Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
blue1069

location of water pump

I have a 2014 keystone Cougar fifth wheel 29RLI and cannot get water when not hooked up to city water. Where is the water pump located? I here it by the freshwater outlet by the rear of the trailer and I called Keystone Cougar and asked them and they told me that it was in the front storage compartment .
blue1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
jlonginav

I have a 2018 Cougar 367FLS. I found mine when I removed the side walls behind the fresh water fill area in the pass thru storage
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
blue1069

My Fresh water outlet is in the back of the trailer and you’re saying yours is by the storage compartment. I don’t understand why all the trailers do not have it in the same place .
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1069 View Post
My Fresh water outlet is in the back of the trailer and you’re saying yours is by the storage compartment. I don’t understand why all the trailers do not have it in the same place .
Every trailer may be different due to location of appliances (sink, shower, etc.) and water tank coupled with space available. Every year may be different and even within specific models there may be differences based on installed options. So you can't compare your 2014 trailer with a 2016 trailer of a different model.

When you say "outlet", do you mean something like an external shower head? Or do you mean the "inlet" - the place you add water to the trailer?

For the pump, start by listening; if you hear it in the back by the rear kitchen, look for removable access panels or portions of the cabinets behind which it could be hidden. Pull out the drawers - look for less than solid cabinet dividers. Get down on your hands and knees - it's almost guaranteed to be in a hard to reach difficult to access area. It will almost always be on or near the floor. You will likely need to remove panels just to see it.

You should also look close to the filling (inlet) location, or close to the water heater, or maybe under the bathroom near the shower - usually pumps are located near the water tank so as to minimize the "suction lift" for the pump. After the pump, the water can be plumbed anywhere in the trailer. So find the tank first and then look in close proximity for your pump.

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
blue1069

Thank you Brad. I hate to say but you are right, I stopped at camping world and asked them and they told me the same thing.But I still cannot understand something like a water pump that often goes bad should be easier to get to on all trailers you would think.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
blue1069

And by the way Brad I Meant inlet where I feed the water is where I hear the sound when I turn on the water switch by the back of the trailer next to the couch.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1069 View Post
Thank you Brad. I hate to say but you are right, I stopped at camping world and asked them and they told me the same thing.But I still cannot understand something like a water pump that often goes bad should be easier to get to on all trailers you would think.
In my previous rig, all these mechanisms were easily available through some kind of hatch or door that you didn't need a tool to access.

So far, in my Cougar, I've found the water heater winterizing valves behind a screwed-in finish panel, and I still have no idea how to access the water pump.

To get to the 12V charger/converter, I think I would have to lift out the range, because from hearing it hum, it's behind the fusebox, and that's not coming out. Too bad, because one of the things a knowledgeable RV owner is supposed to know is if his converter is a single-stage or a three-stage. And, hom tont ho!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
In my previous rig, all these mechanisms were easily available through some kind of hatch or door that you didn't need a tool to access.

So far, in my Cougar, I've found the water heater winterizing valves behind a screwed-in finish panel, and I still have no idea how to access the water pump.

To get to the 12V charger/converter, I think I would have to lift out the range, because from hearing it hum, it's behind the fusebox, and that's not coming out. Too bad, because one of the things a knowledgeable RV owner is supposed to know is if his converter is a single-stage or a three-stage. And, hom tont ho!
Shut off the power.
Open the breaker panel's hinged cover - remove the four screws - the front of the power panel will lift off, allowing access to the breakers, etc.

Remove the 4 to 6 screws from the edges of the power panel box.
Gently work the power panel out of the cabinet - there should be plenty of excess wiring to allow for this. The converter will be mounted onto the back of the panel or on the floor near the panel

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Shut off the power.
Open the breaker panel's hinged cover - remove the four screws - the front of the power panel will lift off, allowing access to the breakers, etc.

Remove the 4 to 6 screws from the edges of the power panel box.
Gently work the power panel out of the cabinet - there should be plenty of excess wiring to allow for this. The converter will be mounted onto the back of the panel or on the floor near the panel
You know, if prospective new buyers of RV's (5th and TT) joined our group before they bought I think many of them would conclude to stay in motels.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #10
notanlines

CD, I believe you are referring to "There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
Richard Bach
Actually it does apply in this situation.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #11
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post

The water pump in this trailer is in the carpeted box just to the left of the bed as you're looking forward. The top of the box just lifts off. FYI
Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
BadmanRick

questions : is you onboard water tank full or has water in it?
Is your external water hookup off or disconnected?
Did you turn on the pump at the control panel?
Can you hear the pump run when you open a water spigot.
If it is running but no water pressure then the pump may be bad. Replace pump.
If the pump is not running check the fuse in the fuse box.
If none of this works take it to rv service center. If under warranty take it back to dealer.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
blue1069

I found my water pump in the back of the trailer next to the couch. I had to knock out the panel from the shelf and replace the water pump and it works fine now. Thanks for all the help in locating the pump on this site .
Old 05-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #14
MarkEHansen

@lhaven - that box contains the water pump and the controller for the Ground Control 3.0 leveling system (the controller, not the control panel which is in the forward pass-through) - FYI.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
LHaven

Thank you! We haven't yet camped in a no-city-water situation, but when we do, I'm sure the water pump going off right next to my wife's side of the bed will please her immensely.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #16
MarkEHansen

Well, it really only runs when you use water (like flushing the toilet). Some talk of installing accumulators to lessen the running of the pump. There are some concessions made to the fun of dry camping
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

If the DW's head is next to the water pump (or even if it's your head) and flushing the toilet causes "wakeups" you can always just fill the toilet with a tad extra water before bed, turn the pump off and whoever gets up during the night can still flush without any worry of the pump waking their partner.

Now, if there's multiple flushes from multiple people, that wouldn't work, maybe a pail in the tub/shower and a ladle??? I suppose it boils down to which is more important, sleeping or flushing......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump