Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
Lnhjones

Whats the Best RV Driving Directions App?

I am using the RVLife Pro app right now and it seems great but I am planning a trip from GA to Yellowstone N.P. (ID) in late June and trying to chart my path and find campsites to along the way, since it will take a few days to get there. I started out with regular old Mapquest which put me at about 1900 miles total, but gives no vehicle designation and I've already been bit by that dog once so... I signed up for the RVLife app to route the trip, but it's added another full day of driving and another 400 miles to the trip and a completely different route. As in, now it has me going way north and skipping MO, KS & NE all together. I am a bit confused. Are there no safe routes through the center of the country? Does anyone know of a great reliable tool for getting directions with a big rig?
Lnhjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
miconscrylog

I've used the same RVLife Pro App and it most often adds a significant amount of time to the route. I'm absolutely no expert like many of these other fellas, but I've found that using Google Maps as a cross-reference worked well.
miconscrylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
lonerider98

I also use RvLife pro and it is different then my phones google maps and also my Garmin rv785 gps. Must note the the Rvlife and Garmins rv785 take into account your size and weight of your unit to determine the best route to take!
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
Roper46

I also use the Garmin RV 785, love it.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:18 PM   #5
j.w.

I also use the Garmin RV 785. I do check it against Google maps just to make sure nothing outrageous shows up. No problems so far.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider98 View Post
I also use RvLife pro and it is different then my phones google maps and also my Garmin rv785 gps. Must note the the Rvlife and Garmins rv785 take into account your size and weight of your unit to determine the best route to take!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnhjones View Post
I am using the RVLife Pro app right now and it seems great but I am planning a trip from GA to Yellowstone N.P. (ID) in late June and trying to chart my path and find campsites to along the way, since it will take a few days to get there. I started out with regular old Mapquest which put me at about 1900 miles total, but gives no vehicle designation and I've already been bit by that dog once so... I signed up for the RVLife app to route the trip, but it's added another full day of driving and another 400 miles to the trip and a completely different route. As in, now it has me going way north and skipping MO, KS & NE all together. I am a bit confused. Are there no safe routes through the center of the country? Does anyone know of a great reliable tool for getting directions with a big rig?
Is this your first time towing a camper? Towing a camper, for most folks, is not the same as running for time not towing. Speeds should be lower and stops more frequent. An RV based routing may route differently to avoid LP restrictions, weight restrictions, height restrictions, etc. I also use a Garmin RV GPS and often use the RV Life App to plan trips on the computer then add them to the GPS. I wouldn't trust Mapquest but then again I don't like backing up a 1/2 mile or making a 3 point, or 6 point, or xxx point turn because I couldn't fit through.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:03 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

A bit off your question but I've found that realistically make about 50 miles in an hour of towing, and that is with me towing at 65 mph and making only one fuel stop and one bathroom stop.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:01 AM   #8
jxnbbl

+1 on the Garmin RV 785.

A few trips without this and we ended up in some hairy situations due to route selection. I'm going to use RVlife in addition to the normal planning routes this time as I want to test out the estimated gas (fuel in my case) stops. This is the only frustrating situation that we sometime find ourselves in....stopping with an easy in/out situation for fuel.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:02 AM   #9
travelin texans

Pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop. They have all of the roads suitable for trucks highlighted with low clearances & other warnings by state listed in the front of the atlas. If the road is suitable for trucks you will have no issues in any rv.
With this atlas, Google maps on our phones & the truck GPS we fulltimed for 10+ years without any issues. I planned to the route to our destination & found rv parks on rv campground reviews.com on Google maps, confirmed on the atlas & then set the truck GPS & away we went.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
Lnhjones

Looks like you can't get a new Garmin 785. The current model is 1090. Anyone have any feedback on that one?
Old 03-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
Lnhjones

Not our first time towing, but our first time towing a 5th wheel and we went from a 29' travel trailer to a 43' 5th wheel, so there's a learning curve to observe. I am just trying to plan the route and book campsites along the way and want to find the best navigator out there for the rig. I don't mind going slow and farther but I don't want to add unnecessary time or mileage to an already LONG trip. Ima look into the Garmin RV 785 and possibly the 1090. That looks like a good idea to compare notes. Thanks for all the input. We can't wait to get on the road!
Old 03-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
Looks like you can't get a new Garmin 785. The current model is 1090. Anyone have any feedback on that one?

It must have recently happened as I looked at them last month. Looking on ebay I think the 890 replaced it. I think it really depends on the size screen and they probably run the same software.

The 780 is available a camping world still (7")
the 890 is 8"
The 1090 is 10"
With escalating pricing.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The 780, 890 and 1090 are all still available, and on the same Garmin webpage. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/660527/pn/010-02227-00

You'll need to click on the specific size you want, 6.95", 8" or 10".

The RV 785 is also available here: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/660552/pn/010-02228-00

I'd be very concerned with buying a 10" GPS to try to stuff on a modern truck dash..... Even finding a place for a 4" TPMS receiver can be tricky with all the "neat things on dashes these days"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #14
Spletbr

Like many here I use multiple tools. Garmin RV is main, RV Life directions is secondary and my phone or car GPS tertiary. When there are major differences I may also consult the good old (truckers) road atlas. Then the DW and I try to make our best decision. The problem comes in when we differ....
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #15
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Like many here I use multiple tools. Garmin RV is main, RV Life directions is secondary and my phone or car GPS tertiary. When there are major differences I may also consult the good old (truckers) road atlas. Then the DW and I try to make our best decision. The problem comes in when we differ....
When my bride and I fail to agree I always go with her recommendation. I'd much rather have her be the one that's wrong than me!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #16
RVGator

Quote:
Not our first time towing, but our first time towing a 5th wheel and we went from a 29' travel trailer to a 43' 5th wheel, so there's a learning curve to observe. I am just trying to plan the route and book campsites along the way and want to find the best navigator out there for the rig. I don't mind going slow and farther but I don't want to add unnecessary time or mileage to an already LONG trip. Ima look into the Garmin RV 785 and possibly the 1090. That looks like a good idea to compare notes. Thanks for all the input. We can't wait to get on the road!

I use RVLife but also bounce it against google maps/Waze to see if it is routing us in an inefficient manner. Nice thing about rvlife is that you can drag the route or add waypoints to steer it the way you want to go and it will flag you on any low clearances. Using it to find campsites is great and overall planning is awesome.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:18 AM   #17
mjsibe

Trip plans

I use Good Sam's Trip planer & a Garmin 465 truck GPS.
Both allow you to set vehicle parameters.
Various way points ect
Works very well .
Used it for a cross country trip of the south west.& Grand Canyon.
Very happy with the results.
Avoiding all the low bridges, weight restrictions ect.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:23 AM   #18
hawghauler

I use an app on my phone called hammer it's geared to 18 wheelers but if they can go I can go so works for me she picks a landing zone I plug it in and roll along at 60 until the truck gets thirsty or she has to pee
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote