Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

I put one of those RV super shower heads on (can't recall name) but used the OLD hose going from bathtub faucet to shower head. Old hose ends were made of brittle plastic. Didn't use the metal ended ones that came with the fancy shower head. Guess where the metal ended hose was when the plastic one broke (squirted water ALL OVER)??? In my storage building with all the other RV spares. I was lucky in that I could drive to a Walmart and the hose on a residential is the same as the one for my RV application.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #22
sonofcy

Trans Alaska highway AND most of Canada. That's the issue, I am planning a cross Canada trip of some 7,200 Kms/4,500 miles one way. We got lots of country but few people. Canada is about 2% bigger in area, but only about 11.5% as many people.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #23
sonofcy

I don't own any more buildings, but I do have a construction trailer I use for storage. The only RV stuff that will be left in there will be cleaning supplies.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
And that's what keeps me awake at night and the reason for the post. It was triggered by the toilet ball valve ear breaking off so you can no longer work the toilet, EXCEPT, I have already fixed it once for a different problem, bought 2 of the parts so knew how it was put together and how it worked. The temporary fix is my Leatherman locking pliers clamped to what remains of the ear until the part arrives. Not 1 or 2 days as some have said, but 4 to 6, and I am a Prime member. I guarantee you none of the local RV stores will carry that part. In fact without the actual part number it is probably impossible to find on Amazon since I would never guess at the name they assigned it. This happens a lot. The amazon search consistently only showed an $80 subassembly no matter what I searched on but the actual part is $20.

Not to hijack your thread, but since you mentioned it, Amazon Prime is now ridiculous.

There is no such thing as 2 day delivery any longer that I can tell. They were running 10 days to 2 weeks and some....well, I've been waiting for 4 orders now since first week of March. Oh, even when they tell you it was "lost" (3 of them) they do not want to refund the money - no tracking info either other than "shipped". Than goodness for Amex; credited all of them back and I've cut my ordering to Amazon by 90%. Trying Walmart but they don't have much. Regular suppliers seem to be stepping up a lot from what they used to do. Covid may put Bezos in the paupers house if he can't find the go button. Sorry; back to spare parts.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but since you mentioned it, Amazon Prime is now ridiculous.

There is no such thing as 2 day delivery any longer that I can tell. They were running 10 days to 2 weeks and some....well, I've been waiting for 4 orders now since first week of March. Oh, even when they tell you it was "lost" (3 of them) they do not want to refund the money - no tracking info either other than "shipped". Than goodness for Amex; credited all of them back and I've cut my ordering to Amazon by 90%. Trying Walmart but they don't have much. Regular suppliers seem to be stepping up a lot from what they used to do. Covid may put Bezos in the paupers house if he can't find the go button. Sorry; back to spare parts.....
It depends where you are located, and what you are ordering. Some items are actually shipped by a third party, others come from deep in the Amazon supply chain and a few come from your local warehouse. The local warehouse is still 1 to 2 days, the amazon system is 3 to 5ish but 3rd party is anything, I have some printer ink ordered May 24th and could be as late as Aug 17 or as early as July 14th. I have enough as I put in a second order at the time for quick delivery at a slightly higher cost.
Where I live now there is a amazon warehouse a few dozens of miles away but where I lived before in a small remote town the nearest warehouse was hundreds of miles away. The warehouse that was a long way away would sometimes give me overnight delivery if I ordered early enough, but generally 2 days.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #26
Northofu1

I think it depends on the product you're ordering.
I follow a website called "camel camel camel" you cut and paste a url from Amazon, plug in a price you're willing to pay and it will email you.
I ordered my PI EMS on May 11 and it was delivered on May 13 for $501 CA +tax. The camel website emailed me yesterday and informed me that it had dropped in price to 445. I contacted Amazon for a rebate and they said no.
Now, I had already installed the original unit, so I asked for a shipping label to return that unit, they sent it via email and I ordered a new one yesterday. It came today.
I came home from work put the new unit in the old box and return label and shipped it back. I will get the $56 dollars back. I went back to camel and dropped the price notification again just in case. I would do the same thing again. I also ordered a Hengs 9" 3 speed reversible vent fan was here in two days. It is getting better, Covid threw a wrench into alot of things. The upside is I'm spending my camping money on upgrades lol

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #27
Harried Harry

My suggestion is to carry a four to six gallon (ten liter?) jug for water. In case you have water problems you'll have water to drink, or use for other things. A few years ago I was on a trip to my niece's wedding when the water line broke. I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it, so I bought a 6 gallon water container and we used that for the two weeks we were gone. I found the problem after we got home since nobody had repair parts and the one RV dealer I stopped at told me "we can get to you in two months".
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:47 AM   #28
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
My suggestion is to carry a four to six gallon (ten liter?) jug for water. In case you have water problems you'll have water to drink, or use for other things. A few years ago I was on a trip to my niece's wedding when the water line broke. I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it, so I bought a 6 gallon water container and we used that for the two weeks we were gone. I found the problem after we got home since nobody had repair parts and the one RV dealer I stopped at told me "we can get to you in two months".
Like most people who live on the west coast we have a full emergency kit. For us that includes 12G/45L of water in addition to our internal tank.
I thought of one more, for those that have them, a HepvO valve.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #29
jimborokz

every spring when we return north for the summer I look over all the tools and spares some of which I have accumulated during the winter. Rule is if I haven't used it in the last four years, it's time to remove it. I have probably shed 150 lbs over the last three years alone. When we started snowbirding I thought we would need everything possible. We didn't. I replaced the 3 gallon Rigid compressor with a smaller lighter ac/dc tankless one. Where we stay there's always a Walmart and Loew's nearby and Amazon is just two days away. (it's the Chinese stuff that takes forever) Basic tools and a variety of fasteners covers most of our needs. When I need to order something like a clearance lens I get a couple extras for spares and usually never need one again.
We do carry a basic first aid kit and an emergency kit consisting of two Black Box merlots.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #30
Snoking

Did anyone say multi-meter and learn how to use it? And a good wire connector crimp tool. I have a couple of these, along with a ratchet one, had works for #10 connectors. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...5SEN/100352095

Soldering gun and solder for electrical/electronics.