Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

Gas Vehicle Bans

Really instructive article on fall out from the gas vehicle bans in some states. Makes some comments regarding heavy duty trucks and semi trucks are mentioned as well...
https://campersmarts.com/will-the-ga...mpaign=9-20-22
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
jasin1

apparently they are bursting into flames in florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2E57CA0-5DCD-405D-BD73-3CEDB8E3FB52.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	41922   Click image for larger version

Name:	C264474C-0CD8-468A-8140-97AAF53CD90A.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	41923  
Old 10-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

It's just keeps getting better....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
notanlines

I'm curious what 'tons of EV's disabled' amounts to as opposed to 'tons of gas fired.' Lets see, tons of EV's could be as many as ......two? Is this the same official who said there were hundreds dead in Fort Myers alone?'
Who turns these numb-nuts lose with a mic?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #5
German Shepherd Guy

Seems like flooding of that magnitude will wipe out electric AND gas vehicles. After the massive flooding in Texas a couple years back the market was flooded (Pun intended) with Texas used vehicles in "immaculate condition" here in Colorado. Wonder why they were not marketed in Texas? Buyer beware was the order of the day. Apparent if it is an alternative form of locomotion some must find fault no matter what.

Dead is dead after flooding like that.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Seems like flooding of that magnitude will wipe out electric AND gas vehicles. After the massive flooding in Texas a couple years back the market was flooded (Pun intended) with Texas used vehicles in "immaculate condition" here in Colorado. Wonder why they were not marketed in Texas? Buyer beware was the order of the day. Apparent if it is an alternative form of locomotion some must find fault no matter what.

Dead is dead after flooding like that.
i will let the EV vehicle argument go and try not to post anymore about it because i see it is a touchy subject but i will say the difference between a gas vehicle that’s flooded and a EV is the gas vehicle will just sit there for eternity and slowly rust away…the EV might just catch on fire a week or a month later…really can’t compare the two

now i will try and get back to rv related topics…i tend to get caught up in the news of the day and some of it has nothing to do with this forum…my apologies

and for the record i have stated before i would like and will probably get a EV in the future for running local but also want to be able to keep my diesel truck without paying $15 a gallon for fuel
Old 10-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I think the point was the subsequent fire the EVs are causing. Gas, electric, diesel, jet engine, doesn't matter, they all are ruined after a substantial flood. It's the fire that's the issue. Now that EVs have been around a while there an increasing number of car fires invo.ving them. Most fire departments are doing some "catch up" training as those batteries are difficult to extinguish and require different techniques.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #8
bsmith0404

I wonder how many parts are salvageable on them. Yes all vehicles are pretty much ruined when they get flooded, but gas vehicles still have a lot of parts that can be salvaged and used without any problems. I know Tesla uses a lot of electronic stuff such as steer by wire. Makes me think there isn’t much that can be salvaged.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

A flooded gas vehicle does not put you and yours in danger, it's an inconvenience. An EV does. It's simply another one of the many facets of this form of travel. I might have one one day but it's about 2 miles to the grocery store and....I want to get back - the nearest charging station is 60 miles away and I hope "it" stays there.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #10
Camping family

Ev might be the future but not for me. Can’t see pulling a 5th wheel or pulling a 23 foot boat with a ev truck.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Watched a review of a Ford Lightning while trying to pull 3000 lbs. The distance was dismal and they had to stop the test. They had intended to pull a 6k load but said it make it far enough. They love the torque for the short while you have it.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:38 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I wonder how many parts are salvageable on them. Yes all vehicles are pretty much ruined when they get flooded, but gas vehicles still have a lot of parts that can be salvaged and used without any problems. I know Tesla uses a lot of electronic stuff such as steer by wire. Makes me think there isn’t much that can be salvaged.
I can't think of any parts that I'd want from any flooded vehicle, especially from one flooded in salt water. Just about everything is electronic and water doesn't play play well with those components. It doesn't bode well for the little bit of steel still used and is very corrosive on aluminum. JMHO
Old 10-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I can't think of any parts that I'd want from any flooded vehicle, especially from one flooded in salt water. Just about everything is electronic and water doesn't play play well with those components. It doesn't bode well for the little bit of steel still used and is very corrosive on aluminum. JMHO
I’d take an engine or rear end in a heartbeat. Those can be pulled apart cleaned up and new gaskets installed fairly cheap compared to trying to buy a new crate motor or rebuilding an engine these days. Rear ends are an easy cleanup, radiators, AC condensers, heck even a transmission would probably be ok with a flush and new fluid. You’d have to get it at the right price to make it worth while, but they’re still usable parts. If I could get a low mileage LS1 Z06 corvette engine for a good price, I wouldn’t think twice about it being flooded. You’ll drop $5k for one with over 100k miles, and a good low mileage one could run you over $10k. I have a friend that just dropped a valve in a $17k Z06 motor, i guarantee he’d be happy to find one. Sometimes you can find gems that insurance companies are dumping after a disaster like this.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:15 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
I’d take an engine or rear end in a heartbeat. Those can be pulled apart cleaned up and new gaskets installed fairly cheap compared to trying to buy a new crate motor or rebuilding an engine these days. Rear ends are an easy cleanup, radiators, AC condensers, heck even a transmission would probably be ok with a flush and new fluid. You’d have to get it at the right price to make it worth while, but they’re still usable parts. If I could get a low mileage LS1 Z06 corvette engine for a good price, I wouldn’t think twice about it being flooded. You’ll drop $5k for one with over 100k miles, and a good low mileage one could run you over $10k. I have a friend that just dropped a valve in a $17k Z06 motor, i guarantee he’d be happy to find one. Sometimes you can find gems that insurance companies are dumping after a disaster like this.
Two days ago my neighbor who was on vacation had a friends 23’ center console boat sink at the pier after four solid days of rain…friend never stopped to check on it and it wasn’t plugged in.( that’s why i don’t let friends keep their boat at my house)
Two mercury outboards underwater.. i put the guy in touch with a marine contractor i know and $4000 later they righted the boat and pumped it out.
i had to tell the guy DO NOT try and start or turn the motor over unless you pull the spark plugs or you will cause irreparable damage.
told him to take the boat to our local marina and have the engines flushed and lubricated and started …probably another $1000 at least.
engines are ok underwater for short periods of time in brackish water and longer in fresh water…it’s when you pull them out that the clock starts ticking on flushing and starting before corrosion sets in

When you ask to keep a boat tied up at a friends house your really asking “will you look after my boat during every windstorm, rain and adjust lines and check on the boat for me?”…at marinas people tend to have a greater personal responsibility for their boats
Old 10-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #15
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Two days ago my neighbor who was on vacation had a friends 23’ center console boat sink at the pier after four solid days of rain…friend never stopped to check on it and it wasn’t plugged in.( that’s why i don’t let friends keep their boat at my house)....

This person doesn't have a bilge pump? Not only should they have a pump but depending on the typical length of time it is left alone a small solar panel to charge the battery and a backup pump as the tenancy is that the pump, switch fails or gets clogged. I've owned a boat almost my entire life and have never had this happen. It has happened to people I know but in all cases it was a problem with the pump/battery from "never checked it this season" to got clogged with pine needles, etc
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
This person doesn't have a bilge pump? Not only should they have a pump but depending on the typical length of time it is left alone a small solar panel to charge the battery and a backup pump as the tenancy is that the pump, switch fails or gets clogged. I've owned a boat almost my entire life and have never had this happen. It has happened to people I know but in all cases it was a problem with the pump/battery from "never checked it this season" to got clogged with pine needles, etc
probably has at least two bilge pumps…the batteries went dead from pumping out Hurricane Ian remnants..
he didn’t have it plugged in to keep the batteries charged and didn’t bother to check on even though it was like a monsoon some of the time during that 4 days of steady steady rain

i have 8 total on my boat

i offered to right the boat and pump it out for him for free but he started talking about fuel spills and liability and said maybe he wanted a professional to do it..i was gonna use two come alongs to the pier pilings while the securing the opposite side (low side) to the neighbors pier piling on high tide and roll the boat back over then pull it into shallow water and wait for low tide and use my trash pump to pump it out..i’ve done it before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCDD6061-860C-42EE-90C7-3FC85BEF7724.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	41937  
Old 10-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #17
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
probably has at least two bilge pumps…the batteries went dead from pumping out Hurricane Ian remnants..
he didn’t have it plugged in to keep the batteries charged and didn’t bother to check on even though it was like a monsoon some of the time during that 4 days of steady steady rain

i have 8 total on my boat

i offered to right the boat and pump it out for him for free but he started talking about fuel spills and liability and said maybe he wanted a professional to do it..i was gonna use two come alongs to the pier pilings while the securing the opposite side (low side) to the neighbors pier piling on high tide and roll the boat back over then pull it into shallow water and wait for low tide and use my trash pump to pump it out..i’ve done it before but some people don’t trust experience and have know idea what “ just get it done” means

Expensive mistake, your solution to pump out certainly would work as long as you can get the gunwales a 1/2" above water and start a pump you'd be all set. I've found that even a small solar panel would maintain a good battery enough for this...but is that a shore power box on the dock? If yes, there really isn't an excuse.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:58 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Most engine blocks and transmissions are aluminum blocks these days on most fwd cars. Salt water flood from a slow moving storm, then maybe months before it hits a salvage yard, no thanks you can have them.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #19
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Most engine blocks and transmissions are aluminum blocks these days on most fwd cars. Salt water flood from a slow moving storm, then maybe months before it hits a salvage yard, no thanks you can have them.
The blocks are aluminum, but the cylinders are steel. I’ve dealt with many engines that have had water damage, even rusted and froze up. Nothing a little honing, polishing, or machine work can’t fix. The block itself doesn’t actually corrode that much. If it was that bad, there wouldn’t be any engines or transmissions left left after a few winters up north. It doesn’t bother me that it scares a lot of people off, great way to find a bargain on some hard to find engines. If it was your average run of the mill part with thousands of them in junk yards, sure, go with one that wasn’t flooded, but the hard to find stuff is a different story. Going back to my original comment, although some parts may not be desirable, there are still usable parts and some could be very sought after parts. I don’t think you’ll see anyone rushing out to pull parts off a flooded Tesla or Chevy Volt.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The blocks are aluminum, but the cylinders are steel. I’ve dealt with many engines that have had water damage, even rusted and froze up. Nothing a little honing, polishing, or machine work can’t fix. The block itself doesn’t actually corrode that much. If it was that bad, there wouldn’t be any engines or transmissions left left after a few winters up north. It doesn’t bother me that it scares a lot of people off, great way to find a bargain on some hard to find engines. If it was your average run of the mill part with thousands of them in junk yards, sure, go with one that wasn’t flooded, but the hard to find stuff is a different story. Going back to my original comment, although some parts may not be desirable, there are still usable parts and some could be very sought after parts. I don’t think you’ll see anyone rushing out to pull parts off a flooded Tesla or Chevy Volt.
Like I said, you can have them, I doubt that you'll have to stand in line to get any of those salt water "treasures".

Tags
gas