Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
Sue sue

Keystone Montana High Country

Give me your pros and cons on a Montana High Country
Sue sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Sue! Graham, TX....is PK still doing OK after the fires and stuff? Spent a lot of time in your town and the lake.

Pros and cons of the MHC are difficult without knowing your particulars; tow vehicle (weight), required RV size, spending ability etc. There are more expensive, heavier and nicer trailers than the MHC. I bought ours due to a mix of quality, weight and amenities offered for the buck. I limited myself by the tow vehicle I would have which then limited me to weight, which then limited me to size and "foo fahs". Reduction in those things then mean a reduction in pricing. For us the ours has been perfect given the parameters I set. It will be the same for you - your parameters, ie; requirements and ability, will determine if the MHC is right for you or not. Share a bit on what you're looking for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
dutchmensport

Sue_sue,

Welcome to the forums and glad you asked your question. I am on my 3rd Keystone camper. (actually 4, considering our first one was a Dutchmen, but that was before Thor Industries acquired Dutchmen). The second was a Keystone Springdale, the third an Outback, and the current one, a Montana High Country.

All have been good campers. The Springdale was the most trouble free (had it for 8 years). The Outback was great. It had a couple very minor things that needed attention, but mostly because of use and age. We had it 5 years. We've had the Montana High Country for 4 years now.

The first year of ownership of the Montana High Country was a disaster. I kept a journal and lots, and we had 88 issues that happened in the first year of ownership. Several of them were warranty issues I was not able or equipped to fix myself. The rest, I deal with myself. The second year of ownership (after getting everything fixed right) was 100% trouble free, except for things I messed up myself (like burned up water heater electric elements ... oh duh!)

We've had the camper for 4 years now, and it's been, pretty much a good camper. There have been some repairs, like broken cable slides (that I've since learned how to replace myself now), and scratches from tree branches! (oh yuck!)

We've done a lot of changes to ours also. We added a second awning on the back side (it has a rear door on the opposite side). We added the Furrion Observation Camera and side camera system. We added a washing machine and dryer. We've added lots of hooks, shelves, dividers, and supports in the cabinets. We've added supports in the closet to keep the cloths bar from collapsing (which happened 3 times), and added an outside shower on the front side of the camper. I've raised the electric jacks so they won't drag the ground any more, and installed a Bidet on the toilet.

All these additions came with a price! I figure we've put another 4 or 5 thousand dollars of changes or additions or improvements into the camper. But it is finally, truly set up for our (almost) full timing needs.

I suppose the greatest question you can ask is, "Would you purchase another Montana High Country, if you had a need for another camper?" And the is ... well .... I don't know. As far as making that decision, however, is NOT based on the quality of the camper. We selected our Montana High Country that we have because it had a specific floor plan we wanted. If this floor plan would have been available in another brand, we might have gone with a different brand. So, in the future, if we were to purchase another MHC, would we do it? The answer is "Maybe, if the floor plan is right."

I don't know if this help in your decision or not, but as far as the actual camper goes, we (my wife and I) are both extremely happy with ours right now! But, it did take additional investment and time to get it this way too. That's something to think about. Another thing, ours is completely paid for. We had a 15 year loan and had it paid in full in 3 years. And THAT is also a very important reason why we are willing to invest into this camper, keep it nice, keep it working in good order, and take care of it ... because we absolutely do not EVER want to finance another one.

Also... Check out the Montana Owners Forum. There's lots of good information there too. It's also sponsored by RV Life (same as this one). You can create a user ID an password the same as you use on this one too. Click here.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Pros- lower priced Montana. Has all the basics you need without going overboard on bells and whistles.

Full profile, drop frame 5th wheel. Creates a lot of storage with huge basement pass through.

Well insulated 4 season (technically they call them a 3 season coach, but depending inn where you live, could be 4 season. No RV is designed to make it through winters in norther WI, MN, ND. Some people make some modifications to make it work.

Cons- I haven’t sold them for over a year now so some things may have changed (I’m going off memory vs looking up info), but the HC did. not have frameless windows. Some people love them some hate them, I love the frameless windows.

Depending on size, either 4 or 6 point electric auto level. The auto level is a pro, but I prefer the 6 point hydraulic over the electric

Standard width rv, I’m parti to wide bodies.

There’s probably other things as well, but this is what I got off the top of my head right now. Some of these items are personal preference and may not be important to some people, but are a deal breaker for others.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If not worrying about if it "fits" an individual and just pure pro/con from myself;

A bargain for the money. Looked at many others including GD and regular Montanas. Drop frame provides lots of storage. Build quality is normal for any RV. As with all of them, you may get the "good" one or the one built on Friday. This one has been great for us. Darco under slides had a bit of fraying (which any trailer with darco will get) and Keystone agreed to cover the bottoms completely with uhmw - a big plus. We've not had another issue other than the switch on the water heater melted twice but that appears to be an issue with quality of the switch as this last one hasn't given a problem.

I don't like the newer interiors that want to go lighter yet I got tired of our old one with darker wood and dark blinds. We like this one much more - sort of in between. It came with the Road Armor suspension which is considered an upgraded suspension and drum brakes, which all trailers will have if you are comparing to a MHC. I upgraded axles, suspension (MorRyde/springs), shackles and added disc brakes after one year. Nothing wrong with the old ones, just wanted disc brakes and figured I would throw in the rest since I was doing it...it's not cheap but not required either. I also upgraded the OE Ranier tires before I ever saw it because I like Sailun and didn't want them. So;

Cons - not an expensive trailer with all the foo fahs I don't need nor the extra weight that entails. A little less nice interior compared to top end models (a little). It's the line right under the Montana so you don't get all the bling...or the weight or price. This one comes with 4 point electric auto level which I wanted. The larger ones come with 6 point and/or hydraulic if that is important. I added a 2nd
A/C (13.5k) and should have added a 15k although we've not had any cooling issues in direct sun up to 105. I think the new ones come with 2 15ks but would have to check.

Pros - other than those mentioned above not a moments trouble (co detector failed and replaced). Traveled across the country 4 times and all kinds of trips in between without issue in 2 1/2 years. We love the residential fridge and ice maker, large bathroom (floorplan) and ease of maintenance/lack of repairs. We have zero complaints.

Would I buy it again? Depends...on those things I mentioned in my first post. If I confine myself to the type of TV I have and won't change then this, IMO, is as good as it gets with that limitation. If I didn't care about what I had as a TV and went with a diesel dually 450 or something like that then I'd move up to a larger, fancier trailer (without in command) with full body paint and disc brakes as I have now. I don't see that happening as I don't want a diesel or dually so, bottom line, we're happy as kitten with a ball of twine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:36 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.

Tags
keystone, montana