Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
peanut

Towing with confidence package

Just a quick question.
Photo is a screen grab from the Cougar website.
Is the TST system in this package an internal system or and external (valve stem) system?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-06-22 at 10.03.09.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	40368  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
wrvond

https://www.keystonerv.com/towing-wi...idence-package

I realize that the term "wheel mounted" isn't necessarily clear. It seems to me that caps that are screwed onto the valve stem are mounted to the wheel and so could be considered "wheel mounted".
So I called and spoke to Peggy at TSTtrucks.com and asked her if the sensors are mounted to the valve stems like caps or if they are mounted inside the wheel.
She stated they are mounted inside the wheel.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
bsmith0404

TST makes sensors that mount internally now. That is what is being used. I’m considering switching to them with my next tire change
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #4
wrvond

I'll bet a nearby RV dealership would be glad to sell the Towing With Confidence package and install it without taking six months to do it.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
notanlines

About $425 for the sensor kit, and say $575 for the Goodyear Endurance tires. I'd go for the Carlisle brand for about $450 instead.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
About $425 for the sensor kit, and say $575 for the Goodyear Endurance tires. I'd go for the Carlisle brand for about $450 instead.
Goodyear warranty is six years vs. Carlisle warranty of two years.
I’m thinking the Goodyears may be a better value.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm attaching a little guide to the warranty on the GY Endurance. It does say 6 years but there's not any way I'm running a set of trailer tires on a large trailer for 6 years....or 5 etc. 3-4 probably. No more than trailer tires cost I would never try to get a warranty replacement; fight with a tire dealer etc. Read the stuff on the warranty that would worry me; cracks, cosmetic cracks etc. .....and then THEY will be the ones to decide if the tire, and you're time and effort was worth a new tire, for like $175....maybe? In todays prices it costs me almost that much to drive to a dealer to initiate something like that. Never used a tire warranty and doubt I ever will.

https://www.goodyear.com/content/dam...012%20page.pdf
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:23 AM   #8
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm attaching a little guide to the warranty on the GY Endurance. It does say 6 years but there's not any way I'm running a set of trailer tires on a large trailer for 6 years....or 5 etc. 3-4 probably. No more than trailer tires cost I would never try to get a warranty replacement; fight with a tire dealer etc. Read the stuff on the warranty that would worry me; cracks, cosmetic cracks etc. .....and then THEY will be the ones to decide if the tire, and you're time and effort was worth a new tire, for like $175....maybe? In todays prices it costs me almost that much to drive to a dealer to initiate something like that. Never used a tire warranty and doubt I ever will.

https://www.goodyear.com/content/dam...012%20page.pdf
Those are good points. I don't think I've ever used a warranty for anything either. My truck was out of warranty within nine months of purchase due to mileage. My new camper has had warranty worthy issues but I've corrected them all myself - dealers are worthless.
I was using the tire warranties as a yardstick to measure the confidence of the manufacturer in their product but you're right, it really just becomes a marketing device more than anything else.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:03 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Reading the GY warranty, there's a statement that weather cracking is only covered for 4 years on a pro-rated basis. It also requires the tire carcass to be returned for inspection on a "blow-out event". That shipping is at the owner's expense. So, pay $50 to ship the pieces to GY and hope they don't find "weather cracking that voids the warranty"...

No thanks, after my GY experience in the 90's, there won't be any repeats. Not until the "bitter taste" resolves. It's been 25 years and that taste is still as bitter as it was when I towed home with Maxxis tires, so I doubt I'll live long enough to buy GY's again.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:11 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Tire and battery warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Like mattresses, they are always sold at some ridiculous "sale price" then prorated at the "regular price". So after the short term of the "full replacement" the pro rated value nears the cost of the difference so you end up paying close to the market price. To be blunt (unusual for me right?) those warranties are little more than a scam.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #11
peanut

Reading the last handful of posts is hilarious. All the comments of 'I've never used a warranty' - 'warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on' - 'warranties are a scam' - 'warranties are just a marketing device'. But when those same terms are used in the gooseball/pinbox debate those same posters rush to "correct" you. I'll pull out the popcorn and read all about how these warranties over here are different from those warranties over there.

BTW, thanks to y'all who answered my original question.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #12
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Reading the last handful of posts is hilarious. All the comments of 'I've never used a warranty' - 'warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on' - 'warranties are a scam' - 'warranties are just a marketing device'. But when those same terms are used in the gooseball/pinbox debate those same posters rush to "correct" you. I'll pull out the popcorn and read all about how these warranties over here are different from those warranties over there.

I also belong to a couple astronomy forums and many threads devolve into "discussions" concerning the finer points of various equipment.
As with virtually anything, people have experiences that shape their often strong opinions. I'm willing to accept the validity of their experiences and the conclusions they draw from them.
Ultimately I have to make my choice(s) based on what feels right to me.
When I post a question on here I am generally looking for one of two things - experiences and opinions. I don't let others make my choices for me, but I'm open to other perspectives along the way.
Until I lay my money down no decision is cast in stone.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I'm glad you got a giggle out of it. Not sure how you equate opinions on tire & battery warrenties with the frame warranty previously discussed. I'm not a fan of making absolute statements or misrepresenting a specific statement to infer a generalization. It's illogical to do that as yes the warranties do differ and I think most folks that have had decades of experience understand this. But carry on with eating your popcorn.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
bsmith0404

I want to know why I can’t see all of the emojis on my phone. I click the little button, only the first 4 or 5 come up, then it’s just a blank page. I want to eat popcorn too sometimes, but can’t. I don’t like switching to the full site, it’s too busy for a phone screen imo.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Yes, you're original question was answered. The thread then does what threads do and "moved on". Like wvrond I belong to lots of forums and in general a thread wanders. Also like him that doesn't bother me. I take everything in and make a decision based on what's important to me....and my gut.

Now your comments about the gooseball/pinbox discussion is hilarious as well. To think that a discussion about a warranty on a $150 tire carries the same importance as the cost of a new trailer due to a damaged frame, and the discussion/fact finding required for each would be the same is, well...hilarious. Apples and oranges which I think most people get. Hope you like popcorn.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
Backtheblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Goodyear warranty is six years vs. Carlisle warranty of two years.
I’m thinking the Goodyears may be a better value.
I am not sure where you found the Goodyear warranty at 6 years. I just purchased 2 Goodyear Endurance ST tires for my 2021 Cougar 23MLS and they came with a 1 year warranty.

if you can forward me that 6 yr warranty link it would be greatly appreciated.
Backtheblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #17
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtheblue View Post
I am not sure where you found the Goodyear warranty at 6 years. I just purchased 2 Goodyear Endurance ST tires for my 2021 Cougar 23MLS and they came with a 1 year warranty.

if you can forward me that 6 yr warranty link it would be greatly appreciated.
It may be that the purchase has to be part of the "Towing With Confidence Package" offered by Keystone on select models.
The "Towing With Confidence Package" was the topic of the OP.

This link might get you started though:

https://www.keystonerv.com/towing-wi...idence-package

There's also this on TireRack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-30-2022, 11:44 AM   #18
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Tires seem to look for trouble

Over the years I have purchased many tires. My experience has shown that somewhere down the road I will have a tire problem. Whether it be on trailers I own or my cars or trucks, even trying to buy the best tires for the application, problems still appear. In recent years I have bought many tires from Discount Tire and purchased their additional warranty for $25 per tire. With this warranty there has never been a question regarding replacing a tire, no matter what caused the issue. I don't buy warranties for anything else. Never have. But I feel I have always come out ahead with the Discount Tire warranty. Just one replacement on a set of four pays for the warranty. Also like their free repair services. Have used that several times in recent years.
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Warranties are like packing a rain suit when going on a bike ride. Never does rain. Getting you .17 pellet gun out when you see foxes in your front year every night. You won't see one again. Going outside under dark skies with an umbrella. Won't rain. I don't buy warranties especially on stuff where I have to send the product back to some corporation... like a TV purchased at Walmart. If the thing dies the first week you own it, take it back to Wallies. A year down the road with the 2 year warranty you bought? Ever mail a TV that originally cost $129? Just go ahead and buy a new one. Called being self-insured. The most hilarious warranties are the car fixing ones. They will warranty your car and pay for repairs on a car made 2000 or newer? How could these warranty companies make any money? Its right up there with the extended RV warranties and I will now quit bloviating before I offend some fine member who thought the RV warranty might come in handy... some day.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing