Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
jwldmn1

Keystone Solar port

Hello All! I have searched and searched on these forums and haven't been able to find a clear answer on this. I recently bought a 2019 Keystone Sprinter 32fwbh that has the 10A furrion solar port on it. I know there are tons of "portable" solar kits out there, but I'm not 100% sure as to how they function. When you plug the panels in does it just charge the battery? When hooked up to battery power things like your TV, electric outlets, etc are disabled. When you hook the solar panel up does it override these so you can run your TV or outlets? Eventually I want to put in a whole system but for now I'm looking for an affordable temporary solution to be able to watch TV/DVD without having to turn the generator on.
jwldmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The solar panels are DC
(direct current) and your television/outlets are AC (alternating current). A solar panel would require a regulator to charge the battery and an inverter to operate any AC appliances.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
jwldmn1

Most portable panels have a built in inverter from what I understand. Either way, when the solar port is plugged in does the camper still think it is running off battery power, meaning certain electrical items are disabled, or does it act like you are plugged into a generator or power?
Old 04-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Is IS still operating off the battery. You would need an inverter to change the 12 vdc to 120 vac. The portable solar panels have a built in REGULATOR to keep it from overcharging the battery, not an inverter.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
jwldmn1

I appreciate your help, but it seems we are getting off track. Here is a version of what I'm talking about with a "portable solar kit."

https://www.campingworld.com/nature-...Flights-panels

My question is when the solar port is plugged in does the camper still think it is running off battery power, meaning certain electrical items are disabled, or does it act like you are plugged into a generator or power?
Old 04-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwldmn1 View Post
I appreciate your help, but it seems we are getting off track. Here is a version of what I'm talking about with a "portable solar kit."

https://www.campingworld.com/nature-...Flights-panels

My question is when the solar port is plugged in does the camper still think it is running off battery power, meaning certain electrical items are disabled, or does it act like you are plugged into a generator or power?
. The camper can't think, but the fact remains with the solar panel connected all it will do is provide a charge to the battery.

From your link "Includes 300W power inverter, 11A charge controller, and cables"

There are many "kits" out there, some come with the regulator some with the regulator and inverter as this kit does. That inverter will operate a television but that's about it and in that kit the inverter must be connected to the battery and whatever 120 vac device you want to use gets plugged into the inverter.. How long it runs depends on the capacity of the battery. A single 12 v "deep cycle/starting" battery doesn't have much storage capacity. The storage capacity is rated in Amp hours and not cold cranking amps.

I hope this helps clarify things. I'd suggest doing some research on The internet so you don't invest in a system that may not meet your needs or expectations.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
jwldmn1

Thanks, I'm trying to do the research and that kit just happened to be one I found. Eventually I want to do a complete solar setup but for now I'm looking for something quick.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

That particular add is deceiving and incorrect as it states the solar panel produces 110 vac and that's not true. The inverter changes the 12vdc to 120 vac. The 110 watt solar panel will at best produce about 9-10 amps of DC voltage to charge the battery. That 9-10 amps is full sun exposure with high sun which may only occur a couple of hours per day.

The battery will be your limiting factor as stated before. There are many combinations of solar systems that can range from about $100 to $10,000 or more. It all depends on needs/wants and budget.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Logan X

Any solar panel you use, including a portable panel plugged into the solar prep on your trailer, will only charge your batteries.

As Marshall said, to change your DC battery power to AC 110v “house” power, you will need a power inverter connected to you batteries.

Your ability to power things , like a TV, off of your batteries (while using an inverter), is limited by the size of your battery bank and the size of the inverter. There are many configurations at many different price points depending on what you need.

To answer your question about how to watch TV without a generator, here is what I do. I have 2 6v golf cart batteries and I have a small 300w inverter plugged into the 12v outlet behind my TV. I can camp for 3 or 4 days with this set up, including watching a lot of TV, without recharging the batteries.

My batteries cost about $230 for both and the inverter was about $50

Just a side note, don’t discharge your batteries more than 50% or you will damage them.

Here is a video on my set up if you are interested-

https://youtu.be/iaQZY_naOdE
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
GHen

The solar panels only charge the batteries.

The batteries provide power to the inverter.

The inverter provides power to the tv.

The systems are independent but connected. I just wanted to clarify that solar panels do not actually run the tv.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, solar