Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #21
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
I just found information that the IN·Command system can be programmed to start generator if batteries hit 11.8v for 3 minutes, and run for an hour. Is that actually enough voltage to start the generator?
I apologize for questions, trying to use time trailer sits idle in barn to figure things out!
Will likely carry my old portable generator for first few OTG outings just in case anyway.

Yes, It is enough. Assuming the generator is working well and its not a super cold start
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I just found information that the IN·Command system can be programmed to start generator if batteries hit 11.8v for 3 minutes, and run for an hour. Is that actually enough voltage to start the generator?
I apologize for questions, trying to use time trailer sits idle in barn to figure things out!
Will likely carry my old portable generator for first few OTG outings just in case anyway.
As long as you have the tow vehicle and jumper cables, there's no "critical need" for portable generator. With jumper cables that are long enough to reach from the tow vehicle battery to the generator battery, you can always "get going in an emergency"....

So, if the "old portable generator" is a hassle to load, you do have an alternative...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #23
redfieldz

GFI outlet loop question

I have a 2020 Fuzion 419. Looks like I have the same wiring as you. You said you took the wires off of the GFI Breaker in the Power center. Are you saying it is still getting power to the GFI loop?

I am confused as to how it would still be getting power. I turned off the GFI breaker and checked and all the outlets had no power.

I am getting ready to do similar to what you did. I am removing the GFI and Redecpt breaker wires and move them to a separate 2 panel breaker. The breaker will connect to a Transfer switch that will get power on the generator side from Recpt breaker where I removed the wires and the inverter will feed the other side of the Transfer switch. This way it will automatically switch from inverter to shore when it has power.

Thanks for you post, it is has helped me figure out how I wanted to do mine!
redfieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:34 AM   #24
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfieldz View Post
I have a 2020 Fuzion 419. Looks like I have the same wiring as you. You said you took the wires off of the GFI Breaker in the Power center. Are you saying it is still getting power to the GFI loop?

I am confused as to how it would still be getting power. I turned off the GFI breaker and checked and all the outlets had no power.

I am getting ready to do similar to what you did. I am removing the GFI and Redecpt breaker wires and move them to a separate 2 panel breaker. The breaker will connect to a Transfer switch that will get power on the generator side from Recpt breaker where I removed the wires and the inverter will feed the other side of the Transfer switch. This way it will automatically switch from inverter to shore when it has power.

Thanks for you post, it is has helped me figure out how I wanted to do mine!

The reason I still have power to the GFCI circuit after removing it from the main bus is that I tied the circuit into the existing hot inverted wire that powered the inverted kitchen receptacle. As I have a pass through inverter the outlets are all powered when plugged into shore power or running off the generator.

As noted though, the actual GFCI receptacle in the garage bathroom backfeeds to the converter and with this setup you will create a loop unless you remove that wire from the receptacle.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #25
redfieldz

Understand now, I will be fine just taking the one romex wire off the GFI breaker in the converter and moving it to a new breaker. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:40 AM   #26
Essvar

Quote:
Understand now, I will be fine just taking the one romex wire off the GFI breaker in the converter and moving it to a new breaker. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yup, you should be just fine with your current plan.

Enjoy, having a good solar setup is a game changer for boondocking.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:11 PM   #27
MikesKeystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
If anyone is interested I figured I'd finish my inverter/converter saga As established previously the prewired outlets in this unit comes in from the converter and out to the outlets.
This thread is terrific, Essvar. Thanks!!

I have a 2021 Passport that's been running with a Renogy 2000W inverter and an auto transfer switch tied into lthe inverter loop. The inverter started intermittently faulting a few weeks ago and indicated a problem with the AC outlets, and it eventually faulted indicating possibly indicating a short circuit.

To troubleshoot, I bypassed the inverter by undoing the inverter loop connections to the transfer switch and re-connecting the loop as it originally came from the dealer. When I plugged the trailer into my house, on a normal 15 amp circuit, and flip on one of the breakers in the trailer's panel (the 5th one down in the attached photo which powers the inverter loop), the breaker in my HOUSE trips, presumably because there's already load on that circuit, so that 15 amp breaker is overloaded first.

So, I'm going on the assumption that I have a short circuit or a ground fault somewhere in the inverter loop's circuit, and I'm beginning to map out the branches in the circuit to find it. Along the way, I'm replacing all of the outlets with proper house outlets with terminal screws and old work boxes.

My question for you is, how does your inverter loop get power from the converter while bypassing the breaker box? Am I reading you right, because doesn't the converter supply 12v power by converting the 110v shore power? And if the inverter loop bypasses the breaker box, how is the loop hot? Where would the circuit get power from if you didn't have an inverter installed?

Of course, my trailer will be wired differently than your 5th wheel. I'm hoping to get some background before I dive into mapping mine. Any tips would be appreciated!!
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #28
MikesKeystone

Here's the photo referenced
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230912_205745.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	45187  
Old 09-25-2023, 03:07 PM   #29
redfieldz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesKeystone View Post
This thread is terrific, Essvar. Thanks!!

I have a 2021 Passport that's been running with a Renogy 2000W inverter and an auto transfer switch tied into lthe inverter loop. The inverter started intermittently faulting a few weeks ago and indicated a problem with the AC outlets, and it eventually faulted indicating possibly indicating a short circuit.

To troubleshoot, I bypassed the inverter by undoing the inverter loop connections to the transfer switch and re-connecting the loop as it originally came from the dealer. When I plugged the trailer into my house, on a normal 15 amp circuit, and flip on one of the breakers in the trailer's panel (the 5th one down in the attached photo which powers the inverter loop), the breaker in my HOUSE trips, presumably because there's already load on that circuit, so that 15 amp breaker is overloaded first.

So, I'm going on the assumption that I have a short circuit or a ground fault somewhere in the inverter loop's circuit, and I'm beginning to map out the branches in the circuit to find it. Along the way, I'm replacing all of the outlets with proper house outlets with terminal screws and old work boxes.

My question for you is, how does your inverter loop get power from the converter while bypassing the breaker box? Am I reading you right, because doesn't the converter supply 12v power by converting the 110v shore power? And if the inverter loop bypasses the breaker box, how is the loop hot? Where would the circuit get power from if you didn't have an inverter installed?

Of course, my trailer will be wired differently than your 5th wheel. I'm hoping to get some background before I dive into mapping mine. Any tips would be appreciated!!
Are you using your inverter as the transfer switch? I installed a new transfer switch that i connected my inverter, shore power and output to my AC outlets.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #30
MikesKeystone

Quote:
Are you using your inverter as the transfer switch? I installed a new transfer switch that i connected my inverter, shore power and output to my AC outlets.
I was, but I bypassed it until the problem is solved.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:57 PM   #31
MikesKeystone

If this helps anyone who comes across the post, this is what happened:

The problem turned out the be the wire inside the wall between two outlets. It was shorting to ground (the aluminum frame). Opening up the wall and ceiling was a big ordeal, so we ran a new wire inside a wire channel and then inside the wall near the two outlets. Problem solved.

The short was discovered by process of elimination. Once the branches of the circuit were idenitified and the problem isolated, the wire itself did not have a short or an open, so the last thing to test was a short to the frame (continuity between one of the wires...in this case hot....and the frame).
Old 10-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #32
356Raptor

Quote:
Yes that’s true!
While camping in late fall my propane/12v heater apparently brought the Batteries down to 11.8
The generator kicked on for an hour or so…
356Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, inverter, solar