Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
gspman

Gas Grill plumbing question

I am the proud owner of a 2019 Couger half ton 29RKS. It has the outdoor kitchen witha propane grill and fridge. It has a lp quick connect under the slide for the attached grill.
My question that i hope you people who know more than i about propane plumbing is.
I want to put a quick connect T/valve off that port to run my Weber Q2200 and the rear kitchen grill at the same time if needed.

The q grill is set up to run off off 1 lb propane bottle and has its own regulator (i believe from memory)

Can i do what i wish or do have further mods to do to make this work. I am thinking the gas would be pressure regulated twice, 1 by camper and 1 by q grill???

help ?
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your Weber grill will not operate with "double regulators".

There is a regulator INSIDE the grill that drops the 1 lb bottle pressure to 11" WC. That regulator has to be removed in order for your Weber grill to operate on the 11" WC propane in the "regulated trailer propane system".

So, yes, there are additional mods required to connect your Weber grill to the "already regulated trailer propane system".

There are several threads on this forum on "how to do it".

I urge you: DO NOT USE AIR COMPRESSOR FITTINGS !!!! They are not designed to install in a propane system and may result in a fire/explosion if you "cheap out on fittings at Lowe's or Home Depot".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Camp CA

Don't see why you can't. Just install the tee upstream of the rear kitchen propane grill's pressure regulator. Then run a new propane hose to the Webber's regulator. Recommend screwed vs. quick disconnects on propane lines.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Don't see why you can't. Just install the tee upstream of the rear kitchen propane grill's pressure regulator. Then run a new propane hose to the Webber's regulator. Recommend screwed vs. quick disconnects on propane lines.
As soon as the propane line leaves the tanks it is regulated.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
gspman

thanks so much for the quick answer, i have a source of fittings at camping world.
I was thinking just getting a hose and fitting would work..
so thx again for the info

Scott
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

There are adapters available that allow you to TEE off the tank before the regulator and then just get a long propane hose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are adapters available that allow you to TEE off the tank before the regulator and then just get a long propane hose.
That would put "high pressure propane" in the "long hose"... Not an ideal situation. Even in travel trailers/fifth wheels, if the "high pressure propane line" travels across the trailer, there's a "step down regulator" on the tank BEFORE it connects "8' away".... The problem is that "high pressure propane" remains liquid and interrupts gas flow in "that long line"....

So, it will "work most of the time" but it's not "safe" to have high pressure propane in a "long flexible line"... Imagine what would happen if a kid tripped over the propane hose while running and pulled the HP line off the grill ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

John: yeah your right. I guess I am having a senior moment.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
travelin texans

[QUOTE=JRTJH;383583.

So, it will "work most of the time" but it's not "safe" to have high pressure propane in a "long flexible line"... Imagine what would happen if a kid tripped over the propane hose while running and pulled the HP line off the grill ???[/QUOTE]

The safety valve in/on the tank would immediately shut off the flow, same as if a blowout took out the OEM lines or when you remove a tank for refill.
If adding your Weber, or any brand with it's own regulator, to an existing port the grill regulator WILL need to be removed.
I had a 25' long hose tee'd to my Weber from my tank for a lot years with never an issue
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The safety valve in/on the tank would immediately shut off the flow, same as if a blowout took out the OEM lines or when you remove a tank for refill.
If adding your Weber, or any brand with it's own regulator, to an existing port the grill regulator WILL need to be removed.
I had a 25' long hose tee'd to my Weber from my tank for a lot years with never an issue
It will work "most of the time".... That said, using a "high pressure propane line" is not "the safest or smartest" method of plumbing a gas grill 20' away from the propane tanks.

Saying "it will work, worked for me a lot of years" is like saying, "My TK tires are 12 years old and I've never had a blowout".... That doesn't make it "safer or assure it meets any plumbing code" it just means you didn't blow something up for a lot of years..... Do what you want, where you want, but that won't make a "work around" the "best or the safest way of doing things, it just makes it another way of taking a short cut from the right way".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #11
B-O-B'03

I have done what you are trying to do, hopefully these pictures will help.

Let me know if you also want links to some for the things I bought.

After modifying the Weber Q with a quick connect fitting I also added a coupler and bought a hose for the the regulator so I could use the grill with a 25# gas bottle.

I have a 10 foot hose that connects the Weber Q to the gas port on the camper.

Make sure you ues the yellow sealing tape and not the white stuff.

-Brian

Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It will work "most of the time".... That said, using a "high pressure propane line" is not "the safest or smartest" method of plumbing a gas grill 20' away from the propane tanks.

Saying "it will work, worked for me a lot of years" is like saying, "My TK tires are 12 years old and I've never had a blowout".... That doesn't make it "safer or assure it meets any plumbing code" it just means you didn't blow something up for a lot of years..... Do what you want, where you want, but that won't make a "work around" the "best or the safest way of doing things, it just makes it another way of taking a short cut from the right way".... YMMV
All the fittings, the hose, quick connects were purchased from a LP distributor designed for high pressure LP use. They were not a "work around" or "short cut" & it worked all the time, every time.
They were as safe as any LP fitting or connection the factory may have installed on any RV. Running rusty, corroded black pipe to the rear of a RV is probably not "up to code" either, but what did the factory use?
I worked for 30+ years on high pressure pipelines, one of which was LPG, so making safe, secure connections is something I'm well aware of.
As you said, you do, or think, what you will, I gave advice, safe advice I might add, to the OP so they can do what they want to do.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
All the fittings, the hose, quick connects were purchased from a LP distributor designed for high pressure LP use. They were not a "work around" or "short cut" & it worked all the time, every time.
They were as safe as any LP fitting or connection the factory may have installed on any RV. Running rusty, corroded black pipe to the rear of a RV is probably not "up to code" either, but what did the factory use?
I worked for 30+ years on high pressure pipelines, one of which was LPG, so making safe, secure connections is something I'm well aware of.
As you said, you do, or think, what you will, I gave advice, safe advice I might add, to the OP so they can do what they want to do.
If I might ask: How do you work around the requirement for a step down regulator from the tank to the final regulator? That's a requirement from the tank to the final regulator in every RV application, even with dual tanks/one regulator, when they are separated by more than 5'...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
travelin texans

Not sure of your question, but the grill has a regulator in this instance.
Yes the hose from the tank to the grill is high pressure, but with the safety valves in the tank & the POL fitting on the tank there shouldn't be more than a small puff, just what's in the 1/4" ID hose, if suddenly disconnected. With the added valve to that hose at the tank there's no pressure on the hose when not in use.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #15
jim1

Hey check out propanegear.com they have conversion and quick coupler kits for most portable grills. I purchased on for my Coleman road trip portable and it works great.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure if your question, but the grill has a regulator in this instance.
Yes the hose from the tank to the grill is high pressure, but with the safety valves in the tank & the POL fitting on the tank there shouldn't be more than a small puff, just what's in the 1/4" ID hose, if suddenly disconnected.
There is a step down regulator "REQUIRED" in all high pressure LPG systems used in RV applications where there is more than 5' of "high pressure LPG transmission." The purpose is not "safety" but to prevent the accumulation of liquid LPG in the high pressure line. By installing a "10' flex hose" without the step down regulator, the line is not in compliance with RV LPG installation requirements and can (not will) allow liquid LPG to accumulate in the flex line. That's "more than a "Pffft" of gas in a 1/4" ID hose if suddenly disconnected, provided the tank safety valve functions.

Check out any fifth wheel with tanks on each side of the front compartment, the "off regulator side" will always have a step down regulator BEFORE the cross pipe. That's the part "missing from your work around high pressure line", and the reason it's not the "best idea" to just run a 10' HP flex line from the tank....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
jim1

And check out propanegear.com for their propane quick connect y-adapters
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #18
NH_Bulldog

I thought about the same thing for about 5 minutes on our first trip out ( we have the same outdoor kitchen set-up). I decided simple was better; I always carry a spare 20 lb tank in a milk crate in the bed of the truck anyway. I take it out, set it on the ground at the rear of my camper, attach a Coleman tree direct to the tank, and I can run a fry-pot burner, portable grill and a lantern on top. All fittings are standard and it’s safe and meets any and all codes.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
travelin texans

If worried about using a long hose without a "step down" regulator then by all means do not do so.
You will however have to remove any regulator mounted to any grill if connecting after the RV regulator or the grill won't work. If your particular grill has the flame adjustment control knob built into the regulator it WILL NOT work after the RV regulator at all.
I will continue to use mine as I have it set up for another several years or til I blow something up, hopefully the RV LPG code police don't catch me.
Sorry to the OP for all the confusion! Hopefully you'll come to a safe solution with yours.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I have done what you are trying to do, hopefully these pictures will help.

Let me know if you also want links to some for the things I bought.

After modifying the Weber Q with a quick connect fitting I also added a coupler and bought a host for the the regulator so I could use the grill with a 25# gas bottle.

I have a 10 foot hose that connects the Weber Q to the gas port on the camper.

Make sure you ues the yellow sealing tape and not the white stuff.

-Brian

I did the same thing on mine except I just bought a Y fitting that quick connects into the fitting on the camper which allows me to quick connect to the weber grill and the cooktop in the outdoor kitchen at the same time. Except we hardly ever use them both at the same time. We pretty much just use the weber grill. Can not remeber for sure where I bought the fittings but I think I got them from Amazon. Did not use a second regulator though.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, plumbing