Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
jimsny

Central vacuum

Anyone put in a central vacuum in there 5er and if so what's a good brand and model and where to install it.
jimsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
bobbecky

Not sure where one could be installed as every rig is different, floor plans and electric. We have one that came in our rig, an Intervac, and suffered with it for a number of years. Sure do miss the better vacuums we had in the sticks and bricks before going fulltime. We finally got a Shark Ion Flex rechargeable battery powered vacuum for the rig and put all the parts from the central vac in storage. Having to drag the hose from one end of the rig to the other was a pain, especially when close to the end of the hose with the vacuum trying to make it shorter due to suction. Our Shark came with two batteries and one is usually enough to do the whole rig if it is fully charged when we start.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
mtofell

You can have mine.... I've never used it

For all the hassle and expense why not just get a Dyson cordless or something similar? I can run through my rig and be done before I could find the hoses and attach them to the central system.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
mikz86ta

Never use ours. Intervac. Came with the Fuzion. Mounted in the stairs and accessible from the understorage area when u remove the walls under there. We use a shop vac instead. The built in one works fine tho
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
cookinwitdiesel

I have an Intervac in my TT, it works ok but I would not go through the trouble of installing one after market. It is installed, but not really a "central vac" more of just a cabinet mounted vacuum. It has a tiny bag, decent sucking power (at least when new), and is forgettable.....I would get something portable
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #6
Frederick

We have one in are Alpine it came installed we do not like it hose very difficult to work with we are getting a one of the small vacuums to hang in closet I see t a lot of the new 5ers came with the small vas.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #7
travelin texans

Ours came with a Dirt Devil built in, fortunately we have very little carpet so it works fairly well on the tile but doesn't do much on the carpet. Bought a corded Shark stick vacuum that came with a very long cord & can do the entire 5er without moving the plug, does 110% better job than the DD & much easier to use.
The only plus to the DD is the dust pan vacuum at the base of the stairs, sweep debris over to it, kick on with your toe & sweep into it, gone, it's the only function on it we've used in a couple years. Personally I wouldn't go to all the work/expense to build one in & be so disappointed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We all (well most of us) complain about the cheap stereo, the "low feature TV", the refrigerator that doesn't cool as expected, the A/C's that won't keep the trailer comfortable, the furnace that's too noisy, the microwave that doesn't work properly, the water heater that runs out of hot water mid-shower, the faucet that we can't get our hands under, the shower head that doesn't provide a decent shower, the mattress that's not really a mattress, the furniture that's uncomfortable, the table that "rocks when you eat", the holding tank sensors that always read "full", the water pump that's noisy, the power center that isn't marked properly..... Well, you get the idea...... So, why would the "built in vacuum" be the only "top of the line" appliance????

As for installing one, the ONLY benefit (and it's not beneficial) to having a built in vacuum is not having to store it, but you still have the problem of storing the hose, attachments and wand. Plus, when it breaks, or when the bag is full, you've got to "crawl inside some cubbyhole" to replace the bag. Much easier to buy a quality (Dyson or Shark) stick vacuum, corded or cordless, your choice, based on where you camp and use the vacuum, and store it where you'd have needed to store the "hose and parts" for a built in vacuum.

Yeah, if you haven't noticed by now, I'm not a fan of built in vacuums. My limited experience with them is that if they come with the trailer, they are the cheapest, poor performance model from the lowest bid manufacturer and where they're installed, typically always smells like an old vacuum cleaner bag.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
ChuckS

Our Alpine came with built in Dirt Devil. It does a superb job...but we used it one season and have not used sine.. we bought a Shark and it’s much easier to use, easy to dump the container, no bags and hose and attachments to store...If the option to not have the built in vac was available I’d have went that route..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
larryflew

If i had not removed and trashed or Alpine's built in Dirt Devil system you could have it. Having to store hoses etc for a mediocre vacuum wasn't worth it.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote