Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
sonofcy

Question Spare parts for fulltiming?

What spare parts do you carry? I am going on a 6 month road trip next spring and want to make sure I have replacement parts (within reason) for any part that might break.
I already have
A dinosaur board that works in both the furnace and water heater.
All the parts for the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet except the ball valve itself.
The usual anode and basic water filter.
Fuses and LED lights
Lots of fasteners, ties, screws etc.

What if anything am I missing?
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I carry a spare Dometic thermostat, roll of flex mend (scrim) tape, Dicor, a 4x6? sheet of Darco fabric and spray adhesive, all kinds of Robertson screws, spare bearings (haven't checked to see if they fit the new trailer but doubt it), toilet seal (didn't know if that was in what you had), spare water pressure regulator/filters etc., spare bbq pit (), all kinds of bungee cords, electrical connectors and I'm sure a lot of other stuff out there in my "spare" box.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

WD40 (mechanic in a can) and duct tape. A hammer and an adjustable wrench, maybe a screwdriver. OK I'm being facetious.

I tend to carry a lot of tools but the only thing I'd add extra for a long trip would be an extra spare for the camper. In this day and age you can pretty much get anything delivered in 2 or 3 days. That doesn't help if you have 2 flat tires (think running over a sharp object) in the middle of nowhere. So a second spare may save you from unhitching, driving hrs to and from a tire supplier. The Xtra spare and a wheel bearing/seal set and not much else that's probable can stop you dead in your tracks.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I carry a spare Dometic thermostat, roll of flex mend (scrim) tape, Dicor, a 4x6? sheet of Darco fabric and spray adhesive, all kinds of Robertson screws, spare bearings (haven't checked to see if they fit the new trailer but doubt it), toilet seal (didn't know if that was in what you had), spare water pressure regulator/filters etc., spare bbq pit (), all kinds of bungee cords, electrical connectors and I'm sure a lot of other stuff out there in my "spare" box.
Didn't think about a spare thermostat, but if all goes well I will have replaced them with my own by next spring. Spare bearings are a great idea, when I do the Timken upgrade I will get an extra set. I don't think I have any Darco on the trailer but maybe I misunderstand. No need for a BBQ pit, I have a portable Weber. Got all the rest, thanks for the input.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
DMK

A spare fresh water demand pump, fuel filter and fuel pump for genny.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
WD40 (mechanic in a can) and duct tape. A hammer and an adjustable wrench, maybe a screwdriver. OK I'm being facetious.

I tend to carry a lot of tools but the only thing I'd add extra for a long trip would be an extra spare for the camper. In this day and age you can pretty much get anything delivered in 2 or 3 days. That doesn't help if you have 2 flat tires (think running over a sharp object) in the middle of nowhere. So a second spare may save you from unhitching, driving hrs to and from a tire supplier. The Xtra spare and a wheel bearing/seal set and not much else that's probable can stop you dead in your tracks.
Tools I have aplenty. I was considering an extra spare if we go to alaska but that can't be before 2022 now after our cross Canada trip May 2021 to Sep 2021.
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
A spare fresh water demand pump, fuel filter and fuel pump for genny.
Got the pump already, no genny like that, I have a pair of Honda 2k's if I ever need more than my solar rig can handle.
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

A bottle jack and jackstand with cribbing. I have a set of duplicate circuit breakers and a bunch of DC fuses, a few extra light bulbs of the type in my camper (all incandescent). A spare coffee maker and a lot of K cups. A few EXTRA extension cords and an extra length of stinky slinky. A spare water filter and a spare filter for my Zero Water pitcher. Lots of toilet paper and more prescription drugs than I think I will need. I also carry some anti-D meds, indigestion pills (my bbq is sometimes requiring these), some allergy pills and a big bottle of 500 mg sleep time aspirins (can recall specific type of drug). A medicine kit is a great idea. I don't carry WD40 but do carry a couple cans of silicon lube. Last thing that comes to mind is RG6 in various lengths for varying placements of our sat dish.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
A bottle jack and jackstand with cribbing. I have a set of duplicate circuit breakers and a bunch of DC fuses, a few extra light bulbs of the type in my camper (all incandescent). A spare coffee maker and a lot of K cups. A few EXTRA extension cords and an extra length of stinky slinky. A spare water filter and a spare filter for my Zero Water pitcher. Lots of toilet paper and more prescription drugs than I think I will need. I also carry some anti-D meds, indigestion pills (my bbq is sometimes requiring these), some allergy pills and a big bottle of 500 mg sleep time aspirins (can recall specific type of drug). A medicine kit is a great idea. I don't carry WD40 but do carry a couple cans of silicon lube. Last thing that comes to mind is RG6 in various lengths for varying placements of our sat dish.
That's quite the list. I have several jacks, jack stands but since I have 6 point hydraulic jacks don't really need them. Spare circuit breakers are something I haven't considered, that will be spendy. Already have a couple of extra coffee makers, not those K types though. Don't have sat so no need for the RG. Got all the rest including a full blown survival kit.
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
GaryUT

I carry basic hand tools, electrical and plumbing parts and misc hardware. Duck tape and gaffers tape. WD-40, grease gun, and WD-40 dry lube.

A 10 foot roll of 6" eternabond tape, a can of cleaner, scissors, and a roller in case I have to do an emergency roof repair.

Tow chain, tow strap, 4 way lug wrench, and torque wrench with sockets to fit the lugs on the truck and trailer.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
I carry basic hand tools, electrical and plumbing parts and misc hardware. Duck tape and gaffers tape. WD-40, grease gun, and WD-40 dry lube.

A 10 foot roll of 6" eternabond tape, a can of cleaner, scissors, and a roller in case I have to do an emergency roof repair.

Tow chain, tow strap, 4 way lug wrench, and torque wrench with sockets to fit the lugs on the truck and trailer.

Gary
Yep, got all that, thanks for your input.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #12
Frank G

I got tired of carrying around a small RV store so I concentrate an a small Tool box with fuses, duct tape, and a assortment of screws. Everything else can be found at local RV stores or Walmart's. Most importantly, is good tires and maintenance, before the trip. Then, what do I need to get myself off the side of the road, Jack's, tire changing equipment, set of wheel bearings and seals, tube of grease. Don't forget a DOT roadside safety kit and high visibility vest.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I got tired of carrying around a small RV store so I concentrate an a small Tool box with fuses, duct tape, and a assortment of screws. Everything else can be found at local RV stores or Walmart's. Most importantly, is good tires and maintenance, before the trip. Then, what do I need to get myself off the side of the road, Jack's, tire changing equipment, set of wheel bearings and seals, tube of grease. Don't forget a DOT roadside safety kit and high visibility vest.
I am planning a cross Canada trip. It is about 4,500 miles ONE way. During that entire trip I would be near a Walmart maybe 8 or 10 days out of the 3 months. As for RV stores, finding them is a challenge and I seldom find the part I am looking for there. I like being prepared and self sufficient.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Based on where you'll be located, Amazon does have delivery. Most of the things I've needed over the years, if not available locally, are "1 or 2 day delivery" with UPS or FedEx. For me, I'm getting to where it's not worth having parts, tools, time, initiative (all in the same place at the same time) and planning for "failures" is a lot like planning for flat tires.... Sort of, "I'll deal with it when it happens"...

Basic tools for basic jobs, anything "special or time consuming/back breaking" is going to be "on the credit card and worry about it when we get home"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #15
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Based on where you'll be located, Amazon does have delivery. Most of the things I've needed over the years, if not available locally, are "1 or 2 day delivery" with UPS or FedEx. For me, I'm getting to where it's not worth having parts, tools, time, initiative (all in the same place at the same time) and planning for "failures" is a lot like planning for flat tires.... Sort of, "I'll deal with it when it happens"...

Basic tools for basic jobs, anything "special or time consuming/back breaking" is going to be "on the credit card and worry about it when we get home"...
I use amazon.CA a lot where I am now, but on our trip that will not always be possible. Canada is a bigger land mass than the USA with 10% of the people so we have large parts of empty space. AFAIK amazon needs an address to make a delivery and 1 or 2 day delivery is only in high traffic areas. Since we will be boondocking or staying at non campground places delivery isn't always possible. The parts I am asking about are the kind I need to get home or wherever I am going, not the leave it till I am home kind.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
travelin texans

If your luck runs like mine regardless of how many tools or spare parts you pack onboard there will always be one you won't have with you to complete the job!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #17
Texas Steve

A good collapsible ladder even if you have a roof access ladder. Spare lens covers for marker lights. Those things always seem to blow off!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

A Sprinter van towing a Haulmark Grizzly AXL trailer for the DW to follow carting all the spare parts and tools.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
Pull Toy

DUCT TAPE... WD 40... and a Visa card! Duct Tape stops it from moving. WD 40 makes it move. VISA pays for the parts you really do need to keep moving! Also pack a basic tool kit.

Almost any parts that break on the road can be found locally to wherever you are (Except on the Trans Alaska Hiway maybe.). Don't over think it, over pack it, and sweat the small sh*t!

Enjoy, and Good Luck

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #20
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If your luck runs like mine regardless of how many tools or spare parts you pack onboard there will always be one you won't have with you to complete the job!
And that's what keeps me awake at night and the reason for the post. It was triggered by the toilet ball valve ear breaking off so you can no longer work the toilet, EXCEPT, I have already fixed it once for a different problem, bought 2 of the parts so knew how it was put together and how it worked. The temporary fix is my Leatherman locking pliers clamped to what remains of the ear until the part arrives. Not 1 or 2 days as some have said, but 4 to 6, and I am a Prime member. I guarantee you none of the local RV stores will carry that part. In fact without the actual part number it is probably impossible to find on Amazon since I would never guess at the name they assigned it. This happens a lot. The amazon search consistently only showed an $80 subassembly no matter what I searched on but the actual part is $20.