Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
KeithBook

The tank is likely ABS plastic, but i am not sure about tha clear pipe. Get some acetone and rub a small area on the tank and pipe. If it gets sticky, then its ABS. If it is, then the following procedure should work.

I could not find any ABS glue, so i made some. I bought a pipe part from the RV store and cut it up into smaller pieces. I bought a 1 quart metal paint can and acetone from the harware store along with a small amount of fiberglass window screen.

Put the cut-up ABS plastic pipe in the metal can and fill it 1/3rd with acetone and seal the can. Stirr every few days. It will take several days to turn into a liquid paste. If it is to liquid, leave the top of the can open for evaporation. If to thick, add more acetone.

Sand rough the area around the crack. Maybe 4”. Paste on the ABS glue and when still wet, put on strips of the fiberglass screen (think paper mache’). Let that harden a few minutes and repeat. When that hardens, sand and put a top layer of the ABS plastic on top. Sand smooth.

You are good to go.
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
apachewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your welcome. Let me know if that fixes it.

Remember to ask for ABS glue not PVC.
Also if possible try to wrap some drywall fiberglas tape around the repair before applying ABS glue. That will help strenghtening the repair joint. I have repaired numerous item that way.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
KeithBook

Yes, the drywall fiberglass tape may be easier to work with than the fiberglass screen. Need to build up several layers of the fiberglass take, glue, etc. for strength.
KeithBook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank