Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Harbor Freight owner's manual for both the 2000 watt and the 3500 watt Predator inverter generators state that the parallel kit can ONLY be used with two generators of the same model/power output. You can not "parallel connect a 2000 with a 3500. You'll burn up the smaller generator (according to the owner's manual)....

If you're trying to connect a parallel kit to two "different brands" or two "different size" generators, you'll need to do some extensive research to make sure you don't destroy one or both of the generators... As an example, you can't use a Honda 3000 and a Champion 3200 with a Predator parallel kit. The "electronics" don't match and the weakest link will certainly go up in smoke.

Champion Power Equipment has a "parallel kit selection website" where you can enter the two Champion generator models by model number and the website will provide you the parallel kit needed to connect those two models.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-kit-selector/

As a "general rule" different brands aren't considered compatible for parallel connection, although there are "SOME" that are identical and will work. I wouldn't recommend "experimenting with a parallel kit and a couple of "orphan generators from different manufacturers" to try to get a compatible system to power an RV.... It might work for a few minutes in the driveway, but when you get 50 miles from the closest fire station, in a national forest and suddenly smell smoke and look up to find the smoke is coming from the trailer circuit breaker panel..... Who do you call ?????
Familiar with all of that, but thanks. I actually went with Westinghouse gens and their parallel kit. I don’t need one anymore, was just commenting about the Predator and some issues to consider. Your post added more info.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My point is to check actual availability of spares if needed in the future. If all those parts are truly available, not a problem. I have an old Campbell Hausfeld compressor and the original elecrical motor and original mechanical pump motor died many years ago and have been replaced. There are absolutely NO spares for the mechanical pump motor. You would think at least gaskets are available but not so I have to cut my own so I have grown distrustful of HF's repair parts availability.
Oh I agree George … I wasnt saying your info was wrong…I think it’s optimistic at best to think I could get all those parts. It’s just what they list to make the customer feel better I guess.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Oh I agree George … I wasnt saying your info was wrong…I think it’s optimistic at best to think I could get all those parts. It’s just what they list to make the customer feel better I guess.
Harbor Freight has a "bad habit" of buying the "support package" when they buy the "product package"... in other words, they'll buy 30,000 generators and an "anticipated spare parts inventory" to support that generator system... Unfortunately, they just don't backfill the spare parts when they sell them. When the parts are gone, there are no more... "Sorry, that part is no longer stocked".... And, to make matters worse, when it comes time to contract more generators, they seldom go with the same manufacturer or even the same model generator. Rather they "upgrade from Chicago brand to Predator brand and then to Titan brand.... Every one of them uses different parts, so even next year when they buy another "support package of spare parts", those parts won't be compatible with last year's generators....

Damned if you do and "double damned" if you don't ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

I've always considered HF stuff as disposable. When you buy a "big brand" whatever some of that premium cost pays for the replacement parts inventory. To my knowledge HF doesn't make most of their stuff. They are at the mercy of the mfg for replacement parts. Often discount sellers will spec a product and from the "casual observer" it may look identical to the "big brand" product. Problem is, that doesn't mean all the parts are interchangeable even though both may have been built by the same mfg.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've always considered HF stuff as disposable. When you buy a "big brand" whatever some of that premium cost pays for the replacement parts inventory. To my knowledge HF doesn't make most of their stuff. They are at the mercy of the mfg for replacement parts. Often discount sellers will spec a product and from the "casual observer" it may look identical to the "big brand" product. Problem is, that doesn't mean all the parts are interchangeable even though both may have been built by the same mfg.
It was the same with Sears "Ted Williams" outboard motors and with Montgomery Wards "Sea King" outboard motors. The latter, built by Chrysler, but Chrysler parts wouldn't fit many of the Sea King models..... Go to Wards for parts, pay double or buy a complete motor head from Chrysler for more than the price of a complete outboard motor from Wards.... BTDT.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #26
Life-in-Him

Have 2 predator 2000. Have used them extensively for 2+ yrs. Have several hundred hours on each & change/swap them out each time we change sites. Have what I'll call the duplexor kit but never used.
Bought 2 Incase 1 dies.
Put Stabil in each tank & bulk tank. Always started on 1 or 2 pulls after priming pull.
Consider HF as single source by $ for electric stuff. Mechanical stuff they replace just by bringing it in.

Stabil dies in the bottle if opened after a year or so. It changes color to dark brown or dark red & no longer transparent. Burn in the TV on Full tank.

Planned to convert Predator's to dual fuel but haven't done it yet.
Probably going to propane only since nonE fuel hard to find $.
Propane just jumped 10% here in AZ.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #27
SteMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yep I might need an intervention lol…hard to find ethanol free gas around me unless you buy in prepackaged 1 gallon cans..I use that for our Stihl weed eater and blower and chainsaws

I use stabil in the generator and only have maybe 6 hours on it..surprised it is getting gunked up so fast…ethanol is FANTASTIC
Pure Gas is an app that will show you where to
find ethanol free gas. I use all the time. I have a
snowmobile addiction and have used ethanol free gas in them for the last 10 or so years. Start up each winter is no longer a full days work.
SteMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:23 AM   #28
matthiewdjuric8

Hello everyone, can I still use these coupons? It's very nice of you to put coupons here so people can buy these products at a discount. I don't quite understand exactly how this discount works, so I would be glad if someone explained how it functions. Now I'm looking for some things for myself on the site https://www.truck1.eu//construction-...-a3575302.html, but unfortunately, what I need is not yet in their warehouse. Therefore, I wander the Internet searching for spare parts that I lack. So if someone wants to help me with advice or some other tips, I will be very glad
matthiewdjuric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:51 AM   #29
Texas Steve

They expired on 03/03/22
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:56 AM   #30
JBM3M

Anyone know of a remote start/stop for the 9500? Considering this over the Honda, but sound and bluetooth connectivity feel important to me. 10 db louder at full use.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:01 AM   #31
jasin1

personally i don’t click on links that show up with the first post…too much spam on the internet or virus sites
Old 07-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #32
wegone

I have 2 of these and use one, or both, with the parallel kit as needed.

Where I live we have frequent winter power failures.
These are light enough to move around, and easy to store.

I like them.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator