Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #21
5J's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Thanks! I ordered my truck. Which box did I fail to check? Cargo camera! I can line up pretty good using the rear seat center head rest but have to stop and look for depth.
It doesn't take long to get used to judging that distance. In mine I can see the hitch and ball out the back window but that will be a challenge with a folding bed cover. I'd be curious to see how well a camera would work at that angle. BigTruckBigRV has a good video on an additional camera.

https://youtu.be/OtwfBStzX5s

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
gearhead

Maybe I just need to raise my seat up when I'm hitching.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #23
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I can see my hitch in the rear view mirror Hit the hitch every time. Most of the time its centered perfect.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #24
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoa2 View Post
Good evening,
We are moving up to to a 5th wheel - Cougar 25RES. We upgraded the truck this week (because of course we were told our 1500 could pull it...). We got a GMC Sierra2500 HD, 6.5" bed. I've been pouring through the forums on hitches and think I may be more confused than when I started researching.
We like the idea of the Anderson due to it's low weight and ease to remove it. However, we have a rolling Tonneau cover, and I am also now concerned about chucking (which I just learned about!)
Any suggestions on a good hitch set up? Do I need to upgrade the Pin box since the Cougar's advertise max turning radius and the Road Armour suspension?
I made the move from a TT to a fifth wheel this past spring. I am towing a Solitude 310GK with a Ram 3500 SRW short-box using the Andersen. I also have a trifold cover.
The only “chucking” I have experience was due to uneven concrete highway pavement and that is something all of us has experienced.
I like the fact I can remove the Andersen without the need of friends or a overhead hoist and with the lower weight it gives me more cargo capacity.
So, basically it is what you desire-a traditional hitch, a goosebox or the Andersen.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #25
owen4it

I’ve got a Reese 16000 slide and it fits under the tonneau cover. I’ve had this hitch since 2003 and it’s still going strong! I’ve used the slide in it maybe a handful of times just to see if it worked playing around. Easy to use comes apart in two pieces so you can lift it and you can hitch up at a ninety degree angle if you need to! IMO you don’t want an auto slide because most limit you to hitching straight on only. I’ve towed three 5 th wheels with it currently I have a 27RKS Xlite and no issues!
owen4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
skmct

You will love your B&W. We have towed ours across the country twice hooked and unhooked hundreds of times the tilting saddle is great in all situations. We also have the gm 6.5 ft bed. The pin can be located in three positions if you are having cap clearance issues. It can be move 2" fore or aft of the center witch is centered with the truck axle. What I like is it can be taken out of the truck in two pieces which makes it easer to handle. Good luck and enjoy.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
Spletbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Attachment 24430Our Ram 2500 is a short box with Trifold cover. We use the Anderson. Very solid, no chucking and no clearance issues at all with our Cougar. Once we unhitch I simply unfold the cover. The hitch ball is below the rail height of the Ram so no issues there. The ease of removing the Anderson and being able to do it without help is a big deal around here. I also find it very easy to hitch and unhitch the Cougar by myself as well. IMHO you'd be very happy with that set up.
Nice set up, and nice camp site! What solar do you have, and what batteries, and does the solar do a good job or recharging the batteries? Happy thanksgiving! 🦃
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #28
RET.LEO

With experience you will soon be able to nail backing into it watching your side view mirrors simply by seeing the position of the trailer in it.
Did it for years driving a cab over semi. No camera needed back then. Best practice though is to get out of the cab and look for yourself to make sure you're lined up...................you'll make yourself proud most days...........other days you'll be glad you got out to double check.
Also check visually after you are connected...............no surprises that way................anything mechanical is capable of failing.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch