 footer for several years. Many similarities to camping. We've now changed our boating model to a charter in the Caribbean every year or two and let someone else worry about maintenance and dockage..
One difference I've noted is electrical. Many use the same 30 amp systems as our campers but when more power is required they add a second 30 amp cord and circuit rather than go to a 50 amp circuit. I've never inquired as to the reason.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:24 PM   #9
wegone

I do both, however my boat comes home with me and keeps my TT company when they not being used....

Just yesterday we took her out to go shopping for food.
Had to search around a bit, find my spot, but I did and dropped my traps.

Went and killed some time with my wife catching some flounder and rock sole, and then pulled the traps after letting them soak for about 90 minutes.

Shopping was good, but eating was better....

Do both, life is short
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crab-4-studio.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	764.2 KB
ID:	41154   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 2-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-1-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	41155   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab-6-studio.jpg
Size:	871.5 KB
ID:	41156   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab-2-studio.jpg
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	41157  
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:31 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Nice haul!
Andersen hitch
Old 08-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #11
wegone

Being able to share with others what you've been blessed with is one of the greatest joys on earth.....

This is Dr. Joe.
He came aboard the practice my wife managed before she retired.
His first gig out of school, a very good kid.

My wife told him of our lives here on the island, and being raised and schooled landlocked, he was so excited to hear of her stories.

He LOVES crab, so she invited him and his fiancé out on the boat yesterday.

We got 8 real nice keepers.

He ate 2 big ones by himself, and that was after bowls of her homemade gazpacho.

Sent them off with 4 whole crabs on ice.
Bet he ate them for breakfast
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	joe-studio.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	41180  
Old 08-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Dang, that's even bigger than our texas crabs. (OK, much bigger!)
Andersen hitch
Old 08-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Dang, that's even bigger than our texas crabs. (OK, much bigger!)
Dungeness crab also has great flavor, far more than Snow and King.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
jasin1

The Chesapeake Bay has just entered the chat..it’s all in what you grew up with i guess..i worked on crab boats in high school and schucked oysters at bull roasts as a side gig for about 20 years from when i was a teen until it interfered with work later on…Father-in-law worked at Bethlehem steel all his life but had a 40’ chesapeake bay deadrise built and was a commercial crabber on the side..i could just go into the walk-in box and steam them up whenever i wanted some..He had a steam boiler and 3 big giant stainless steamers that you just hit the switch and turned a valve and the best crabs a short time later….he used JO seasoning…i like the chesapeake for crabs ..Maine for lobster( recently had lobster in the keys and it was terrible imo)…and i somewhat like alaskan king crabs ..oysters from the northeast are also high on the list..LOVE scallops too

i do like the fact that it’s mostly cold water fishing you do up there..i’m not particularly fond of warm water seafood

i can remember being a kid and my grandfather would make a big fire on an outdoor brick barbecue and would steam corn wrapped in wet newspapers in the husk..then a big pot of steamed crabs we caught off his pier over the week ..i’d always get to have a little sip of natty boh when no one was paying attention …no air conditioning back then just enjoying the day outside and swimming off the pier…big fan in the house and an outdoor phone ringer on the side of the house that i can still hear if i close my eyes for a min

my grandfather was a american legion post commander and then just very active and we always had people over back then..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F13993C0-7BA0-4589-AC3B-263CB33242FC.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	41187   Click image for larger version

Name:	4654542E-6BA7-445C-8538-928AE60B6182.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	41188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBA6F471-EDA5-41BE-93EB-61B33B035CC8.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	41189  
Old 08-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

And currently jumbo males are about $5/crab, yup $60/dozen steamed. I remember many a weekend buying them live and thinking that $50 a bushel was rediculousy expensive.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:29 PM   #16
jasin1

yeah prices are getting out of control..it’s a shame
Old 08-16-2022, 07:05 AM   #17
wegone

I remember reading Chesapeake by James Michner decades ago....

It really got my juices flowing, still haven't visited it to date.

I can dig one hole and get all the steamers I need.
I let them sit in saltwater I change out daily for a few days to spit...
Then I steam them till they pop open, grab them and toss one into my mouth, the other into a bowl of melted butter, olive oil, and garlic....
Chill it overnight, and then reheat SLOWLY and pour over homemade linguini.....

OH MY, forget any clam sauce you ever had anywhere!

Also have butter clams, they are bigger, and further out, so a deeper low tide is needed to reach their beds.

I dig up a couple 4-6 of them.
Take them home and split them in two, half.
Rinse.
Then dredge them in a flour and cornmeal dry mix.
Cook shell side up, meat down, in HOT oil in a cast iron skillet until golden brown.
Drain and eat right out of the shell, dripping soy sauce and wasabi on them....oh yeah baby.
I like to eat clams during the winter colder water months, they are so much sweeter then.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I remember reading Chesapeake by James Michner decades ago....

It really got my juices flowing, still haven't visited it to date.

I can dig one hole and get all the steamers I need.
I let them sit in saltwater I change out daily for a few days to spit...
Then I steam them till they pop open, grab them and toss one into my mouth, the other into a bowl of melted butter, olive oil, and garlic....
Chill it overnight, and then reheat SLOWLY and pour over homemade linguini.....

OH MY, forget any clam sauce you ever had anywhere!

Also have butter clams, they are bigger, and further out, so a deeperj low tide is needed to reach their beds.

I dig up a couple 4-6 of them.
Take them home and split them in two, half.
Rinse.
Then dredge them in a flour and cornmeal dry mix.
Cook shell side up, meat down, in HOT oil in a cast iron skillet until golden brown.
Drain and eat right out of the shell, dripping soy sauce and wasabi on them....oh yeah baby.
I like to eat clams during the winter colder water months, they are so much sweeter then.
sounds delicious!…my daughter and her husband are out in Washington and Oregon for the last 10 days tent camping and hiking all over..Mt Rainier, Lake Wenatchee, snohomish and North Cascades..they fly out and rent a pickup truck and travel all over..mostly tent camp but stay in a airbnb for a night usually…this was their airbnb for one of the nights
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA7AC231-4329-46AD-A240-E8C6778A846E.jpg
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	41199  
Old 08-16-2022, 12:59 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

The Chesapeake Bay is a unique area. There's over 3,000 miles of tidal shoreline because of all the tributaries with many towns accessible by water. I miss boating (except the expense) and enjoying the bounties and beauty the Bay offered.

Maryland Rockfish stuffed with crab imperial, eating steamed crabs on a boat while anchored at Hart-Millers Island with silver queen corn and Maryland beefsteak tomatoes. As with any area's local quisine those that are ocustomed to eating it will proclaim "it's the best". To me seafood is best north of Georgia. MD steamed blue crabs, MD Rock fish, Chincoteague Isl. VA oysters, flounder from offshore of MD, DE, VA, Maine lobster, shrimp steamed with beer and vinegar with onions, etc. And if anyone wants a delectable cake check out the https://smithislandcake.com/ cakes. Dang, now I'm hungry.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #20
Camp CA

I know the feeling........we love hanging out on the boat at the dock or cruising / sailing San Francisco Bay.