Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
Laredo Tugger

Another post on the board "First Tow with new to us Ram DRW" shows a clever hitch receiver mounted to the king pin box for the bike rack. The post OP claims the bikes clear the TV when making turns. He made it sound fairly easy to fabricate and install.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
slow

Bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Question for the masses,do the bikes make any difference on air flow for engine cooling when mounted on the front of a TV?

Thanks

RMc

Years ago we had our bikes on a TV front rack and had no cooling issues. Only many bugs to clean off the bike frames and spokes. Not something I would do again if I had other options.

Based on the few bugs I see on the front of our TT other than near the sides, a TT tongue mounted bike rack should not have the problem with bugs.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #23
Laredo Tugger

Now that you mention it (bugs), that would explain the bike covers in the pictures posted on that other post. Hmmm....
Back to the back of the trailer I guess.
RMc
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #24
Reddog222

If you end up using a receiver at the rear of your camper, and are looking for a bike rack ,make sure it is rated for that application. Not all bike racks are certified for the rear of r v s. Like someone mentioned , the backend of campers can get quite violent. I think I bought mine from E Trailer. Heavy duty. My first cheap rack started breaking apart after my second short trip.
Andersen Hitch
Reddog222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #25
Msmith2054

I know there will be many that will give their opinions on this, but this is what I tried as just an experiment first, but now use regularly.
I bought a pair of Safety Struts on Amazon to see if they would beef up my bumper/sewer hose storage tube mounting so I could use it for a bike rack mount also. I used a Curt bolt on receiver to attach the bike rack and installed the Safety Struts as instructed. Took me about 30 minutes to install all three pieces.
I tested this before I went on my first trip by installing my 4 bike rack on the bolted on receiver and hung a 200 lb weight from the bike rack. I bounced up and down on this weight (I weigh around 270) and there was a little deflection in the middle of the bumper, but the areas where the bumper was welded to the frame was solid. I left the weight hanging overnight and there was no deformation.
I have now made 4 trips with bikes on this rack and there has been no indication of failure. The TT spare tire is also still mounted to the bumper.

Just my 2 cents. This works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BEB5CB8-5F01-4B55-A2C8-37C3FDC0D141.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	20564  
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #26
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmith2054 View Post
I know there will be many that will give their opinions on this, but this is what I tried as just an experiment first, but now use regularly.
I bought a pair of Safety Struts on Amazon to see if they would beef up my bumper/sewer hose storage tube mounting so I could use it for a bike rack mount also. I used a Curt bolt on receiver to attach the bike rack and installed the Safety Struts as instructed. Took me about 30 minutes to install all three pieces.
I tested this before I went on my first trip by installing my 4 bike rack on the bolted on receiver and hung a 200 lb weight from the bike rack. I bounced up and down on this weight (I weigh around 270) and there was a little deflection in the middle of the bumper, but the areas where the bumper was welded to the frame was solid. I left the weight hanging overnight and there was no deformation.
I have now made 4 trips with bikes on this rack and there has been no indication of failure. The TT spare tire is also still mounted to the bumper.

Just my 2 cents. This works for me.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice. I think I'm going to give the safety struts a chance.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #27
Laredo Tugger

I was going to go on a mission for scrap metal and try to weld supports from the existing bumper mount. One strap on top and bottom, but after seeing those Safety Struts I cam avoid hiring a welder.
Looks like the right part for the job.
Thanks
RMc
Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

The safety struts will help "stiffen the weld between the frame rail extension and the 4" square bumper tube. The safety struts will NOT strengthen the thin frame rail extension that's welded to the frame rail and to which the bumper tube is attached.

IF (a very big two letter word) the frame rail extensions on your trailer frame are heavy enough to support the weight of the bumper, the safety struts and the cargo you plan to carry, then the safety struts are a option you might want to consider....

ON THE OTHER HAND, IF (that word again) the frame rail extensions on your trailer are 16 ga square tubing, spot welded to the aft end of your frame rails and spot welded to the 16 ga square bumper tube, then installing safety struts will only move the break point from the bumper/frame rail extension welds to the frame rail/frame rail extension welds....

Before spending the money on a "fix someone else said worked for them" please crawl under your trailer, study the way YOUR rear bumper is attached to the rail and then make the determination whether there is enough strength in the frame rail extensions to support what you plan to carry.

The safety strut supports work well for some trailers and are a "dismal failure" for others. Depending on how your rear bumper is attached, you may be wasting money even trying......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #29
Laredo Tugger

John,
I understand what you are saying. I will take a better look at the attachment point of the complete bumper assembly. I have been under the trailer a few times and know that there is a material that seals the underside of the trailer. I will pull that back (to the best of my ability without damage) tomorrow and see how the bumper is attached.
Question:Is an aftermarket hitch designed to attach to the frame rails or the extension arms?
I may be back to the front with these bikes using a king pin box mount as I saw on a post by rhagfo. My only concern about the front mount is bugs on the bikes (which a cover will fix) and maybe a loss of wind deflection off the nose of the trailer,meaning maybe not as good fuel mileage. Guess I will just have to get over that.
Thanks for your info.
RMc
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
Canonman

Bikes get dirty on the back too. Unreal how much road grime gets kicked up back there especially if there is any rain etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Cottonwood-.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	20574  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
John,
I understand what you are saying. I will take a better look at the attachment point of the complete bumper assembly. I have been under the trailer a few times and know that there is a material that seals the underside of the trailer. I will pull that back (to the best of my ability without damage) tomorrow and see how the bumper is attached.
Question:Is an aftermarket hitch designed to attach to the frame rails or the extension arms?
I may be back to the front with these bikes using a king pin box mount as I saw on a post by rhagfo. My only concern about the front mount is bugs on the bikes (which a cover will fix) and maybe a loss of wind deflection off the nose of the trailer,meaning maybe not as good fuel mileage. Guess I will just have to get over that.
Thanks for your info.
RMc
My hitch is welded to the frame rails, forward of the frame extension tubes and to the steel crossmember that ties the two frame rails together. It is not welded or attached to the thin square tube extensions that hold the rear bumper on. There is, on my Cougar, two 16 ga square tubes about 2"x4" welded to the inside of the steel frame rail. They are about 18" long and extend out from under the trailer. The bumper is welded to these "thin metal tubes". My rear scissors jacks are mounted to the bottom of the two frame extension tubes, directly under the rear part of the steel frame rails. I can jump on my rear bumper and see those two square tubes flex. I believe that if I used the Safety Strut devices on the bumper, the frame extension/bumper spot welds would probably hold. But with the flexing of the square tubes, I believe the square tubes would either collapse or the welds would break where they are welded to the steel frame.

As I said, some trailers use longer steel frame rails and if the bumper is welded to the steel frame, then the safety struts should help beef up the bumper installation. On the other hand, if any trailer is constructed like mine, all you'd be doing is moving the "weakest spot" from the square bumper tube/frame extension to the frame extension/steel frame rail weld spot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
Laredo Tugger

I got a look at the "bumper" mounting. There are 2 short (maybe 18") pieces of the 2x4 metal you described welded (tacked with 4 short welds on each piece) to the bottom of the main frame "I" beams. Those arms extend and "T" at the bumper with small angled pieces welded at that intersection for support.
I can see your point about re enforcing one point of the bumper and neglecting another with the Safety Struts.
Options are abundant here. Lots of ideas about how to carry the bicycles and spare tire safely. It is apparent if any welding is done under the trailer special attention should be directed at wiring,plumbing,insulation and weather protection materials.
Thanks
RMc

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack