Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Jean

Hello from Minnesota!

Looking for some advice on a new tow vehicle. Been camping all my life. Started in a pop up with my parents. Went all over the country. DH and I bought a Hybrid a couple years ago...too small and a pain in the butt to set up...moved up to a 2011 Keystone Passport. Love it but the old Ford is just worn out and no crew cab for the kids...and one big smelly dog
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
volvosweetie

to the forum. Congrats on moving up. The crew cab is important. I know that if you search on the form there is several discussions on just that might be able to find what you what to know and someone will most likely answer you. Good luck and happy camping

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
TAZ23

Welcome to the forum
In my opinion FWIW you cant go wrong with a crew cab. The extra cab room is great.(We moved up from a extended cab to a crew cab this spring and do not regret it.)
We looked at Fords,Dodges,and Chevys and they are all capable trucks.
If you have a vehicle preferance then go with that,or take your time and shop around to find what you really like. Just make sure that you get a big enough motor and the towing package.
Also if you are looking for a half ton PU check the payload sticker on the door of each pick up to make sure it is capable of hauling you and your family and the tt and gear.
Happy Camping
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ23 View Post
Welcome to the forum
In my opinion FWIW you cant go wrong with a crew cab. The extra cab room is great.(We moved up from a extended cab to a crew cab this spring and do not regret it.)
We looked at Fords,Dodges,and Chevys and they are all capable trucks.
If you have a vehicle preferance then go with that,or take your time and shop around to find what you really like. Just make sure that you get a big enough motor and the towing package.
Also if you are looking for a half ton PU check the payload sticker on the door of each pick up to make sure it is capable of hauling you and your family and the tt and gear.
Happy Camping
Ditto on everything except one. I wouldn't even look at a half ton. For me the payload stickers mean little. Sure, the sticker says it will haul whatever weight but does it mention how good it will haul it? I see soooo many half tons out there towing that is an accident waiting to happen. I better also throw in the disclaimer that there are many half tons out there that are suitably matched to a weight they can tow however if your looking for a new TV that you may have for years I would go with a 3/4 ton. Not sure which Passport you have but I might also look at going with a diesel. I love my Dodge but probably not any more than many love their Chevy, Ford or whatever.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Jean -
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

Note: Members wishing to offer advice re tow vehicle, may want to look at similar question posted by Jean in "Towing and Tow Vehicles" section of the forum.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

Welcome from Florida. Go ahead and get a 3/4 ton of your choice and be done with it.