Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
LJD3

Westward via US2, US30 and US36

Hello, all. Can anyone comment on the speed or condition/speeds of US20, 30 and 36 west of the Mississippi?

I haven't really found good info on the topic of travel speeds on interstates vs. state/us highways. We are planning a cross country trip with my older teens from Northern Virginia to Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons during June/July 2022. Driving an F350 CCSB towing a 37' Keystone TT. All of the mapping apps force travel on interstates vs. US highways and state roads, even when interstates are somewhat longer distances. Even RV Trip Wizard seems to do this when I set it to use my average overland speed (55 mph). If I set to avoid highways, it bypasses even the US roads.

I have to believe that some of the more scenic routes are similar trip times, perhaps even shorter, when I consider that I'll drive a max of about 65mph on an interstate. Many times the US highways are shorter distances than the interstates. I'm particularly thinking of US 30 across Iowa and Nebraska, as well as US 20 across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska and US36 in Kansas. I've done interstate xc drives 4x, so I'd rather make the trip a little nicer. The reality is that I have 3 weeks to take the family out west, and we're not really looking for a midwestern vacation (no offense!) so some good westward progress is necessary.Thanks!
LJD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
notanlines

What you will be receiving in this post is solely my opinion. Hopefully others will chime in also.
You and your family have a total of 21 days to make this trip successful. I would be inclined to ignore the states between northern Virginia and Rapid City, South Dakota. They can be reached from your home in a short period of time.
You have 1600 miles ahead of you to make Rapid City. Simply make your way to I-90 and ball the jack for three days. You simply cannot make this in two days traveling at a reasonable rate and keep the peace. Three days out and three days home leaves you 15 days of vacation time. Travelling the back roads through the mid-west will gain no points with your children, believe me. I agree that it is kind of fun (interesting) to stop and see places like the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD or Wall Drug in Wall, SD. Better that you should double up your time visiting Wall Drug (about a 6 on a 1 to 10) along with Badlands National Park. Don't expect much from the Badlands....way over-rated.
You also need to keep in mind that Yellowstone is another 400 miles (a full day) from Rapid City.
You take a terrific risk of spending 80% of your vacation on the road and losing 'Dad' points with your kids. Maybe try to explain the travel problems to them right now and get some ideas from them.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would agree with Jim. Decided to take a 17 day trip one year from NM to Yellowstone, SD and points/places in between with 2 older teens. Bad decision....very bad. All those "cool" spots and things we kicked around to see only bored the kids and by the time we got to where I (we) really wanted to go in Yellowstone and SD both kids had had enough. Trying to go, do and see with 2 teens that don't want to be there is a REAL pita - absolutely nothing was enjoyable and everything was a hassle. On day 10 after I'd had enough of that I said to heck with it (not exact wording), loaded every one/thing up then hit the road back to NM (2 days). I was WAY PO'd, DW was PO'd at me but......the kids were happy! Spent my last 5 days kicking around at the house telling myself that would NEVER happen again.....and it didn't.

Get on to the things the kids are interested in seeing. They will most assuredly get bored and, as in my case, if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend back home things can sure go down the tubes quick if you don't keep that in mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
BigBobIa

In Iowa US 20 is 4lane across the whole state. So same as i80 south if it is i90 north.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I'd agree with Jim. Let's say you average 50 mph. That will require some hard driving to average that with stops. That's 30+ hrs of driving/riding each way. So after a 10+ hr day on the road (no sightseeing, just "hualing butt" to get there) a stop to make dinner, set up beds, then repeate early the next morning can be exhaustive. A lot of that trip will be boring to a teen (and many adults) and cell/ internet service challenging.

My intention isn't to rain on your parade but rather just some food for thought. My DW and I love jothing more than to hitch up, pick a direction and go but we're retired. When our girls trips over a day's drive were done via the airlines and a car from Hertz waiting at the destination. At the very least I would gather the family together and talk it over so everyone knows what to expect.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
LJD3

Thanks for the advice so far - much appreciated. I average about 55 over long distances, confirmed by our last trip down the blue ridge on I81 to TN.

We get bored in one location too long so will probably get out there quick, then plan on camping in only a few spots. Spend some time in the black hills and then maybe camp in the bighorns for a couple days on way to Yellowstone. I have reservations at Rafter J in hill city and Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. I’ve been to Devils Tower and I remember it being cool for a couple hours tops, unless you’re a rock climber.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
K_N_L

Having run from VA to SD a few times, if you make the general Rapid City area a first stop, there is enough to see and do around there that will keep the kids interested. As noted its a day run from there to Yellowstone and about a day from Yellowstone to the Jackson hole/ Tetons area. Lots to see. Expect crowds and traffic around Yellowstone. Neat area but its gets very busy. There's no way to shorten the 1600's miles out to Rapid City. From Jackson / Teton area you're a 4 day run back home. My suggestion would be run hard out and break up the return with a couple of "Americana" stops on the way back via a more southern path across Nebraska, Iowa etc.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
dutchmensport

You have to decide, is your trip about the journey, or about the destination.

When the kids were still little and traveled with us, it seemed it was always about the destination. So, no matter what it took, we got "there" the fastest, shortest way possible.

When the kids no longer traveled with us, because they grew up, it has since been about the "journey". We have a destination spot, the farthest distance we will travel from our home, but everything in-between is equally as important. When you get older, and the kids are gone, you can travel that way. And ... we love it that way now!

When the son and grandson travel with us (which they do sometimes), we have to revert back to "the destination" mind set. We (my wife and I) NEVER enjoy those trips now. But we do it for the "kids."
Old 12-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
notanlines

Dutch, " We (my wife and I) NEVER enjoy those trips now. But we do it for the "kids."
Kudos to you. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and do what we have to. Remember, you're not required to smile, but you are required to foot the bill AND lie about how much fun y'all had. It's part of getting old gracefully I guess.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
LJD3

Thanks to everyone so far. It sounds like US20 is a good alternative to 90 across Iowa. It’s actually shorter mileage so may even be faster than 90. Still considering part of US30 back, and may use it to stop in Chicago on the way back to break up the trip. (Not using I10 or I20, if there was any confusion).
Old 01-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #11
rsthomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3 View Post
Hello, all. Can anyone comment on the speed or condition/speeds of US20, 30 and 36 west of the Mississippi?

I haven't really found good info on the topic of travel speeds on interstates vs. state/us highways. We are planning a cross country trip with my older teens from Northern Virginia to Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons during June/July 2022. Driving an F350 CCSB towing a 37' Keystone TT. All of the mapping apps force travel on interstates vs. US highways and state roads, even when interstates are somewhat longer distances. Even RV Trip Wizard seems to do this when I set it to use my average overland speed (55 mph). If I set to avoid highways, it bypasses even the US roads.

I have to believe that some of the more scenic routes are similar trip times, perhaps even shorter, when I consider that I'll drive a max of about 65mph on an interstate. Many times the US highways are shorter distances than the interstates. I'm particularly thinking of US 30 across Iowa and Nebraska, as well as US 20 across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska and US36 in Kansas. I've done interstate xc drives 4x, so I'd rather make the trip a little nicer. The reality is that I have 3 weeks to take the family out west, and we're not really looking for a midwestern vacation (no offense!) so some good westward progress is necessary.Thanks!

This comment is probably too late for LKD3 but we took a LONG trip to Yellowstone, Tetons, and Mt Rushmore when our oldest sons were mid teens, and it was almost too late. I think that by 12 they've almost lost interest. We had a good, fast and furious trip, and they think of it fondly, but that was the last one. BTW, Wall Drug was interesting, but never again.
rsthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsthomis View Post
This comment is probably too late for LKD3 but we took a LONG trip to Yellowstone, Tetons, and Mt Rushmore when our oldest sons were mid teens, and it was almost too late. I think that by 12 they've almost lost interest. We had a good, fast and furious trip, and they think of it fondly, but that was the last one. BTW, Wall Drug was interesting, but never again.
We stopped at Wall drug years ago in November. Walked into a Sturgis souvenir shop and the owner was trying to unload that years glasses. Ended up buying a case of pilsner glasses for $5 and a case of mugs for $6. Guess what many of our friends got for Christmas that year!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:14 AM   #13
LJD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsthomis View Post
Thank you! We're flying the college student out for the meaty parts for a week. Looks like we will be diverting to US20 through IA and some of NE on the way out since it appears it won't cost us time, and will allow us to see some family history. We're fortunate that the kids really enjoy camping in the RV and being outdoors in general, and often ask us for a camping trip for their birthday (even at 18). Hopefully this won't "cure" them of that.