Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 04:58 AM   #41
Bill-2020

Obviously you got more details in one call than I got in two calls and two emails. They had better not want a picture of my old regulator- it went to the scrap heap. Besides, they knew it was installed at the factory and now deemed as potentially dangerous.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #42
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
When I called they asked for my purchase invoice, a picture of the old regulator and date code and a picture of the new regulator installed.
Maybe call back and ask again. I just got off the phone with Denise at Keystone CS and was given same info as Bill-2020. I need to email her the receipt for new regulator and pic of new device installed. She did mention getting the 'serial number' in the pic of the new regulator. Don't know if they actually have one, and she didn't have any further info on this. I'm thinking it may be the stamping with model # etc.

In any event, I was told no need to provide any info on the old regulator, which is good, as mine is in the scrap heap as well.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #43
NH_Bulldog

The rep I spoke with said that not all regulators were subject to the recall, even if the brand and model was the same. This is why they asked for the info off my old one. Mine has been determined to be subject to the recall and their safety/technical team has approved my claim to be processed for reimbursement.

Because of what I do for a living, chain of custody and preservation of evidence is a standard procedure for me. In this case, it appears to have expedited the process.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #44
Jon Herrick

Yes I did, both sides were venting!
Jon Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #45
Bill-2020

Quote:
The rep I spoke with said that not all regulators were subject to the recall, even if the brand and model was the same. This is why they asked for the info off my old one. Mine has been determined to be subject to the recall and their safety/technical team has approved my claim to be processed for reimbursement.

Because of what I do for a living, chain of custody and preservation of evidence is a standard procedure for me. In this case, it appears to have expedited the process.
I received an email this morning approving my claim. They are now requiring I fill out and return a W-9 before they reimburse the $60 I paid. I’m not a fan of this move. Did they require you to submit a W-9?
Old 11-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #46
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I received an email this morning approving my claim. They are now requiring I fill out and return a W-9 before they reimburse the $60 I paid. I’m not a fan of this move. Did they require you to submit a W-9?
Still waiting on my final disposition with the propane regulator but I had to submit a W-9 for a contested warranty repair that was initially denied. After the denial I ended up paying for the work but was later reimbursed after I re-submitted with additional info. Probably SOP.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Keystone has required a W-9 for reimbursement for at least the last 10 years. It's not a "new for this recall" or "something only you are being asked to do"..

Here's the Keystone FAQ explaning it:

Why do I have to fill out a W-9 form for a reimbursement?

As a subsidiary of Thor Industries (a publicly traded company), Keystone RV Company is guided by a number of Thor policies. One of those is how our company documents outgoing payments. While our company's payment to you may or may not be a taxable event, it is our policy to have a Federal Identification Number for every payee, which we collect via the W-9 form. This helps us make sure our books stay in compliance. Note: By providing this information, it does not automatically indicate that any payment you receive from Keystone would be subject to Income Tax, however, Keystone cannot provide you with any tax advice so we would recommend you discuss your specific situation with your tax professional to determine your tax liability, if any, as a result any payments from Keystone RV Company.

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #48
NH_Bulldog

I preemptively sent a W9 with all my documents in the original email to them with my receipts and photos so technically they didn’t ask me for one.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #49
Bill-2020

John, I understand why they are required to have a W-9, I’m just not a fan of handing my personal information out to another company. I’ve been through enough with one company who was hacked and I (along with many others) had to take aggressive defensive actions against identity theft. I’m not going through that again (yes, all three bureaus are now frozen). But $60 isn’t worth it, to me anyway. YMMV.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #50
mikec557

Quote:
John, I understand why they are required to have a W-9, I’m just not a fan of handing my personal information out to another company. I’ve been through enough with one company who was hacked and I (along with many others) had to take aggressive defensive actions against identity theft. I’m not going through that again (yes, all three bureaus are now frozen). But $60 isn’t worth it, to me anyway. YMMV.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Well said. Couldn't agree more.
Certainly a personal choice. My intent was NOT to open a "personal opinion discussion about personal secuity concerns" but rather to provide the "rules for reimbursement" imposed by Keystone. Whether you, me, the masses or nobody agrees with their rule, it is, for the most part, either provide the information so their parent company THOR can (in their words) "make sure our books stay in compliance" or not get reimbursed.

To me, it's much the same as showing an ID to get on an airplane. My ID has "personal information" and when Delta or United "scans it for the flight manifest" that information is "available to hackers"... So is my credit card information when I walk through the scanners at WalMart or Lowe's.... or, to go even further, when I cashed the Mobil One rebate check at my credit union, Mobil Oil Company, "instantly" had access to my name, address, credit union account number and can, from that, if they get "hacked" all my data is available, just from cashing a rebate check worth $7.

I took the time to provide what Keystone's requirement is and "why" they say they need it. What you choose to do with that information, like the information they require, is "personal"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #52
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Certainly a personal choice. My intent was NOT to open a "personal opinion discussion about personal secuity concerns" but rather to provide the "rules for reimbursement" imposed by Keystone. Whether you, me, the masses or nobody agrees with their rule, it is, for the most part, either provide the information so their parent company THOR can (in their words) "make sure our books stay in compliance" or not get reimbursed.

To me, it's much the same as showing an ID to get on an airplane. My ID has "personal information" and when Delta or United "scans it for the flight manifest" that information is "available to hackers"... So is my credit card information when I walk through the scanners at WalMart or Lowe's.... or, to go even further, when I cashed the Mobil One rebate check at my credit union, Mobil Oil Company, "instantly" had access to my name, address, credit union account number and can, from that, if they get "hacked" all my data is available, just from cashing a rebate check worth $7.

I took the time to provide what Keystone's requirement is and "why" they say they need it. What you choose to do with that information, like the information they require, is "personal"...
JR, thanks for taking the time to dig up the info. And I do understand their need for the info. Life is all about choices. I was only expressing my thoughts. I try to do a cost/benefit or risk/reward analysis when I can, and then decide what's in my best interest.

I once stayed 10 extra days at my in-laws house waiting on a dometic fridge circuit board warranty replacement. We'd already been there too long. Later I learned I could have bought a Dinosaur replacement board for $120 and been on my way. I didn't know enough back then. If faced with the same circumstances today, my cost/benefit analysis would have said: overnight that purchase asap and forego the warranty. Just an example of real life circs and cost/benefit analysis. LOL
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #53
German Shepherd Guy

With all that said I have just decided to eat the cost of my new regulator. Mainly because I am just too lazy to fill out and mail the information. ( What's wrong with this guy?)

BUT, I need some advice. When I replace the regulator do I need to put some kind of dope on the threads?
Can I use plumbers tape? Is there some special kind of dope, and if so what do I ask for at the hardware store?

I know to spray it down with soapy water after the fact and check for leaks. I have never had to do much in the way of gas plumbing.
Thanks in advance,

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a difference in teflon tapes that are used for thread sealant purposes. White is for smaller "non-flammable" threads (water, sewage, etc) Pink is for larger "non-flammable threads, Yellow is for flammable threads (propane, natural gas, etc and green is for oxygen systems. You can buy a roll of yellow teflon tape at any hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot.

Personally, I prefer using "pipe dope" on propane threads. I use RectorSeal #5. It comes in a 1 ounce yellow tube for $3.50-$4 at Lowe's or HD. A tube will probably last you a "lifetime" or at least until the cap breaks and the paste dries out.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RECTORSEAL 5.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	37250   Click image for larger version

Name:	GAS TEFLON TAPE.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	37251  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #55
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
With all that said I have just decided to eat the cost of my new regulator. Mainly because I am just too lazy to fill out and mail the information. ( What's wrong with this guy?)

BUT, I need some advice. When I replace the regulator do I need to put some kind of dope on the threads?
Can I use plumbers tape? Is there some special kind of dope, and if so what do I ask for at the hardware store?

I know to spray it down with soapy water after the fact and check for leaks. I have never had to do much in the way of gas plumbing.
Thanks in advance,

Oak
Pipe dope, typically teflon paste that lists gas on the label. Or a couple of wraps of teflone tape specific for gas. Gas Teflon tape is typically yellow in golor to differentiate it from standsrd tspe.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #56
NH_Bulldog

I used the RectorSeal paste.

As for the W9, as others have said, it’s a personal choice. I think there is a general false sense of security out there as to how secure anyone’s information is at any given moment in time.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I used the RectorSeal paste.

As for the W9, as others have said, it’s a personal choice. I think there is a general false sense of security out there as to how secure anyone’s information is at any given moment in time.
Totally agree with your comments about personal security. Thinking about the recent trials in both Wisconsin and Georgia, anyone who viewed the video's presented during the trial would realize that if "anyone" could identify a 17 year old in a crowd during a riot or identify and monitor 3 adults in a pickup truck from "recordings that were random and coincendental".... Hmmmm

Or to think that when you park in the WalMart parking lot and get out of your car, that the "monitor on the light pole" somehow is missing you, but recording everything else that happens in the parking lot.....

Or maybe how "surprising it is" that when you walk through the front door of Hobby Lobby or the local Ford dealership" that suddenly you get a text with that store's current sale..... Or to somehow think that same information isn't immediately relayed to Google, Facebook, AT&T or Verizon for their "future use".....

Even if you turn your phone off and try to hide from the "monitors", as soon as you put your credit card in the payment slot at a truck stop, or pay for lunch at McD's or reserve a campsite for tomorrow night, that somehow, all those "computers connected via the internet" aren't sharing where you are, what you just ate, how much gas you bought and how long it's been since the last fill-up and where you're planning to sleep tomorrow night....

There's "precious little privacy" any more, even when inside your home... Think about it for a second, Neilson doesn't call to get "TV share ratings"... They already know what you're watching without having to ask.....

No need to get "paranoid about it"... They promise that they're not violating our privacy for "nefarious reasons" but rather to "improve our lives to make them more convenient for us".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2021, 05:36 AM   #58
German Shepherd Guy

Thanks John, Marshall, & Rob. My Regulator arrived on Wednesday and will go to town and pick it up today.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 11-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #59
German Shepherd Guy

Job done!

BUT, as in almost every job I do there was more to it.

The recalled regulator uses 1/4 " straight fittings from the regulator where the hose's attach to the Acme fitting. The Camco two stage I bought of course uses "inverted flare" fittings. The hoses I had would not fit. A trip back to town (3/4 hour) to our hardware store. We are a small town but have a great hardware store. They had two hoses with the inverted flare. Really, I was so happy to not have to deal with Amazon. Back to the farm. The bracket that holds the two stage regulator had a different hole pattern for attaching the regulator than my Camco.

To the shop where I spotted and drilled four new holes.
Back to the barn and finally got everything put together.

What I figured as a 1 hour job max turned into an all morning into the afternoon affair.

But thanks to you guys it is done and leak free.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 11-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #60
LHaven

We have an Ace in town where the proprietor seems to have a special jones for plumbing. If you need an adapter for anything to anything else, he'll have it in stock. He was able to find me flare to straight adapters for my gas pigtails in about three seconds. A lot cheaper than new pigtails if your old ones are in good condition.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, recall