Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
the4grows

Suburban elite series oven blows fuses

When attempting to light the oven. We try to press in and turn the knob but it won’t turn. If we force it, it blows a fuse. Fuse is connected to A/C and other items in the kitchen.

2022 Fuzion 428
Never have used the oven but stove top works great.
the4grows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your A/C is 120VAC and should be on a breaker not a fuse. Does it have an interior light?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:19 AM   #3
the4grows

There is a light. All I know is we have replaced that fuse 3 times trying to force it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B66928A-4179-44A0-A409-7DE6293AD792.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	41688  
Old 09-22-2022, 04:05 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

First welcome to the forum.

You should never have to "force" something on. If something doesn't want to move you should investigate why. So you may have broken something inside but first a few questions....did it ever work previously or is this the first time using the oven? Does the oven have a standing pilot light that you manually lite or is it electronic?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:26 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It should have piezo lighting, and the oven light should be 12V.

If it’s blowing a fuse, try disconnecting the wires at the back. If it’s affecting the AC then it’s probably a ground issue since the AC is 120VAC and the range is 12VDC. Only common is the ground.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
the4grows

We could get it to ignite but when turned past on, we blew a fuse. We were afraid to force it past 300. We decided to see what would happen to force it. Turned it and lit the oven. When turned past On and the breaker blew. After it blew we forced it past 300. Something must have been inside because now it turns easily and isn’t blowing fuses. It’s working! We have never used it. It came this way to us new. Keystone said to take it to a dealer but they are backed up 4 months. Plus we are staying in it now.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
LHaven

The range and oven work entirely off propane and piezo... except for the oven light, assuming you have one, which would be 12v and therefore fused. That should be the only intersection of oven and fusebox. It's beginning to sound like you had some piece of physical detritus that somehow shorted the oven temperature knob to the light circuit. I might be able to arrange this with a shish-ka-bob skewer if I were very clever.

I'd take off the range cover and examine the behind-the-knobs area for smoke tracks.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4grows View Post
We could get it to ignite but when turned past on, we blew a fuse. We were afraid to force it past 300. We decided to see what would happen to force it. Turned it and lit the oven. When turned past On and the breaker blew. After it blew we forced it past 300. Something must have been inside because now it turns easily and isn’t blowing fuses. It’s working! We have never used it. It came this way to us new. Keystone said to take it to a dealer but they are backed up 4 months. Plus we are staying in it now.
I'm now more confused than ever.....

First, everything in the trailer that runs on 12 volts DC is protected by a fuse. Everything that runs on 120 volts AC is protected by a circuit breaker (not a fuse)..

The Furrion oven does not have 120 volts connected to it. The lights behind the knobs is 12 volts and in some ovens there is also an oven light that's 12 volts. Since there is no connection to the 120 volt system, it "logically is impossible" for the oven to trip a circuit breaker. I can understand the oven blowing a 12 volt fuse, many conditions could cause that to happen, but I don't understand how it's possible for the oven to blow a circuit breaker when there's no electrical connection to any of those components....

Are you using "fuse" and "circuit breaker" interchangeably ??? In Keystone trailers, fuses (in the power center) are ONLY used on the 12 VDC (battery/converter power) system/components and circuit breakers (in the power center) are ONLY used on the 120 VAC (shore power/generator power) are used on the 120 VAC system/components. There are a couple of "dual power components" in your trailer. The water heater uses 12VDC to control propane ignition and thermostat operation as well as 120VAC to control the electric element in the water heater. The refrigerator is similar, with 12VDC to control the gas function and thermistor function while the electric element is powered by 120VAC. So those two appliances could blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker, depending on what problem is occurring. But that can't happen with the Furrion range/cooktop, since there is no 120VAC connected to the appliance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
LHaven

I'm assuming he just interchanged the words fuse and breaker sloppily. But I am haunted by the fact that he claims the "fuse" is "connected to the A/C," which isn't a 12V item.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s why I asked in my first post about a light in the oven. OP stated it did, and at that point I said the only common link would be the ground.

Old 09-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm assuming he just interchanged the words fuse and breaker sloppily. But I am haunted by the fact that he claims the "fuse" is "connected to the A/C," which isn't a 12V item.
The only thing I can think might affect the air conditioner function from the 12 volt DC side is the In-Command system "IF" there's a connection between the thermostat (which is typically 12 volts) and the In-Command controls for the air conditioner... Otherwise, like you, I know of nothing that would affect the air conditioner, which is a 120 volt appliance. How the 12 volt DC oven can affect a 120 volt AC air conditioner is a mystery to me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #12
LHaven

ASA is fond of reminding me that the inCommand system doesn't actively control the HVAC, it just serves as a mirror to what the Dometic gateway box is set to do. Now, the gateway box has to be available to control the furnace when you are boondocking, so I'm assuming it has to be a 12V item, and blowing its fuse would affect both the furnace and the air conditioning.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse