Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #21
byrdr1

I would just like to say:
Thanks for keeping this thread civil and on topic. Thanks to the moderators for their input also.
I also responded to this thread to the OP offline(IM).
thanks you all,
randy
OH yeah camping season is here:
Spring has sprung! only 22 last night with ice/snow/freezing mix this weekend.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmssorrell View Post
I can't take care of business like I use too. Going on 60 years old, I carry a 45.

Mark
Hmmmmmm 60 and 45, that makes 105, I'm 66 and 357, so that's 423. Wasn't there a commercial a while back asking, "What's your number?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
davidjsimons

I can tell you the intruders number, 86.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Part 2: Here in Oregon if travelers become victims of crime it is MOSTLY by theft of property that goes missing during the night. The coast and metro area has the most crime, rural areas not so much. It may or may not be better or worse than other parts of the US. Cell phones likely prevent, catch, help solve crimes more than anything else.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
chuck&gail

Over 200,000 miles in USA and Canada so far. No troubles yet. We do stay in campgrounds, and only rarely near big cities.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
Old 03-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #26
richf28

We have traveled twice around the country by motorcycle with a camper in tow behind it. In fact I have rode through the lower 48. We always stayed in reputable campgrounds and called ahead for a site. That avoids any unexpected surprises. I hope to one day travel around again with our camper.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #27
davidjsimons

You can't be too careful and get lost in a comfort zone. When I travel, I am very aware of what's going on around me and where I am. If I stop for fuel and decide to eat lunch in the trailer, I park where I am some what visible to others and lock my entry doors while I'm inside. The same applies for rest areas. I only overnight park in a reputable campground, it is worth the few dollars for security. With all of that in mind, one never expects to be a victim of a random act of violence. Put in that situation, I want to have the ability to defend my family. I will ventilate you.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
Drew Waller

Ccw

I've had my CCW permit from day one. The only person who will ever know if I have it on me is a bonified, certified law enforcement offical, if he ask! I've always had some instrument of protection with me. Not always a firearm. You may ask what am I afraid of, and my reply will be "NOTHING". I'm an old farm boy who grew up with Dad's loaded shotgun next to the front door back in the 50's. He protected our farm animals, equipment, land, and family with it. I saw him use it one time on a fox around the Hen House. It was always there behind the mop and broom in that corner. if needed!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
Randy_K

Has anyone looked into bullet proof glass and armor plating for their camper,, you know , just in case ?

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

My Grandmother and Grandfather never locked their front door. They had a resturant in Osyka, MS and locked the front door to it with an old skeleton key, then put the key on the transom over the door. Everyone in town knew this and I don't believe they ever lost anything to a breakin. My parents locked their front door, and always made sure the valuables were fairly well secured. I don't remember them ever having a breakin.

We lived in an upscale gated neighborhood in Pineville, LA. While at work, I got a call from the security company that my alarm system had activated and the police were at my home, I needed to meet them there. The back door had been kicked in and all the drawers in the master bedroom had been thrown on the floor in a quick search of the house. My wife's jewelery and our valuables were locked in a safe. Only a few dollars in change from my dresser was missing. Fortunately, we had locked the doors and set the security system. When the alarm went off, the robbers knew they only had a few minutes before the police arrived. They weren't given the luxury of a prolonged time in our house. Now, we wouldn't consider leaving home for even a short shopping trip without setting the security system. Times have changed dramatically since my grandparents and parents lived with the security of knowing they were safe from harm.
If you've never been robbed, you can't imagine the feeling of being violated like that. For months, no for years afterward, we wondered who was in the yard, when they would kick in the door again, what would happen if we were home at the time. Prior to that, I hadn't kept a loaded firearm ready in my home. Since then, I'm prepared for the next time. We live too far from the "protection" of law enforcement. If we should happen to dial 911 in an emergency, it would be at least 20 minutes for help to arrive. My family deserves immediately available protection from harm. When we camp, we are almost always even further from that "protection".

My brother in law who lives around the corner, about a quarter mile away, has "pet chickens" and he is always shooting a coon, a fox, a coyote, a stray dog who wanders into his coop. Last summer, they were sitting in their living room, a bear rambled up, peered in the window, the only thing between them and that bear was an open window with a screen. He reached over to the table beside his recliner and with piston in hand, yelled at the bear. It fled, but if it hadn't, he was prepared. Almost everyone around these parts is prepared for an emergency, should it occur.

Hopefully just knowing that some of us (but not which ones of us) are prepared is enough of a deterant that most criminals will continue to choose not to take the risk in any of the homes or campgrounds around here, even the ones that aren't "homeowner protected".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Around here, people ask, "What are those silver flakes in that bear poop?" We always tell them, "That's pepper spray containers" LOL
I'm not worried about bears tho, it's the other two legged creatures
Old 03-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #32
antiqfreq

We did carry a firearm with us when we were traveling fulltime. And sometimes (if I remember) I bring it with us on the local camping outings.

As it was mentioned before - if you have never been assaulted, or robbed or violated in some way by someone then maybe you don't understand the need to be armed.

I have been mugged outside a shopping mall.
I have had a man try to crawl through my bedroom window.
I have had 3 young men try to break in my Florida room when I
was single and lived alone and had to call the police. All the while
armed with my gun on the phone with 911 telling them I WILL
shoot if they enter my house.
One time I was broke down on an interstate and a man stopped to
see if I needed help. His idea of help was that I 'needed' to get in
his car. Luckily a trooper pulled up beside me and asked if I needed
help and if I knew the man and I said "I don't know him and please stay
with me." He did, and called for help for me (pre-cell phone days).

So, with ALL that said - I carry a firearm !

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #33
Drew Waller

Our Buddy

ZeusClick image for larger version

Name:	Zeus on his couch.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2633This is our early warning system! He has never failed.......and he loves to go camping!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #34
KanTC

That's one handsome burglar alarm

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #35
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Waller View Post
ZeusAttachment 2633This is our early warning system! He has never failed.......and he loves to go camping!
Now that's a sweet system

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #36
hankpage
Site Team

When I lived with my parents our home was robbed twice. Even as a child it was one of the most traumatic things that can happen to a person. (or at least in the top five) I do understand why many people do not believe in firearms but I also believe that you should be prepared to protect yourself and your loved ones. (personal property can be replaced) Pepper spray that is available to the public is not very affective on people or large animals and is considered a concealed weapon in some areas. However, I have never found a place where baseball bats or wasp and hornet spray are illegal. Most wasp sprays have a range of up to 30 feet.(also considered the effective range of a hand gun in a self protection situation) Pepper spray will wash off quickly ... wasp spray in the face and you will need a hospital.
My home and my rv are my Castles and I will protect my family with every means necessary while in them.
Sooooo, Unless I was traveling north of the border (where I would respect there countries laws) I do keep a firearm in my home and my trailer when we travel (locked in a safe when not home) and pray I never need it. There are too many desperate people out there and I cannot ignore what I see on the news every day and say "It can't happen to me."
I do think that camping is one of the safest ways of family recreation and hope you all will enjoy it for many years and travel safely. As usual JM2˘, Hank
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
mikell

Some of the local cops revealed that they sometimes camp in Wal Mart with their personal RV's when they hear of an issue. Women cops that happen to have pink handcufs. Just imagine being detained with pink handcufs.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Some of the local cops revealed that they sometimes camp in Wal Mart with their personal RV's when they hear of an issue. Women cops that happen to have pink handcufs. Just imagine being detained with pink handcufs.
The pink handcuff detainment is a matter of discussion in another group. Lol!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #39
Ken / Claudia

This site has real good information from everyone. Without haveing a firearm you still have many items in your RV to defend yourself and none would ever be illegal to have. Besides baseball bats, golf cubs, wasp spray think about the kitchen items in drawers that are easy to get to.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #40
ewkearns

Reciprocity is a mess. Here is a little help to stay legal:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
Closed Thread