Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

liabilty?

If a member give incorrect or inaccurate technical advice and this advice results in damage or worse by an individual reading this advice and following this advice, does the forum or a member have any legal liability? Examples would be electrical and suspension/tires where dangerous information was offered and a forum member followed this advice and had damage or was harmed. Of course, the misleading advice was not given maliciously. Just curious.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If a member give incorrect or inaccurate technical advice and this advice results in damage or worse by an individual reading this advice and following this advice, does the forum or a member have any legal liability? Examples would be electrical and suspension/tires where dangerous information was offered and a forum member followed this advice and had damage or was harmed. Of course, the misleading advice was not given maliciously. Just curious.
I'm obviously not an attorney, so I'll just offer up an opinion. If you stopped to help me along side the road, and I told you...."Go jump off of a bridge", and the next bridge you came to, you stopped, got out of the car/truck/whatever....and jumped off the bridge and was injured or even drowned.....I'm not responsible for your actions as it was just some advice. Now, if you were clearly mentally challenged (you probably would be driving, but let's say you are) and I told you the same thing, there might be some liability......but again, I'm no attorney so my advice.....DON'T go jumping off of a bridge on me now!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not a lawyer either BUT....I did sleep at Holiday Inn Express once!

Any "advice" offered on this or any other forum is not "professional" advice that anyone is paying for. They are simply non professional opinions, generally solicited. I wouldn't see any way anyone would be held liable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
solv3nt

So, what did you blow up on your trailer?

2022 175BH

solv3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I'm no shark, I mean lawyer either but I don't know of many instances where a court awards damages to the aggrieved party because they lacked enough common sense not to vett a source on social media. I have no doubt that there are attorneys more than willing to take a case like that if they are using billable hours and not a percentage of settlement.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
jim1

What do you call a cruise ship full of lawyers and politicians (if theres any difference!) that sinks at sea with no survivors?

A good start
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

The Lord created devil before creating lawyers in order to get the process perfected. The reason I was curious is that there seems to be a spate of misinformation being conveyed lately. Seems kind of crazy but when a new member comes aboard, they have not yet likely discerned the sheep from the goats. Just take care folks when you are given advice as it sometimes is contrary to common sense. Pay attention to the few folks here that actually provide rational help for issues.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The reason I was curious is that there seems to be a spate of misinformation being conveyed lately. .
I don’t read every post on every thread, but I’m curious what makes you say that. I haven’t seen that and anytime I have seen it happen, people tend to correct them. That typically will lead to a discussion to bring out facts and supporting information so everyone understands. Are you seeing something different than that?
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
fjr vfr

"vett a source." For us old-timers I guess that means "check it out first"...lol
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
"vett a source." For us old-timers I guess that means "check it out first"...lol
I could have used ‘Voir Dire’, an old French for “to speak the truth" but that always seems counter-intuitive to me since speak the truth and lawyers ......

My favorite lawyer joke.

An engineer dies and goes to hell. He asks the devil if he can make some changes. The devil is hesitant at first but then thinks about and agrees. After all, it may be good for buisness. So the engineer goes to work. First he installs air conditioning. Then he installs some nice fountians and a bar.

As work progresses God notices the improvements and calls the devil. He tells the delving to send the engineer up to him so he can get some improvements. The devil of course refuses and this angers God. God calls again and says "If you don't send him up here immediately I'm getting an attorney and sue you! The devil began laughing uncontrollably and bellows "What's so funny!?" The devil replies "Your in heaven, where are you going to find an attorney?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Yep, "trust but verify". New folks to RV ownership many times are looking for all kinds of answers and solutions to problems they've never seen. They come to a place like this for help. Folks that have been around a long while have varying ideas on "solutions". Some go by the tried, true and regulated, others "wing it" because in their opinions their solution trumps established rules and criteria....trust but verify.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:36 PM   #12
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My favorite lawyer joke.

An engineer dies and goes to hell. He asks the devil if he can make some changes. The devil is hesitant at first but then thinks about and agrees. After all, it may be good for buisness. So the engineer goes to work. First he installs air conditioning. Then he installs some nice fountians and a bar.

As work progresses God notices the improvements and calls the devil. He tells the delving to send the engineer up to him so he can get some improvements. The devil of course refuses and this angers God. God calls again and says "If you don't send him up here immediately I'm getting an attorney and sue you! The devil began laughing uncontrollably and bellows "What's so funny!?" The devil replies "Your in heaven, where are you going to find an attorney?
That's pretty good.

My favorite enginner joke (as an engineer):

A doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer are golfing one afternoon, when they notice a group of four golfers playing very slowly in front of them. When they get back to the clubhouse, they ask the course pro who the slow moving golfers were. The course pro says "Those are four blind firefighters who lost their vision saving our course trophies in the clubhouse fire we had 5 years ago. As a token of appreciation, we let them play for free"

The attorney says "I will use my skills to create a tax-sheltered trust for their families.

The Doctor says "I will contact my world class Ophthalmologist friend and see if he can provide them with the new age treatment he is testing out to help the blind see."

The Engineer says "Why can't those guys play at night?"
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:09 AM   #13
fjr vfr

Like the jokes....lol

Btw; What's the difference between a prostitute and politician?
Answer, there's some things a prostitute won't do for money.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote