Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
John Shaw

Dangers from assault or robbery while on the road

Recently talked to someone that used to full time RV. He is also an avid 2nd amendment supporter. We will shortly start out on a two month cross country trip. He is a little concerned about the dangers from assault and robbery happening to us while on the road. He stated Louisana used to be infamous for this. How realistic are his concerns today?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
KJcachers

Stay in reputable campgrounds and you should be fine. Also, from the pro 2nd amendment comment make sure you understand the laws in all the states you are traveling if you plan on being armed. Just because you have a concealed carry permit in one state doesn't mean it is valid in others.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

I AM WITH YOU but can't carry outside of state of ct. if i go to ny or mass i'll end up in jail no resiprosity. but i have a big dog with a good bark(she is gentel) and a loud recording of my 45 being racked. i have used that once when someone knocked on the camper door at 2am yelling hay it's me! once he heard that i saw him running down the road! enjoy your trip
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
camper 2010

We have spent the last 2.5 years full timing. We have spent several weeks in BLM areas camping in remote areas and even camped on the beaches of Mexico. Over this time I have never had any trouble. We are now on our way to Organ Pipe for two months. Now something may happen tonight or at any time, but I refuse to live my life worrying about what may happen. Just stay away from all the big cities and enjoy life.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Do your homework and find out which states have reciprocity wit yours. I don't go to states that don't allow me to carry.Truck stops, roadside parks, rest stops, you don't know who is there or what their intentions are.

Also check on the Castle Doctrine for the places you are going. Many states have passed this and it considers your vehicle a part of your home and you are allowed to have a firearm on you or in your truck provided you don't step outside in it.
You can also carry concealed in the National Parks in states that have recognize your state's CCW laws. It doesn't take much to be safe. I only carry a .45 because no one makes .46.

Actually unless I was going to a state that really gets stupid about it,like New York, Kakifornia, or Illinois, I would have one in the camper anyway. Unless there's an incident no one is going to look for a firearm, and if there is, I would rather be able to explain it to 12 people rather be carried away in a body bag.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Randy_K

I cant understand why people feel the need to carry a gun. Never have , never will. You wont find many Canadians that will think they need to be armed. We have slept at rest areas , truck stops and in tents in several States. If we ever felt like we needed a gun we would not go. Perhaps we just see the good in people a bit too much.

Perhaps some may be offended by my thoughts, i just don't like the idea of a gun fight on vacation.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
geo

The only problem I have heard or read on a forum was at a city-owned RV park in Gainesville, TX next to I-35. A long-term camper had his vehicle stolen. Of course, this gentleman assisted in the theft by leavng his keys in the ignition.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

When we travel from state to state or province to province, I sit down beforehand and find out as much information as I can about any private RV campgrounds we plan on staying at.

I have found rvparkreviews to be an excellent source of information about both private and public campgrounds. Like any campground reviews, you will find ratings all over the place but at least they provide me with some idea of what the park is like. If I see the words "seedy", "run-down", "filthy", or "noisy", I give those a miss.

The "chain store" campgrounds like KOA, 1000 Trails and other "members only" CG's are usually quite safe and secure. The same can be said with State parks. It is comforting to see the Ranger or police drive by on their regular patrol of the park.

You can always take a drive through a campground and get a sense of whether or not you would feel safe and secure while there. If you don't like what you see or feel ill at ease, drive out and find another place.

Once you leave the campground and venture into a new, strange city or town, then you need to be aware of your surroundings and be vigilant. No need to go into all the precautions you should take - you already know what they are- and what steps you need to take to ensure your safety.

Camper 2010 perhaps said it best that you can't spend all of your time worrying about things that you have no control over. Do the best you can and enjoy life.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Members ---

Please, let's not turn this thread into a discussion or debate about firearms, the 2nd Amendment or other political issues relating to guns. If you want to discuss those, there are other, more appropriate forums available on the Internet.

John Shaw, the OP, was asking how realistic, in today's world, are the dangers of assault and robbery happening while on the road. Should we be concerned about being mugged and robbed while camping? That seemed to be the focus of his question IMO.

Thank you.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We regularly camp in remote campgrounds in the upper penninsulia of Michigan. Last year, we were camped in one that had 4 campsites, and we were the only campers there. My wife and I went to bed about 9, awakened by a crash outside the camper about 1AM. It wasn't directly outside our camper, but still unnerving. I started peeking out windows and finally saw a HUGE black bear and 2 cubs in a trash can at one of the adjacent campsites. We were "alone" so to speak, nobody within 3 or 4 miles to my knowledge. If there hadn't been enough "goodies" in that trash barrel and the next one down the road, might those bears headed to the sweet smell of food in our trailer? Who knows....

Just last year, a "camera hunter" was mauled by a female black bear about a mile from our house. He had stopped to eat KFC on the way to the woods. He was sitting in his tree stand and that hungry bear climbed faster than he expected. The sweet smell of fried chicken on his clothing was all it took to entice an otherwise wary animal into wanting some of that..... and his camera was little protection from that hungry bear. Stupid camera hunter? Yup, but still a wonderful situation to have had some protection if you're going to be vulnerable.

It's not always the 2 legged "vermin" you need to watch out for, and having the right tools to equalize the playing field is a comforting feeling. I hunt, and I seldom travel into places like the above without hunting tools. To me, needing protection isn't always about vile people who take advantage, but often simply about not being vulnerable when enjoying our great "outback"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
raytronx

Further away from cities the safer I feel. So far in two years traveling the only incident was a gas can stolen from the back of the pick up. That's over 150 campsites all over North America.

The most dangerous thing about traveling is the highways and freeways, that's most likely where you would get hurt, not some intruder or robber.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
davidjsimons

I lived on a boat off and on for a while. For the most part marinas are similar to campgrounds. I never had any issues but a .357magnum was always under my pillow. Maritime law is much different than land law. Maritime law gives the Captain of the vessel much more ability to protect ones self. If you think you're safer with it, carry it. If you don't think you will need it, then choose accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
halfprice

I carry all the time. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and be dead!!!!

I carry a 38 but usually bring the Glock 40 also on trips.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
f6bits

I had a passing thought about storing a secured shotgun in the trailer, but it seems that state and national parks don't allow them. And that's where I'd most likely be boondocking.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
labs4life

If you go through IL, be very aware of the gun laws in this state. They are very different and not reciprocate laws!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Yak

Bear spray or pepper spray for me
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
fla-gypsy

The dangers are as real as it would be anywhere you go. Most CG's are quite safe. I have only needed my weapon one time in a remote NFS site I was riding through and some vagabonds/squatters semed to be up to no good. They decided to let me pass after I laid my hardware on the dash of the truck. I was leaving with either them standing or on the ground, it was their choice, they chose wisely and I exited without incident.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Bear spray or pepper spray for me
Around here, people ask, "What are those silver flakes in that bear poop?" We always tell them, "That's pepper spray containers" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Protection ;This was taken care of in the US court years ago. All the rights and protections that you have in your home travel with you in the living area of your RV. Mostly this is used regarding self protection and firearms. I get timed out useing details but, know your rights in your home, there are still there in the RV living areas not TV or driving area of a motorhome.
I beleive in is generally safe to travel, I go armed everywhere when traveling not because I feel the need, I have the right as anyone in the RV. On my person beause I am allowed to as retired police.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #20
cmssorrell

I can't take care of business like I use too. Going on 60 years old, I carry a 45.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
Closed Thread