Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Ptumid

Automatic transfer switch?

Hi all,

I have a 2019 Laredo WITHOUT a generator. I don’t believe it has the generator prep package so am I to assume that there is NO transfer switch?

I want to add a surge guard (Southwire 35550) hardwired into my system. I have opened up the basement and only see the power cord coming out of the floor (it connects in the rear of the rig.

It appears there is no access to the cord in the back without removing the underbelly.

Thanks in advance.
Ptumid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
McRod

What's the question? No, you don't have a transfer switch. Wire the surge guard in line as available prior to the converter.

Hope that answers your statement/question?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Anywhere PRIOR TO THE BREAKER PANEL, not the converter. You may be able to pull the breaker panel and se if there is room there. I would suggest a remote display if you "bury" the EMS.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Anywhere PRIOR TO THE BREAKER PANEL, not the converter. You may be able to pull the breaker panel and se if there is room there. I would suggest a remote display if you "bury" the EMS.
Most RVs, the breaker panel IS the converter. Has two sides AC and DC... But I suppose, technically the AC side ( breaker side) is first and the converter is jumpered to it on the DC side...even though they are the same box.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Most RVs, the breaker panel IS the converter. Has two sides AC and DC... But I suppose, technically the AC side ( breaker side) is first and the converter is jumpered to it on the DC side...even though they are the same box.
What's your point? I read this as Chuck saying to make the electrical connection "upstream" of the panel and not in between the panel and the converter. Seems like a very nit picking technicality that serves no purpose to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

Yes the power distribution panel has both a DC and AC side, a vast majority of RVs have a converter that is seperate and plugs into the AC side of the panel. Not here to argue, just want to make sure the OP is putting the protection in the right place.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:31 AM   #7
KRumm

Aren’t converters (built in or stand alone) wired thru one of the breakers in the breaker panel?

I always thought there was a cable (romex) that ran from the shore power plug to the breaker panel... wouldn’t you splice into that to install the surge guard?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Aren’t converters (built in or stand alone) wired thru one of the breakers in the breaker panel?

I always thought there was a cable (romex) that ran from the shore power plug to the breaker panel... wouldn’t you splice into that to install the surge guard?
That's exactly what Chuck stated in post #3.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote