Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
jasin1

Rv friendly gps reason #1

you would think you could feel or hear the first hit…just happened in April..feel bad for the person but seems like they were programmed for “Full Send”
Old 05-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
wrvond

Guess he just figured he didn't need those parts as much as he needed under that bridge.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

That has to be the most recorded bridge in existence.

To me it demonstrates a few possibilities. .

First, there's this misconception among many drivers that if they miss their exit then they will proceed to the end of the earth and fall off.

Secondly, many folks with trailers would prefer damaging their rigs than be embarrassed by demonstrating how inept they are at backing up or admitting they made a mistake.

Third, some folks don't beleive the signs and think "They must have some safety margin in that number right?". "I mean after all I see speed limit signs all the time but who pays attention to those?"

Fourth, many folks don't know how tall (or wide) their rigs are. They don't realize it won't fit until the "Crunch alarm" goes off followed by the "oh crap" statement that never does work to rewind time for a do over chance.

Fith, some folks are just plain clueless. Those folks are typically followers of one or all of the above descriptors.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
you would think you could feel or hear the first hit…just happened in April..feel bad for the person but seems like they were programmed for “Full Send”
"OH great! We just fit!"......
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #5
wrvond

I think they were just happy their ladder and bicycles weren't knocked off!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That has to be the most recorded bridge in existence.

To me it demonstrates a few possibilities. .

First, there's this misconception among many drivers that if they miss their exit then they will proceed to the end of the earth and fall off.
Secondly, many folks with trailers would prefer damaging their rigs than be embarrassed by demonstrating how inept they are at backing up or admitting they made a mistake.

Third, some folks don't beleive the signs and think "They must have some safety margin in that number right?". "I mean after all I see speed limit signs all the time but who pays attention to those?"

Fourth, many folks don't know how tall (or wide) their rigs are. They don't realize it won't fit until the "Crunch alarm" goes off followed by the "oh crap" statement that never does work to rewind time for a do over chance.

Fith, some folks are just plain clueless. Those folks are typically followers of one or all of the above descriptors.
It is amazing that many just don’t want to stop and backup about 50’ to save all that damage!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:06 AM   #7
hawghauler

I'll be installing air conditioning systems and doing roof repairs to pay for diesel fuel this season

I use an app called hammer you can plug your height weight length in forr safe travel routes I believe it's geared to truckers but works for me and it's free
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Well, it looks like he only lost his maxxairs and tv antenna. Could have been much worse.

The first time i took my 5th wheel to Mexico I had one of those oh $hit moments when I got to the border coming back. Pulled up to the lanes and looked at all the clearance signs, every one of them said 12’6”. Customs agent pointed me to one of the lanes, I stopped and told him I don’t fit, it says 12’6” I’m 13’2”. He told me go ahead your fine, I asked for reassurance, he again said your fine. I’ve seen people down there with rigs as big as mine many times, I proceeded thinking I hope this guy knows what he’s talking about. There wasn’t any other way to get back across. Went through without a problem. I don’t know what the clearance really is. I’ve gone across many times since then, but still makes me nervous every time, even though I know I fit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote