Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
mikell

Excitment

If you know the Mackinaw Bridge you know it,s always interesting in an RV. The other day we were headed north and there was a pretty good wind from the west. We were still on the approach when I noticed that someone headed south their tarp was loose and blowing pretty bad.

WELLLLL it wasn't a tarp it was their awning in pieces and it took both south bound lanes. The roller was up over the trailer and braces were hanging out the other side. The Sate police were 5-6 cars behind trying to catch up and I saw in the mirror they caught up in time for the first exit.

Did I mention the bridge was being painted so you had to switch lanes a couple of time as you cross.

Must have been exciting being anywhere near that woman but she was handling it well being they knew not to stop on the bridge.

I have one fair picture if someone PM's me I'll send the picture so you can crop and post it. I'm on the road so it might take a day were now on our way to Travers City and the Cherry festival.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Mikell,

Reading your post was almost like "de ja veau" We've seen the same thing a couple of times going across the Mac.

In fact, the first time we crossed it "south to north" with our new Cougar, we got caught by a big gust of wind that blew the entry door open. My guess is the gust caught the road side and entered the trailer around the slides???? That's only a guess, but with all the construction that's constantly on the bridge, we were unable to stop to close the door, so it stayed open narrowly missing those orange cones until we got to the toll station where my DW jumped out to close the door. We checked everything at the rest area just past the toll booths and no issues.

Since then, we fold the entry handle over the door rather than back along the trailer sidewall. Maybe a "false sense of security" but it might help if it ever happens again.

Enjoy the Cherry Festival, we will stay clear of TC until the crowds head home

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
mikell

Only in TC for the day then on to the dunes we are now in Manistee and alls quiet. Not sure of our next destination but at least the suns out this morning and it hasn't rained in 24 hours and thats a record.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It was 38 here this morning, I covered all the "damader" plants last night just in case, but no frost... YIPPEEE LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
crohill

We go up every year the week before cherry festival and stay the the State Park in Traverse City. It is usually the best week,,but this year ot was way crowded. I must say though...If any of you ever get a chance..stand on the west or east bay on the night of the 4th of July...IT IS FANTASTIC! I am not sure I would ever drag the camper across the Mac Bridge...it was creapy enough in a car.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
mikell

we were camping up there about 25 years ago when the barge of fireworks went off in the afternoon all at once. I don't think anyone was killed but it took out a building and boats if I recall.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
LuvsPalmTrees

I don't think I would want to take the TT over the bridge. We love to go up to Mackinaw but we stay in the mitten and drive over for the bridge for the day.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote