Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #1
jasin1

Outdoor kitchen opinions

Researching toy haulers and larger fifth wheels and I’m trying to decide if outdoor kitchens are worth it or not….couple of the issues I see are …getting grease on the side of the rv when cooking..attracting bugs and rodents while in storage if it isn’t completely spotless and clean

The plus would be that it keeps the rv from heating up and getting odors from cooking esp ifyou don’t have a thru wall exhaust.

Those that have an outdoor kitchen ….any problems? Is it worth having?
Old 04-18-2022, 06:02 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Jasin I don't have an outside kitchen and won't for the reason you gave and others. All they actually do is take away space and put a secondary "kitchen" wherever they can poke it in and then the owner deals with that decision. I prefer my own outside "kitchen". More elaborate than a built in one since it includes a bbq grill, flat top and smoker but you can adjust the size/components to preference. I carry several different little tables for it all including 2 aluminum "slat" type tables that collapse into small carrying cases. I use plastic totes vs the fixed cupboards in the outdoor kitchen.

For just "cooking" I carry 2 NuWave induction cookers I place outside when I'm going to use that method; lightweight, effective and take up very little room when traveling. They are extremely effective and temp settings are extremely accurate vs the other methods of heating - so much so I'll be installing a 36" induction range at the s&b when I return. You might think about those options which in turn open up options on a new RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
jasin1

Yeah that s probably the best way to handle it.. I was looking at blackstones before my last trip. My wife would probably like a portable kitchen set up outside and she was concerned about what space you give up inside to accommodate a built in outdoor kitchen
Old 04-18-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Those folks who have the out door kitchen set-ups seem to like them. At least they don't admit they DON'T like them. I don't think I've ever heard or read of anyone having complaints about them.

The only real concern about the outside kitchens is the refrigerator. Apparently, they install only small apartment size residential (all electric) refrigerators in the outside kitchens. No gas/electric refrigerators. I suppose to install a gas/electric refrigerator would mean providing a proper way to vent them for the gas burner, and that is just too difficult to accomplish.

So the problem arises about traveling and keeping things cold in them. Most do not have freezers. At best, a small spot for an ice tray, if that.

The other concerns I've read is the drain for the kitchen sink. Some models don't even have kitchen sinks, only a propane stove top and the refrigerator.

I've seen at campgrounds where people leave their outside kitchen door open all night, even in the rain. Because it lifts up, like the engine hood on a car and not like the front door of your house, the door acts as a canopy or awning. I've read some complaints where rain will make things wet (oh duh!). I've never, ever heard of anyone ever having anything stolen in the middle of the night from them when left open though.

I would think, the biggest problem with them is the height. Unless you are parked seasonally at one site, you will travel from campground to campground and be parked on different sites every time. Every campground has different terrain. Some campsites are extremely level. Others are a roller coaster hill. Depending on where you actually land, it's possible you could be on a hill, where the camper is relatively level, but just off the pad, the ground slopes downward (or upward). If this happens, reaching the stove when it is above your chest is not a comfortable experience.

The opposite is true too, if the slope goes the other way, you have to bend over so you don't bash your head on the overhead door, and your stove is level with your knees.

Plus, what happens if the wind is blowing the wrong direction and your propane stove keeps blowing out, or it blows so hard everything in your outside kitchen blows around. And how about the sun. If the sun is in the right direction, you can't even sit comfortable under your awning, because the awning doesn't shade the sun. You are still in direct sun. Standing in front of a cooking stove with the sun beating down in 95 degree weather is not a pleasant experience either.

Again, if you are parked seasonal, all of these obstacles are easily overcome as you can set up the logistics of your campsite a bit more permanent. But, if you actually travel, you will find these obstacles to be very challenging and time consuming, and maybe even impossible to overcome.

We had a pull down outside camp stove and a sink with running water, but no drain in the sink. We loved it and used it along with a Coleman Camp Stove and electric flat griddles and electric skillets. Many times, the attached outside stove was positioned wrong due to the weather, time of day, or the campground terrain. Eventually, we quit trying to use the actual stove. We did use the water. That came in real handy. But, I attached a longer hose that would reach the picnic table.

We have found, setting up an electric griddle or the electric skillet, or the Coleman Camp Stove, or using the fire pit with an open fire more useful, practical, and fun than using the camper, especially that outside propane attached stove.

These are some thinks to think about. If you are a hotdog over the fire type of camper, then an outside kitchen will be a total waste of space in your camper, space you desperately need for other purposes.

If you enjoy cooking full blown meals for an army of people 3 times a day, wanting an outside refrigerator for easy access to the beverages, then an outside kitchen will be your forte. But, we found, bringing along an extra ice chest cooler and keeping the beverages in it (outside) worked just as nice, even better, since everything was packed cold in ice! And the inside refrigerator in the camper had a freezer section where we could make replacement ice very easy in about 5 hours.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
adm1949

Smile Outdoor Kitchens

I had an outdoor kitchen in a previous trailer. Used it for cooking a couple of times and didn't like the cleanup. I did like the outdoor fridge mainly for beer and the sink was useful. I don't have the outdoor kitchen in my current trailer and haven't missed it. The fridge in this trailer is large so it holds our food AND my beer!

I have a Blackstone griddle and do most of our cooking outdoors with that. I also have a "tailgater" pellet grill that I sometimes use. About the only thing we cook inside the trailer is coffee.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
Camping family

I have one and love it. Haven’t had any problems with bugs or rodents in it. I keep it clean like I do the rest of my camper. Just like the inside kitchen. As for the frig I only stock it once I’m at the camp site. Then it’s mostly with the cold beverage. While cooking I do keep some food items in it. Pros keeps the temps down inside the camper. Keeps mess out of the main kitchen. Allows you to be outside with everything you need while cooking. Cons not useful when it raining or very windy. But I love mine.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
travelin texans

I've read countless threads where they've removed this or that from the outdoor kitchen to replace it with ??? to make it more useful for their needs/wants.
I'm with sourdough, didn't/don't want an outdoor kitchen on the rv but do carry the items to have a very nice setup for whatever I'm cooking wherever I want to cook it.
Also those induction hotplate cookers are fantastic. We bought the as seen on TV 2fer deal several years ago & the wife never took the cover off the gas burners in the rv afterwards & uses them daily in the S&B. Also bought the Emerill 360 air fryer as seen on TV, it's about the size of a big toaster oven, but does all kinds of cooking, baking, dehydrating & rotisserie, awesome chickenwings. The DW uses it daily & unless something is very large very rarely uses the built-in oven.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
CampNBrew2

We like ours and actually use the little 2 burner stovetop frequently. I looked into swapping a small blackstone griddle there, but have better things to do. Also less equipment to drag out of the storage bay.
Since we mostly dry camp, I yanked the tiny fridge as soon as we brought it home. We mainly use the space for storage- It is very easy access vs the basement storage so we keep oft used stuff in there.
The tiny sink is great for handwashing or rinsing, and is also used for storage while traveling.
The large hatch door can be a blessing or curse, as Dutchmensport mentioned, it depends on the site topography. It's mostly not an issue. If it is too low I install the neon green pool noodle on the edge of the hatch door and close it when done so its not a hazard. Cooking breakfast at neck level is a little daunting if its too high
I wish my awning was full trailer length but stops short of the outdoor kitchen, so the hatch does get used for that, but never left open when leaving the trailer or overnight. Seems an invitation for bugs, rodents, or sticky fingers.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I see them have water leaks, door struts fail, door seal fails and counter warps….I don’t like them, never have. I carry a Camp Chef 3 burner grill with a cast iron griddle that covers 2 burners. It is in storage bags made for the components so no rodent or grease mess. YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

We love our outdoor kitchen! Stove, fridge and sink. It is placed under the rear bunks so we don’t lose any floor space. No grease on the side of the camper and NEVER had issues with bugs in the summer or critters while in storage. I hate cooking inside the camper; heat, humidity, cooking odors, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAF5854F-7C5A-456A-9C50-15A6214B8B76.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	39321  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #11
Essvar

100% LOVE the outdoor kitchen, not for the TV, not for the griddle (which I've never used) but strictly for the fridge. It keeps people from traipsing in and out of the trailer for drinks.... with motorcross boots on....
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #12
Weldon

Obviously we don't have an outdoor kitchen. we don't have a slide on our TT either (or a monthly payment). But i still love our little TT. 99% of our cooking is done outside. I actually lit the stove's pilot light for the first time last trip so the DM could bake a blackberry cobbler for our family gathering. Actually worked very well, but the inside of the TT went up a lot, and our propane level went way down. Also took 2 hours (34 servings).

I keep one of these tables behind our sofa and use it for grilling. We have another 6 ft table we keep for family games, schoolwork, etc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...80506/49408130

Then i keep both of these in pass through storage. Although I have to say, having an outdoor sink would be great. Was hoping for the larger Blackstone, but were out of stock when i purchased it. Actually haven't needed more grill space, so I'm very happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.target.com/p/char-broil-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW, thanks Jasin1 for the help with the TPMS. I ordered it a few mins ago and it will be here tomorrow.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
vampress_me

We took the outdoor kitchen out of our Cougar. Replaced it when we sold it though. But, for us, it was better used for hubby’s fly fishing gear. We use our Camp Chef for any outdoor cooking, so the kitchen was useless.

Plus, if the site isn’t level, I could not reach it. I’m 5’-6” tall, and there have been some unlevel sites we’ve camped at where the countertop of the kitchen was almost at my chin height. After the last time of that, removed the pull-out kitchen portion.

Our current camper does not have an outdoor kitchen and haven’t missed it except for the convenience of storing DH’s fishing gear there.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:33 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

If cooking is done outside, it is over charcoal and I am the cook. I don't want an outside kitchen as I would probably be on permanent KP duty, much like my vaunted military career. hehehe Never had an outside kitchen nor any desire to have one.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
Balvar24

We have a very simple one (two small burners and a fridge) and use it in some capacity for every meal we cook. It's one of the few extras our Passport had that I wouldn't want to be without.

I could make it without the fridge, but the outdoor cooktop is handy. Anything with much smell/grease gets cooked on it and then cleaned up. The oven/stove inside heats a small camper up a good bit too.

When we're out, I like to have bacon every morning. Cooking it outdoors doesn't stink up the trailer (yes, I use the hood indoors). At supper time, we sometimes have the indoor and outdoor cook tops running to get things ready in a hurry.

When I want coffee by the campfire at night, I bring the percolator outside and cook it there.

There is a little bit of outdoor storage above the cooktop where I keep all my campfire utensils.

It's easy/quick to stow and all fits under the lower bunk with space left over inside for storage. The door seals like any other compartment on the trailer. Never had a problem with getting the trailer dirty/greasy.

We also carry a Weber Smoky Joe.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #16
sierraman68

Our rig came with a small outdoor kitchen, just a grill/stove, mini refrigerator, and a bit of storage. I immediately replaced the crappy OEM grill with a 2 burner Camp Chef stove and after the first season removed the mini refrigerator (now my beer refrigerator in my garage). The small mini refrigerator only ran on 110AC, so it was worthless when we were dry camping. By removing the fridge, I created a bit more storage and now have a dedicated spot to store the propane firepit. We do most of our cooking outdoor so between the Camp Chef stove and a small propane Weber BBQ most all our cooking needs are met. Bottom line, I like the convenience of the outdoor kitchen and it works for us.

Terry
Old 04-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #17
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraman68 View Post
Our rig came with a small outdoor kitchen, just a grill/stove, mini refrigerator, and a bit of storage. I immediately replaced the crappy OEM grill with a 2 burner Camp Chef stove and after the first season removed the mini refrigerator (now my beer refrigerator in my garage). The small mini refrigerator only ran on 110AC, so it was worthless when we were dry camping. By removing the fridge, I created a bit more storage and now have a dedicated spot to store the propane firepit. We do most of our cooking outdoor so between the Camp Chef stove and a small propane Weber BBQ most all our cooking needs are met. Bottom line, I like the convenience of the outdoor kitchen and it works for us.

Terry
Got a model or link on that Camp Chef?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #18
sierraman68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Got a model or link on that Camp Chef?
Camp Chef Ranger II 2-Burner Stove

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/camp...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 04-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #19
linux3

Guess we are kinda low rent.
I also have a Char-Broil grill and I buy propane cylinders when on sale (often).
I like being able to set the grill where ever is convenient and unless it's raining really hard not under the awning.

I don't spend a lot of time cleaning the grill. They are cheap and replaceable.

Just got back from a month in FL, we rent a condo. We take the grill because h'burgers and pork chops taste best while grilling with a beer in hand.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #20
Tom-67X

Had one on my last trailer, and since we mostly boondock, I rarely got to take advantage of the little cube "beer fridge" properly, so it stored my whiskey and cigars. I prefer cold ones out of an ice chest anyway, so no big loss there.

As for the stove, I did use it a few times- to heat water in my kettle for some instant coffee- which does not at all bother me! At least I was "making coffee outside" which admittedly was a nice way to spend a morning and burn a breakfast stogie.

My new trailer doesn't even have the gas stub, but I'll use a Camp Chef Versa single as I already have other Camp Chef items that will go right on it- pizza oven, grill. I think I'll be just fine!

Long story short...I don't feel a great loss or love for the outdoor kitchen- many comments above resonate. Ambivalence is bliss?
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote