Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
rklus16

2017 28RKS XLite/Half-ton Leveling

Looking to see if anyone has similar setup.

We've been towing with our fifth wheel with a Ram 2500 with air bags and has always been nose high so I've been doing some measuring to see what I could do to level it out. Using the LCI level display to level the trailer front-to-back and then using a 4' level in the camper to make sure the floor was level everything checks out but the frame is not level. I've checked these measurements several times on different terrain (street, parking lot, campsite) and always comes out about the same.

Front: 25.5"
Rear: 20"

Hooking up to the truck the camper I get these measurements;

Front: 28.25"
Rear: 18"

If a person was to try and level this trailer with the frame. I don't even think you could do it with a half-ton pickup.

I've already raised the pinbox so now I only have 5.75" between the truck bed and camper. Planning on putting on some higher rated tires but might think about putting some 16" rims on as well. Axles are already flipped from the factory. Does have the Morryde CRE3000 equalizer suspension which I think is helping this a bit.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this.
Photo for reference. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nj...JDc6pMozSwFv6b

2019 Cougar 338RLK
2016 Ram 2500 Limited CC 6.7L
rklus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a consideration:

The diameter of 225/75R15 LRE tires is 28.13"
The diameter of 235/80R16 LRE tires is 30.79"

That's a diameter increase of 2.66", only half of which will "raise your trailer height, so you're looking at "gaining 1.33 inches in height" before any "tire squishing because of weight occurs"....

Also, keep in mind that the 15" LRE tires are speed rated at 81MPH while the 16" LRE tires are speed rated at 75MPH.

There are larger 16" tires, but I'd question if they will fit the wheelwells on the Cougar Half Ton fifth wheel series.

An alternative to gain 2" in trailer height at the axles is the Lippert Correct Track system. For a few years, Keystone installed it as OEM equipment. It may already be on your trailer, if so, the suggestion wouldn't work, but if your trailer does not have the "yellow discs" on the axle hanger assembly, then you might gain 2" by adding the system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
rklus16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also, keep in mind that the 15" LRE tires are speed rated at 81MPH while the 16" LRE tires are speed rated at 75MPH.

There are larger 16" tires, but I'd question if they will fit the wheelwells on the Cougar Half Ton fifth wheel series.

An alternative to gain 2" in trailer height at the axles is the Lippert Correct Track system. For a few years, Keystone installed it as OEM equipment. It may already be on your trailer, if so, the suggestion wouldn't work, but if your trailer does not have the "yellow discs" on the axle hanger assembly, then you might gain 2" by adding the system.
My current tires are rated for 75mph which is more than enough for us. I don't think new rims/tires is the right way. I do want to switch to a 10ply tire though.

I've been looking into this kit at etrailer but wasn't sure if it works with the correct track system which mine has. Quite expensive though.

2019 Cougar 338RLK
Old 04-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Canonman

We have the same issue with our Cougar. Would be interested as well about comments regarding the 2" Lippert lift kit. A local fabricator will install a complete subframe for about a grand that accomplish the same result.
Other than being careful going in and out of driveways I'm not sure if either method is worth the expense??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6604-2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	26699  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The only reason I addressed the tire changeout to 16" tires is because you said in your first post that you were considering that option. I agree with you, it won't make enough difference (about 1" to 1.5") to offset the expense of new tires, new wheels and losing the speed rating as well...

The answer to your question about using the Lippert Lift Kit with the Lippert Correct Track Kit, according to e-trailer, no, they can not be used together: https://www.etrailer.com/question-407832.html In that response, the e-trailer expert does address changing the axles to ride below the spring packs. On your trailer, like mine and most other fifth wheels, that has already been done by Keystone to gain as much road clearance/height to allow for the slides and under-floor wheelwells. So, essentially, the answer is "no" and "no" to those two options...

As canonman suggested, possibly a "frame lift kit" to raise the frame rails with extended spring hangers/frame support rails ??? That option will significantly increase the frame height, the trailer center of gravity and may dramatically affect road stability, especially in curves and emergency maneuvers, so don't do that without carefully weighing all the negatives to frame lifting as well as the positives that go along with that "usually very expensive modification"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
Canonman

The frame lift option is very stable. I've seen this guys work and had a chance to follow a rig with a 4" lift done on a toy hauler. Lots of ground clearance and level with his lifted truck but expensive like you'd expect for quality work.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
rklus16

How about the axle block kits? I was thinking maybe a 2" maybe 2.5" block. I've seen this done but don't personally know anyone that has.

Guess I could live with the way it is currently. Haven't had any issues thus far and tows fine. Next camper I'll be more cognizant about camper clearance height.

2019 Cougar 338RLK
Old 04-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklus16 View Post
How about the axle block kits? I was thinking maybe a 2" maybe 2.5" block. I've seen this done but don't personally know anyone that has.

Guess I could live with the way it is currently. Haven't had any issues thus far and tows fine. Next camper I'll be more cognizant about camper clearance height.

On our last cougar I lifted the frame, essentially. Most suspensions are mounted to a 2 inch square PC's of tube. I cut the welds between that and the frame rail. Added a second PC's of heavy tube and welded it back together. Simple way to keep stock hangers and shackle placement. Not for all donor yourselfers, but an easy project if your at all handy with the old buzz box. Brought the unit to damn near level towing.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling