Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
P & T

Sports and RV's?

I would imagine that there are some sports fans out there in RV land. Do any of you have a favorite team that you travel to their games for tailgates? What is parking like? College or pro?

Tailgating used to be big at Candlestick Park for 49'ers games in the 80's and 90's but then it kind of died off. The new 49'ers stadium has little to no tailgating allowed.

I'm considering a NASCAR trip (Daytona perhaps) or the Kentucky Derby in the next few years. Anyone else take their RV's to any fun events? Cost? Worth it?
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
notanlines

Peter, where NASCAR is concerned, hands down, Talladega is infinitely better to attend than Daytona. Camping is EVERYWHERE around the track, riding for your bike is EVERYWHERE, and the party is EVERYWHERE. Best I can say about Daytona is that there is a Hooters across from the main entrance.
We attended the fall race in Talladega 14 years in a row, mainly took customers for four day week-ends. Two Daytona's was enough.
Don't rule out 12 Hours of Sebring for a good event for a toy hauler and a good time. Nice area and four days of racing, serious racing. Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400 and camping in 'Area 5' can be quite the experience. Don't plan on sleeping much, though.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #3
P & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Peter, where NASCAR is concerned, hands down, Talladega is infinitely better to attend than Daytona. Camping is EVERYWHERE around the track, riding for your bike is EVERYWHERE, and the party is EVERYWHERE. Best I can say about Daytona is that there is a Hooters across from the main entrance.
We attended the fall race in Talladega 14 years in a row, mainly took customers for four day week-ends. Two Daytona's was enough.
Don't rule out 12 Hours of Sebring for a good event for a toy hauler and a good time. Nice area and four days of racing, serious racing. Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400 and camping in 'Area 5' can be quite the experience. Don't plan on sleeping much, though.
Thanks, I was looking at the Daytona packages but it did not look toyvhauler friendly. Talladega is one if my favorite races to watch (really I watch it for the crashes). Indy and Brickyard would be fantastic to experience as well.

I have access to Vegas but that camping is sub-par from what friends have told me.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
gearhead

We do a few races but they are long hauls from home. The wife likes Richmond so we have done a few of those. We had a water and 30amp site but the Lamdmark won’t fit so we dry camp there.
We have done Kansas and it’s just another 1.5 mile track.
Bristol is a fine race. Wife hates it because of the hill climbing.
Martinsville is another of our favorites.
It’s been awhile since we’ve done Texas. We may cut back on the long hauls to the east and just do Texas and Nashville.
We’ve done 2 Indy 500’s. If you go it can be hot. For me it was just a bucket list thing.
I obviously prefer short tracks. Never been to Daytona or Talledega, or plan on going. I don’t like to see wrecks there, or anywhere. Wrecks put the small teams in financial binds. I obviously don’t want to see anyone hurt which is a bigger risk at the super speedways.
I really like sprint cars on dirt. I just got back from the Knoxville Nationals in Iowa. Excellent racing for 4 days. The Chili Bowl in Tulsa is also excellent racing. Usually 300 midgets entered.
Camping….Martinsville is good as is Richmond. You will notice a big price difference in price between the NASCAR and SMI tracks.
I don’t intend to make anyone mad about seeing wrecks, I just don’t go to races for the wrecks.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
P & T

To clarify, I don't like wrecks (I dont want to see anyone injured or ruined, I have a heart). I'd rather just watch the close calls that are inevitable due to restrictors and the wrecks in the final laps when frustrations set in.

Good to know about heat at Indy.

I'd like to go to some college football tailgates in the South too.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by P & T View Post
To clarify, I don't like wrecks (I dont want to see anyone injured or ruined, I have a heart). I'd rather just watch the close calls that are inevitable due to restrictors and the wrecks in the final laps when frustrations set in.

Good to know about heat at Indy.

I'd like to go to some college football tailgates in the South too.
Yeah Indy can be terrible hot. Just out from turn 4 is a Premium lot with 50amp, water, and a dump station. They use big industrial generators for power. Get there early so you don’t get parked next to one. Pretty good entertainment sitting in lawn chairs next to the street watching the show. Basically the Midwest Mardi Gras.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote