Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
HRM7!

Inspection checklist suitability for SL 219BH purchase on 3/15/'22 (next Tuesday)?

Hi - I'm new here but have towed a GeoPro 19BH TT for several years. I'll pick up a 2022 Passport SL 219BH at Windish RV in Loveland CO next Tuesday and would appreciate advice as to my pre-purchase inspection. I'll delay purchase if something serious shows up then. I've scheduled several hours to look it over prior to the one-hour official intro by their technician.

I'll attempt to attach the checklist I've developed for my inspection - if any of you have time to review and comment, especially concerning Passport-specific things to watch out for, I'd very much appreciate the help.

I'm OK with fixing the minor odds and ends that develop during trips (the GeoPro had several, including early brake drag fixed by a good tech at Windish, and an inverter I replaced twice with warranty-honored units from the manufacturer) - but it had no trip-stopper problems during about 20k miles over lots of the country. I'm hoping the Passport does as well. We just wanted a walkaround queen and bigger bunk beds for the gkids

I think our truck/trailer combo ought to be fine, based on lots of conversations about the truck (will use a 10K Equalizer hitch), but your thoughts on that are welcome too. We live along the Colorado Front range (just east of the mountains), so am hoping to have no issues pulling Vail Pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson slopes to 12k'. The truck pulled the GeoPro's 3300 lbs (dry) there easily. Pulling an extra 1300 lbs, 5' of length and a foot of extra width will take some adapating - I installed extended mirrors and will install a good rearview camera to help. I'll install a TPMS, but am looking forward to not worrying quite as much about a blowout given that I'll now have four tires back there.

-Thanks for any help you can provide. -Bob

2019 F150 crew cab w/3.5 ecoboost and max tow package
Attached Files
File Type: doc Inspection checklist.doc (33.5 KB, 138 views)
HRM7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
wrvond

1. Verify Solar Flex 400i vs. Solar Flex 200
2. Inspect roof and all seals
3. With battery disconnected, verify lights work - demonstrates solar functionality.

With battery connected:
1. operate tongue jack
2. close valves on propane cylinders and light stove. After stove goes out, open one cylinder and light stove. Close cylinder. After stove goes out open the other cylinder. Light stove.
3. Verify outdoor stove works.
4. Verify outdoor refer works (shore power only).
5. check all latches for easy close
6. check all doors for fit and gasket condition
7. operate extend/retract switches in wet bay
8. test pass thru lights
9. test operate awning and lights
10. looking at the 7-way connector with the key at 12 o'clock position there are two pins at the top (one on each side of the key) - you can plug a blade fuse into those two pins and it will power all the marker and tail lights so you can check they all work.
11. On shore power test all outlets, usb ports and lights. Test television and stereo. Ensure speakers work inside and outside.
You've already covered the water pump, water heater, air con, frig and such.
Good luck!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #3
HRM7!

Smile Passport inspection

Thanks - I've printed your list and will add it to mine - very much appreciated! -Bob
Old 03-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
HRM7!

Additional question, re tire-valve TPMS damage

I've seen a couple of notes about using the little valve-mounted TPMS sending units - some folks seem to have had trouble with the extra bit of weight flexing the valve stems and breaking them after awhile - instant flat! Is this a real problem, and if so has anyone come up with a fix? I used them on my GeoPro tires for three years with no trouble.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM7! View Post
I've seen a couple of notes about using the little valve-mounted TPMS sending units - some folks seem to have had trouble with the extra bit of weight flexing the valve stems and breaking them after awhile - instant flat! Is this a real problem, and if so has anyone come up with a fix? I used them on my GeoPro tires for three years with no trouble.

Thanks.
Many members swap out the rubber stems for metal ones. My brand's (Tireminder) sensors are really light and the manufacturer states they can be used on rubber stems but 'recommends' brass or stainless. Some other brands may require them.

I have yet to swap out....ticking time bomb? I hope not and next tire replacement I will go with metal.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #6
HRM7!

Thanks - That's helpful.

I'll take a look at my TPMS and report back - the sending units to be placed on the valve stems are very light too, but I don't recall the supplier saying anything about rubber vs. metal stems. I'll have four brand new tires on next week's new Passport -- It might be worth a trip to a tire store to have the stems replaced...
-Bob
Old 03-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

If you are using valve stem TPMS sensors and getting new tires...get the steel valve stems. My extremely lightweight TST 507 sensors don't require a steel valve stem per se so I went with rubber stems for a bit. You could see the marks (not bad) on the inside of the pretty aluminum rim so I knew that little cap was flopping all over. That was on high pressure stems for 80psi. Install the stems, preserve the tires, maintain your safety and....keep your rims pretty!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist