Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
craigboley

How to Winterize 2021 Bullet

I have watched videos and read many articles/how-to's/manuals on how to winterize RV's of different types. However, I cannot seem to find ONE article/video on how to winterize a newer unit equipped with the Easy Winterizing components (Winterizing hose inlet and Winterize valve in the wet bay). My dealer wasn't very clear when the service advisor was doing the walk-around as to how the process worked so I figured I'd just Google/YouTube it like I did with pretty much everything else.

If anyone has any experience with the new winterization process on these rigs, please let me know. Freezing overnight temps are coming here in PA and I'd like to wrap this up soon. If nothing else, I may just use the old fashioned tried & true method of dumping antifreeze into the fresh water tank and using the water pump to blow it through the lines.

(also, FYI -- I've already drained the water heater, turned its bypass on, drained all the tanks and low point drains and blown compressed air at 30psi through the lines. I know some people say that's sufficient if you dump some antifreeze into each trap and toilet but I'm an overkill type of guy...better safe than sorry.)
craigboley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

DO NOT pour antifreeze into the fresh tank, You’ll never get it all out. Can you post a pic of your wet bay? Since we don’t winterize out here I will admit I don’t pay that much attention to the valve positions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
craigboley

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...7&d=1604057595
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AA93142-2463-496B-ADB8-6B834C3CDB4C.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	30578  
Old 10-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigboley View Post
You have asked about this 3 times and started 2 new posts on the same problem. In the future please refrain from doing this as it's confusing for readers trying to help or follow your progress.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #5
craigboley

Not a problem. Just frustrated that there seems to be no solution/help from my dealership, Keystone RV themselves or anyone else who has encountered this issue. I figured I'd post in different sections hoping someone would be familiar. I also thought about deleting my other post, but I couldn't seem to find that option. I apologize.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Not a problem. Just frustrated that there seems to be no solution/help from my dealership, Keystone RV themselves or anyone else who has encountered this issue. I figured I'd post in different sections hoping someone would be familiar. I also thought about deleting my other post, but I couldn't seem to find that option. I apologize.
You can delete a post by clicking on "edit", thenn"delete". If we see multiple posts before someone replies then typically a site team member will delete it and send a private message explaining why it was deleted.

The issue multiple posting in different areas is it can be confusing to anyone following a thread in hopes of finding a solution to the same or similar problem that they are having.

Be patient, I'm sure some advice will come along soon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok. Sorry for the late reply, I spent the day moving my tool boxes, I now work in a small independent repair shop about 1.5 miles from the house.

So from the picture you posted: get a hose and cut it so that it will attach to the “winterize” connection, and put the other end into the antifreeze container. Then turn the winterize lever to “ON”. Once you start the water pump it should pull from the antifreeze container. Since your water heater is already bypassed no need to turn those valves on the back side.

If you turn the winterize valve to “OFF” then turning on the water pump should pull water from the fresh tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I don't winterize either but I would add that I have read multiple posts that indicate you should keep the antifreeze jug about the same height or higher than the inlet for the hose to make it easier for the pump to pull in the antifreeze.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
bobkeown

Winterizing Your Keystone Camper

I put this presentation together in PowerPoint to store in the camper for future users, which included a couple of brief video clips embedded in it. Unfortunately I cannot upload a PPT file to this forum and had to convert this to PDF. Even without the video clips, this provides an easy, step by step pictorial process for winterizing your Keystone camper. It is especially helpful if you have a FloJet pump with those quick disconnects. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterize Your Trailer.pdf (1.96 MB, 1204 views)
bobkeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #10
spries26

Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar issue. The pump is not pulling the antifreeze from the jug even when I elevate it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
spries26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
craigboley

So as it turns out, the guys at the Keystone factory had the stickers labeled backwards. That’s right…exactly the opposite of how they should have been labeled. Hot Water Tank Bypass was reversed and the Winterize On/Off was also reversed. The dealer confirmed once I took it in. Thanks, Keystone. Almost destroyed the Hot Water tank. I took a Sharpie and “corrected” the issue on the stickers. Narrowly avoided disaster.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #12
spries26

So once you fixed the knobs, the water pump pulled the antifreeze from the jug?
spries26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spries26 View Post
So once you fixed the knobs, the water pump pulled the antifreeze from the jug?
If the water line is in the jug, I would turn the pump on with a cold faucet open. Then simply turn the valve handle, if it was backwards you’ll know it pretty fast.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #14
craigboley

Chuckster is right. Once I made the switch and followed the instructions, the pump worked fine and the job was done. The idea of holding the antifreeze jug higher or level with the port is a good idea as well. The pump works with it lower but there was a difference in flow by setting it up higher. I used a ladder and set it on one of the steps.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
DAcamper

Craig we have the same camper. Can you post a pic of what the valves look like relabeled. Curious to see if our u it is wrong also. We winterized today and after an hour of trying the way it’s supposed to work we did a work around because pump would never pull in the antifreeze. Would make sense if our was labeled wrong.
DAcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #16
craigboley

Traded

Hello All,

Unfortunately we had enough with the issues that arose with our '21 Bullet. We ended up getting more on trade than what we owed at the time and got a 'decent' deal for today's market on a '21 Keystone Cougar 364BHL Fifth Wheel. We have yet to take it out but we like it so far. We loved the Bullet and it served us well for 20+ outings but one thing after another pushed us over the edge. Some things we come to expect and can fix & overlook. But when you treat something like gold and it doesn't reciprocate, you have to wonder if you bought a rotten lemon. First the master toilet had a faulty connection from the factory where someone didn't screw the nut on properly...it was stripped and honestly not something I would expect to check on a brand new unit. Filled our underbelly up with water and likely damaged some of the subfloor. Second, the label issue with the hot water bypass and winterizing knobs. Confirmed from the dealer that the stickers were applied backwards. This could've ended in disaster had I attempted to use the valves as they were labeled. I literally took a Sharpie and reversed the On and Off's on the labels themselves. They work as they should if you use them now. Pathetic..again, another oversight at the manufacturer. Not much going on with quality control there. Then, the hot water tank outgoing hose blew off under the back bunk bed. Luckily I could hear it and it didn't flood too much...maybe 30 seconds of water. Dealer took a look and said it was a missing a clamp. Again, something I'll look for now, but something I SHOULD NOT have to look for coming on a brand new unit.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hello All,

Unfortunately we had enough with the issues that arose with our '21 Bullet. We ended up getting more on trade than what we owed at the time and got a 'decent' deal for today's market on a '21 Keystone Cougar 364BHL Fifth Wheel. We have yet to take it out but we like it so far. ...
Congratulations on the new Cougar fifth wheel. If you're towing it with the same 3/4 ton truck, you might want to cruise by a CAT scale to get a updated truck/trailer weight. That trailer is a bunkhouse, 2 bathroom trailer with a GVWR of 14,000 and a "potential pin weight in excess of 3000 pounds. Add a family and a heavy sliding hitch and you're looking at being critically overloaded on any 3/4 ton diesel truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Congratulations on the new Cougar fifth wheel. If you're towing it with the same 3/4 ton truck, you might want to cruise by a CAT scale to get a updated truck/trailer weight. That trailer is a bunkhouse, 2 bathroom trailer with a GVWR of 14,000 and a "potential pin weight in excess of 3000 pounds. Add a family and a heavy sliding hitch and you're looking at being critically overloaded on any 3/4 ton diesel truck.
Just to be clear, John's not saying your Ram will have a difficult time "towing" that BH, it'll "tow" it all day & never breathe hard, but it may be overloaded "carrying" the weight of that BH along with everyone & everything in the truck safely within the weight limits of a 3/4 ton truck, thereby opening you up to legal issues if an accident occurs or eventually causing mechanical issues with the truck being overloaded.
Once you've weighed the combination you'll know where you are actually with the weights, what you do from that point is up to you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #19
flash25296

I have a Bullet 211 BHSWE and the control panel for water has always frustrated me. I contacted the dealer and manufacturer about the valves not appearing to be working according to the stickers installed. The Keystone kept saying contact your dealer and the dealer was saying to contact Keystone. Finally I got a district sales guy on the phone and sent him a picture and he said Yep looks correct. Turns out its not and seems others here have confirmed as well. So frustrating. How the heck am I supposed to know if something is installed properly. I don't build trailers nor have I previously owned one. If this kind of mistake was on a vehicle there would be a TSB notice to all dealers.

Also I have another issue that I can't solve and that is how to fill the fresh water tank to full. My spec sheet says 43 gallons and I can only fill to 22 gallons. I metered the water going in and coming out. I tried every gadget on the internet and nothings gets me past that. My guess is that maybe the air purge valve connection is blocked or not even installed. I guess I will have to take to a dealership and lose the use of my trailer for some extended time in order to beat the 1 year warranty expiration. If anyone has any ideas or tests I could try I am all ears.
flash25296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash25296 View Post
I have a Bullet 211 BHSWE and the control panel for water has always frustrated me. I contacted the dealer and manufacturer about the valves not appearing to be working according to the stickers installed. The Keystone kept saying contact your dealer and the dealer was saying to contact Keystone. Finally I got a district sales guy on the phone and sent him a picture and he said Yep looks correct. Turns out its not and seems others here have confirmed as well. So frustrating. How the heck am I supposed to know if something is installed properly. I don't build trailers nor have I previously owned one. If this kind of mistake was on a vehicle there would be a TSB notice to all dealers.

Also I have another issue that I can't solve and that is how to fill the fresh water tank to full. My spec sheet says 43 gallons and I can only fill to 22 gallons. I metered the water going in and coming out. I tried every gadget on the internet and nothings gets me past that. My guess is that maybe the air purge valve connection is blocked or not even installed. I guess I will have to take to a dealership and lose the use of my trailer for some extended time in order to beat the 1 year warranty expiration. If anyone has any ideas or tests I could try I am all ears.
Well, you've just "documented for the world to see" that everyone in the Keystone chain is not well versed in their products... Sort of like "believing the salesman" when he says, "Oh, you've got a half ton truck with an EcoBoost, you can tow anything we've got on the lot, let's go look at some really spacious trailers".....

Remember that there is a difference in "fresh water capacity" and what "fits in the fresh water tank"... Keystone (and all other manufacturers) use the "total fresh water capacity" in their specifications. There's 6 gallons in your water heater, so you're "immediately down to 37 gallons" that can fit in the fresh water tank. The "tank capacity" is determined with the tank sitting on a table, with all sides, top and bottom "unimpeded" so they can expand to fill to capacity. When Keystone installs the tank between two chassis crossmembers, then puts a "solid foam composition floor" on top and two steel straps under the tank, it no longer can "expand to full capacity"...

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't "feel duped" by the specifications, but neither should you believe that GMC SRW pickup can tow a 23,000 pound Fuzion, or that the "large economy size box of cereal" is the best buy, ounce for ounce.... After all, there's no longer a 5 pound bag of sugar available in any store that I've seen. They're all 4 pounds now....

Yeah, I know, lots of "extra BS" above, but don't believe that just because your trailer specs say you've got 43 gallons of fresh water capacity, that it's all "in the fresh water tank"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, winter, winterize